• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon travel scope (6 Viewers)

East coast west coast

Ivan said:
I tried the Nikon at the Birdfair and think they are onto a winner. The price is £299 without eye-piece but all the Fieldscope ones fit. I occasionally help out at Minsmere selling optics and one of the biggest points to a beginner buying a scope is its weight. A lot of older people are taking up birding or are just unable to carry a 'standard' 'scope around. This new Nikon is ideal for them. It is so small you could put it in a pocket and not notice it. I have an old EDII 60mm Nikon which I can carry in a pocket in the back of my gillet but the new 50 is even smaller than it. It's weight is quoted as 455g for the straight and 470g for angled. It is 209mm long st and 207mm ang.
I looked thro' it at the Birdfair and was very impressed. A bright, clear and sharp image. I would have liked to have a more extensive test of it but, like everything at the 'Fair, time was of the essence. The colour scheme may put a few people off tho'. Olive green(not too bad but metallic) rose pink and charcoal grey.
I have just read the leaflet I picked up about them and they are water proof to 1m for 5 minutes. Thankfully I live on the East not the West coast of Englandhttp://www.birdforum.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=396260#
Winking

Ivan
You are very lucky to live on the east coast I live on the west coast its rained every day for the last three weeks,in fact its raining as I type this.
FIDDLER

Moving prism focus

henry link said:
I wish Nikon would provide more information about the design details of this scope. Calling it a Fieldscope suggests that it is a 50mm version of the larger ED Fieldscopes, but pictures of it suggest that it's design has as much or more in common with Nikon's inexpensive scopes. For instance you can see from the photos that the angled version does not use the monoblock Abbe prism found in the larger Fieldscopes. From it's shape it appears that the angled version uses either a Schmidt-Pechan roof prism or more likely adds an extra prism with 2 reflections (one mirror coated) behind the porro prism of the straight version. That's a cheaper way to make an angled scope, but it results in considerably lower light transmission compared to the Abbe prism of the larger Fieldscopes. The extra prism is also the only way to make an angled version if focusing is done by moving part of the porro prism cluster, which is usually the method used in inexpensive scopes. The larger Fieldscopes use a more expensive moving focusing element rather than a moving prism. From the photos it's not possible to tell for sure how the ED-50 is focused, but it looks like it probably uses a moving prism. The large Fieldscopes use triplet objectives with fairly high focal ratios by spotting scope standards, f/7 for the 60mm and f/6.4 for the 82mm. Nikon doesn't tell us whether the ED-50 uses a triplet or a less expensive doublet but the focal ratio of the objective is f/5.6. That's pretty low for a high quality telescope, especially if it uses a doublet objective.

None of these design differences would make the 50mm a bad telescope, but they would make it a significantly different design and almost certainly not as good as the other ED fieldscopes, particularly the angled version. Perhaps that's the reason Nikon refers to it as an "entry level" or backup scope and prices it so much lower than the 60mm ED. Still the combination of tiny size and weight, ED glass and compatability with the excellent Fieldscope eyepieces do make it look like a very interesting scope for it's intended purposes.
Hi Henry
You say that focusing with a moving prism is a cheaper way of making a scope I have a Leica APO 77 Telivid though I have the straight through model. This scope as you are well aware is not only one of the best birding scopes on the market but also one of the most expensive. I wonder why they chose this method of focusing.Just curious thats all.
FIDDLER

trealawboy said:
Is there a stay-on case available for this scope yet?

Mine came with a soft case, which almost could be a stay on case except the lens cover doesn't detach and there's no access to the focus. A bit of a shame that Nikon didn't incorporate these features. It wouldn't be that hard to do or cost very much. Maybe they just want to make lots of money from SOCs.

25-75 zoom lens ok for ed50?

Hi,
Thinking of buying a new zoom lens for my ed78 - the 25-75 - and thought i might throw in an ed50 body. any reason to think the zoom is not suitable for the ed50?

andrew

amh2029 said:
Hi,
Thinking of buying a new zoom lens for my ed78 - the 25-75 - and thought i might throw in an ed50 body. any reason to think the zoom is not suitable for the ed50?

andrew

works fine. The reduction to 13-40 much improves the Field of view.

pduxon said:
works fine. The reduction to 13-40 much improves the Field of view.

I've found focusing tricky at times while using the top magnification - a fine focus would have helped. Also, as you'd expect for a 50mm objective, the image isn't particularly usable at the top magnification on duller days. Still managed to take some ok-ish shots digiscoping with it and a Canon A70 while on holiday last year though:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/batespix/67556523/

dombates said:
I've found focusing tricky at times while using the top magnification - a fine focus would have helped. Also, as you'd expect for a 50mm objective, the image isn't particularly usable at the top magnification on duller days. Still managed to take some ok-ish shots digiscoping with it and a Canon A70 while on holiday last year though:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/batespix/67556523/

yeah true but I think the depth of field thing is a problem with the zoom not the scope. I know a birder who complained about it on the ED82. To be fair it stands up better in dull light than I would have expected.

It is certainly not as good as say a top 60mm or espesh 80mm scope but the darn thing is so portable!!

Last edited:
Pete,

Depth of field of the Nikon zoom is just as good as with any other eyepiece at the same magnification. In the big Fieldscope, since you get magnifications well above 60x, the depth of field at these higher magnifications is naturally less than with other scopes at 60x.

The 60 and 82mm Fieldscopes have a very fast focus ratio, and this can easily give an impression of shallower depth of field. Once precise focus is achieved, depth of field is the same as with any other scope at the same magnification.

There is one reservation to the above, however. Freedom from optical aberrations increases depth of field quite markedly, and for any scope make or model a specimen with less overall aberrations will show a better depth of field.

Kimmo

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Yes I used the standard Nikon adapter rings to attach the camera to the scope. I can pretty much fit the scope and shoulder pod into my coat pocket if needs be, so it's definitely very easy to carry around.

Hi Andrew,
I have a question about the quality of your digiscoping shots. I checked out your Gallery photos, which were mostly taken with the Nikon 82mm scope - there are some fantastic photo's there! Compared to those, the ones taken with the little scope definitely seem not as clear to me.

My question: is this difference, in your opinion, down to the scope, or to the lighting conditions/specific shots chosen/processing/something else? If the former, I think that this makes a good illustration of the value of getting a larger scope for digiscoping, and gives me an even greater headache in choosing my scope!

Cheers,
ROb

lachlustre said:
Hi Andrew,
I have a question about the quality of your digiscoping shots. I checked out your Gallery photos, which were mostly taken with the Nikon 82mm scope - there are some fantastic photo's there! Compared to those, the ones taken with the little scope definitely seem not as clear to me.

My question: is this difference, in your opinion, down to the scope, or to the lighting conditions/specific shots chosen/processing/something else? If the former, I think that this makes a good illustration of the value of getting a larger scope for digiscoping, and gives me an even greater headache in choosing my scope!

Cheers,
ROb

Hi Rob,

I've still only used the ED50 once for digiscoping (see pictures above) so I can't really comment fully on it's capabilities for this. What I would say is that the pictures I've taken were in less than perfect conditions so this explains some of the differences. I'm quite sure that it's possible to take better pictures with the ED82 and if I was really intent on taking good photos then that's the scope I would take with me. But I reckon the ED50 is still capable of some nice record shots under reasonable light conditions. The one advantage that the ED50 has for digiscoping over the ED82 is that the 30x lens becomes a 16x, which I think is a better magnification.

I'll try to take a few more pictures with the ED50 over the coming months and will post a few samples on here.

I thought people might be interested to see some more pictures I've taken (this morning in fact) with the ED50 (with 16x MC lens). The light was pretty good today, at least when it wasn't snowing.

Attachments

• BHGullED50050306b.jpg
    BHGullED50050306b.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 198
  • MallardED50050306a.jpg
    MallardED50050306a.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 206
  • BHGullED50050306a.jpg
    BHGullED50050306a.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 270
  • GoldeneyeED50050306b.jpg
    GoldeneyeED50050306b.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 197
  • MuteSwanED50050306a.jpg
    MuteSwanED50050306a.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 205
And some more. Not perfect by any means but reasonably good.

Attachments

• GoosanderED50050306a.jpg
    GoosanderED50050306a.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 184
  • GoosanderED50050306c.jpg
    GoosanderED50050306c.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 132
  • GoosanderED50050306b.jpg
    GoosanderED50050306b.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 123
Johnny1 said:
Are there any spectacle wearers out there who have tried this scope?

There's me. The lenses are the same as for the other Nikon fieldscopes so any problems with eye relief will be the same. I don't have any difficulties at all with the 16x/30x lens. I've never tried the zoom, which I understand has less eye relief so might be more problematic with specs.

Johnny1 said:
Are there any spectacle wearers out there who have tried this scope?
Hi
I've got the scope and chose the 30XWW (20x on ED50) and it works fine with my varifocals. I got it to enable me to be highly mobile and use a lighter tripod as I spend a lot of time in the field drawing birds. I am soooooo impressed. After having a Leica Apo77 for ten years I wondered if I would be able to use it to draw through for long periods. The zoom has poor eye relief and the 24x only gives 16X on the ED50.

ED 50 available from Bristol Cameras(.co.uk) for £250 inc. postage-body only.
Mine arrived today, well packaged.
Only downside is they don't seem to have the pink version ;)

Ray

Andrew Whitehouse said:
I acquired a Nikon ED50 this week and got a chance to test it out properly today on a visit to Girdle Ness. <snip>

Optically it's quite excellent and up to the standard of other Nikon ED scopes - very sharp across the field, remarkably bright and contrasting and with good natural looking colours. I didn't perhaps get quite the 'walk in' impression I get with the same lens on the ED82 but otherwise the image is just as good.

That's interesting. This little scope may be the travel scope everyone has been waiting for ... the first *really* small scope with good optical quality.

Has someone already tried using it at higher magnifications, perhaps in direct comparison to a ED III set at the same magnification using the same type of zoom eyepiece? After all, even in a tiny travel scope it would be nice to get to over 30x, and if the scope is well made it should be able to handle at least 40x with no problems.

Also, what's the mechanical quality like? The ED III and the other Nikon fieldscopes are very well made pieces of equipment, it would be nice to know whether the ED50 is up to the same high standard.

Another point - has someone already found a drawing showing the type of prism the straight and the angled versions use?

Hermann

Hermann said:
That's interesting. This little scope may be the travel scope everyone has been waiting for ... the first *really* small scope with good optical quality.

Has someone already tried using it at higher magnifications, perhaps in direct comparison to a ED III set at the same magnification using the same type of zoom eyepiece? After all, even in a tiny travel scope it would be nice to get to over 30x, and if the scope is well made it should be able to handle at least 40x with no problems.

Also, what's the mechanical quality like? The ED III and the other Nikon fieldscopes are very well made pieces of equipment, it would be nice to know whether the ED50 is up to the same high standard.

Another point - has someone already found a drawing showing the type of prism the straight and the angled versions use?

Hermann

Hi Hermann,

I've just acquired a new lens, which is the 50x MC on the ED82 but it works at 27x on the ED50. I think to get above 30x you'll either need the zoom or the 75x, which I think works at 40x.

The scope works very well indeed at 27x and the image was not far off the view through my ED82 at 30x. As you'd expect, it's not quite as bright but this is only really noticeable in dull conditions. Even then it's still very usable and the sharpness and contrast is very impressive. The scope certainly gives 'the Nikon view' that many here are keen on - natural colours, sharp across the image, very little glare etc. I can see no reason why it wouldn't work well above 30x. It can still be used effectively with a shoulder pod at 27x as well, which is handy.

The scope seems well made to me. It feels a bit plastic but 'good quality' plastic, if that makes sense. The whole feel is sturdy but very lightweight. All in all this is a brilliant scope and anyone considering buying a small scope (including 60-65mm) should give it a look. You lose a lot in weight and size but very little in quality.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
It can still be used effectively with a shoulder pod at 27x as well, which is handy.

Andrew, not sure any more whether you mentioned in another thread the type of shoulder pod you are using. I am still evaluating which one to get. Do you use the Cullmann? And how long have you been using it? Please excuse any possible duplication with that other thread. It's been a while. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back