• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Old Trinovids (1 Viewer)

To be honest, I am very glad to see a new 7x35 on the market whatever prisms it has but it’s a shame that I won’t be able to try it locally.

I love 7x42 as a format, it’s my favourite by far but I would love to have a high end 7x35 to lighten the load on the neck and shoulders.

I know it’s highly unlikely but I’m hoping for an outpouring of top flight 7x35/6s from all the alpha makers.
7x35 ELs, EDGs, Noctavids and SFs........Come on Santa tell your elves to make them. I’m not on the naughty list.

Seasons best wishes to all here and I hope your desired optics are under your trees

����

To be honest, I am very glad to see a new 7x35 on the market whatever prisms it has but it’s a shame that I won’t be able to try it locally.

I love 7x42 as a format, it’s my favourite by far but I would love to have a high end 7x35 to lighten the load on the neck and shoulders.

I know it’s highly unlikely but I’m hoping for an outpouring of top flight 7x35/6s from all the alpha makers.
7x35 ELs, EDGs, Noctavids and SFs........Come on Santa tell your elves to make them. I’m not on the naughty list.

Seasons best wishes to all here and I hope your desired optics are under your trees

����

HEAR, HEAR!
That's kind of the bottom line isn't it?
Bring on the 7x35s

I got the Retrovid 7x35 today and it is VERY nice. It is really high quality and the view looks about like my 7x42 HD Ultravid with a lot less weight and bulk. It is smaller than you would think but solid at 21 oz. The big advantage of the Retrovid's just like the original model is how slim they are. The FOV seems big and the edges are pretty sharp although not Swarovision sharp. Really, I think a7x35 makes more sense for all around use than a 7x42 at least in the daytime. The Retrovid is a great all purpose, travel and birding binocular. In low light it is brighter than an 8x32. They should bring back 7x35's. It really is a dynamite format being easy to hold steady and having great DOF. You really can ID birds as well with a 7x as you can with an 8x or even 10x. Here are some pictures of the Retrovid and next to a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 for size comparison.

Attachments

• PC230001.jpg
    PC230001.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 114
  • PC230002.jpg
    PC230002.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 81
  • PC230003.jpg
    PC230003.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 83
  • PC230004.jpg
    PC230004.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:
Retrovids

I got the Retrovid 7x35 today and it is VERY nice. It is really high quality and the view looks about like my 7x42 HD Ultravid with a lot less weight and bulk. It is smaller than you would think but solid at 21 oz. The FOV seems big and the edges are pretty sharp although not Swarovision sharp. Really, I think a7x35 makes more sense for all around use than a 7x42 at least in the daytime. The Trinovid is a great all purpose, travel and birding binocular. In low light it is brighter than an 8x32. They should bring back 7x35's. It really is a dynamite format being easy to hold steady and having great DOF. You really can ID birds as well with a 7x as you can with an 8x or even 10x.

This post is limited without some pics Dennis.

Andy W.

I got the Retrovid 7x35 today ... In low light it is brighter than an 8x32. They should bring back 7x35's. It really is a dynamite format being easy to hold steady and having great DOF.
I agree! They should come back.

Do you have any ideas on transmittance and contrast?
Can it be similar to modern Ultravid or old Trinovid?

I agree! They should come back.

Do you have any ideas on transmittance and contrast?
Can it be similar to modern Ultravid or old Trinovid?
I compared the Retrovid to my Leica Ultravid HD 7x42 and I didn't see a lot of difference. IMO the light transmission and contrast are very close to the Ultravid HD.

Leica is not going to use old technology with Uppendahl prisms to make an updated Retrovid. Why? It would just make the binoculars more expensive and the new binocular with SP prisms and updated coatings and glass will kill the old Trinovid's and they will sell just as well. Most people could care less what kind of prism's the binoculars have as long as they perform well. The main thing is they LOOK like the old Trinovid. That is what will sell them. When a car builder builds a retro Pontiac GTO they don't use the original engine they use a modern crate motor. The main thing is thing is it looks like the old GTO.

Hello Denco,

You are fully entitled to think like this and I have absolutely no problem with this.

I think differently , and I am almost sure that I am not alone.

Just call me "Maverick"

o:D o:D o:D

Have a pleasant time over the holliday season.

Cheers.

Hello Denco,

You are fully entitled to think like this and I have absolutely no problem with this.

I think differently , and I am almost sure that I am not alone.

Just call me "Maverick"

o:D o:D o:D

Have a pleasant time over the holliday season.

Cheers.

I had an old pair of the original Trinovids (10x40), and whilst they were beautifully made binoculars, the view through them was, unfortunately lackluster; not hugely sharp and rather mediocre contrast. At the time I bought them, I was seduced by Leitz's glossy brochures and parted with a good wad of cash (and my trusty porro-prism bins in part-exchange). The "red dot" was all...

A couple of years ago I sold my old Trinovids and used the money towards the purchase of a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42s. Certainly "sub-alpha" in the binocular pecking order, and without the "exclusive" cachet of the little red dot, but as an observing tool for actually watching and identifying birds, they are streets ahead of the old Trinovids. I loved the design and engineering in the old Trinovids, but for me, the view never lived up to the promise.

I can see the appeal of the Retrovids (particularly to a certain "luxury" market), and I can also understand the appeal of the authenticity of using Uppendahl prisms, but in practical use terms, I don't think there would be any discernible advantage in using them - particularly when modern manufacturing has optimized Schmidt-Pechan production to its present level of quality and light transmission.

Last edited:
I believe Dennis had posted in another thread that the Conquest is an 8X56.

MandoBear, I am with you on the Leitz roofs, I have a 7X42, and they are nice to hold and look at with an OK view. However regarding the glass from that era, I just procured a 8X30 Zeiss porro from the 70s, and on a sunny day, the on-axis view rivals anything modern I have in 8X30.

Andy W.

PYRTLE, that IS a 8x56 Conquest in the photo.

Dennis, since you're the first to have a Retrovid perhaps you can tell us what you see when you look through the front of the binocular. Is there a focusing lens between the objective and the prism moving back and forth when you rotate the focusing knob? How many reflections return from the objective lenses? Could be as few as three if it's a cemented doublet or many more if it's a triplet with a focusing lens. Photos of the view through the front taken at close focus and at infinity focus would be helpful.

Henry

leicacamerausa.com shows all models in stock

https://leicacamerausa.com/sport-optics/compact/trinovid/

The Leica Trinovid binocular is available in three different magnifications.

The compact Leica Trinovid 7 × 35 offers an amazing field of vision ensuring maximum visual control. The 7-fold magnification allows you to observe the scene in total relaxation and without parasitic movements. Thanks to its compact dimensions, it fits in any pocket, making it an ideal companion when traveling, during events or on vacation.

The Leica Trinovid 8 × 40 impresses with its clear and bright images, as well as with its visual control and image definition at the best levels. With its 8 times magnification, this model is ideal for hiking, as well as for users who regularly roam nature.

For its part, the Leica Trinovid 10 × 40 with its 10x magnification ensures a dive into the heart of the smallest details and closest to the subject of observation. All this while maintaining a very reasonable weight, thanks to its slim and elegant design. Whether it is the detail of a religious fresco or the observation of wildlife during a safari - users of the Leica Trinovid 10 × 40 will always see more.

I got the Retrovid 7x35 today and it is VERY nice. It is really high quality and the view looks about like my 7x42 HD Ultravid with a lot less weight and bulk. It is smaller than you would think but solid at 21 oz. The big advantage of the Retrovid's just like the original model is how slim they are. The FOV seems big and the edges are pretty sharp although not Swarovision sharp. Really, I think a7x35 makes more sense for all around use than a 7x42 at least in the daytime. The Retrovid is a great all purpose, travel and birding binocular. In low light it is brighter than an 8x32. They should bring back 7x35's. It really is a dynamite format being easy to hold steady and having great DOF. You really can ID birds as well with a 7x as you can with an 8x or even 10x. Here are some pictures of the Retrovid and next to a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 for size comparison.

Last edited:
PYRTLE, that IS a 8x56 Conquest in the photo.

Dennis, since you're the first to have a Retrovid perhaps you can tell us what you see when you look through the front of the binocular. Is there a focusing lens between the objective and the prism moving back and forth when you rotate the focusing knob? How many reflections return from the objective lenses? Could be as few as three if it's a cemented doublet or many more if it's a triplet with a focusing lens. Photos of the view through the front taken at close focus and at infinity focus would be helpful.

Henry
Henry. When I look through the front of the binocular I see no focusing lens moving nor do I see any reflections returning from the objective lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back