• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (2 Viewers)

Very impressive!
Especially as all these people had to take a boat or a plane to get there. Helps explain why the UK is still the world's leading birding community.

Just for the laugh:

I'm sorry, but even Swarovski is saying that it's France! :-O
https://m.facebook.com/swarovskioptik.birding/photos/pcb.3177375448953238/3177367395620710/?type=3&source=49

I don't believe any of it though (but I can't recognize the vast superiority of UK Birders publicly, without getting my French Citizenship revoked :'D

Just for the laugh:

I'm sorry, but even Swarovski is saying that it's France! :-O
https://m.facebook.com/swarovskioptik.birding/photos/pcb.3177375448953238/3177367395620710/?type=3&source=49

I don't believe any of it though (but I can't recognize the vast superiority of UK Birders publicly, without getting my French Citizenship revoked :'D

Well, zat it explains why ze french zey 'ave all zese binocular shops in Paris.
(I was a Bob Morane fan in my childhood).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Morane

Edmund

Well, zat it explains why ze french zey 'ave all zese binocular shops in Paris.
(I was a Bob Morane fan in my childhood).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Morane

Edmund

Well spotted Edmund:t:
I'm officially made :-O
Indochine (French band) introduced me to it
("Et soudain surgit face au vent
Le vrai héros de tous les temps
Bob Morane contre tout chacal
L'aventurier contre tout guerrier")

Agreed on the Binoculars shops in Paris.
The Vieux Campeur have a great choice nowadays.

Well spotted Edmund:t:
I'm officially made :-O
Indochine (French band) introduced me to it
("Et soudain surgit face au vent
Le vrai héros de tous les temps
Bob Morane contre tout chacal
L'aventurier contre tout guerrier")

I remember those books have good pacing. It's a great choice of a name, and a sad sign of the times that no one noticed before :)

Agreed on the Binoculars shops in Paris.
The Vieux Campeur have a great choice nowadays.

Yup, Vieux Campeur and Monde de l'Observation are the ones I know. The Vieux Campeur guys are totally cool and let you test anything outside their shop door, and there are usually some crows perched down the road at the Jussieu entrance :)

Edmund

Chosun:

You seem to have a wrinkled sense of humor or wit. Are you dealing with aging and those issues, or tell us more
about your maladies?

Jerry

A friendly call for restraint--the incorrect apostrophe s usage is getting out of control.

--AP

Rather see it as a grounds for rejoicing that the English language is alive and continues to evolve.
Nobody today knows what the rules for the apostrophe are, so they are becoming ubiquitous, on the 'better safe than sorry' principle.
Expect apostrophes to proliferate, it is the way forward, as with any software.

Try the hyphen, en dash, and em dash.

Oh, and Alexis you might want to work on the parenthesis/bracket dilemma.

Totally kidding.

B :)

Last edited:
No, Bill Gates wears a Casio Marlin wristwatch. The BulbMogul doesn't strike me as the sort to do that.

--AP

Alexis:
There is nothing wrong with Casio, they are a very accurate watch.
My Casio calculator watch is my most often used watch, but I also like Seiko and Rolex.

My Casio helped me purchase a Rolex. :smoke:

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Jerry

Alexis:
There is nothing wrong with Casio, they are a very accurate watch.
My Casio calculator watch is my most often used watch, but I also like Seiko and Rolex.

My Casio helped me purchase a Rolex. :smoke:

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Jerry

I've nothing against Casio watches. My comment was based on knowledge of The BulbMogul's interest in expensive products that impress or that invite envy, including expensive watches. Bill Gates is famous for wearing a Casio "Marlin" MDV106-1A, which doesn't fit that profile.

--AP

...According to the NL introduction on Tuesday, it has a fast focus...

Any chance that the focus is variable-ratio? I had really hoped to see variable-ratio implemented in an EL update [Instead, we will lose close focus capability entirely in future production of the EL].

I am extremely excited by the prospect of a wide-field flat-field aberration-free view in the NL. It would be a perfect match to my preferred viewing style of rapidly looking around the FOV rather than keeping my eyes trained straight ahead. I'm also excited by the slim oval barrels for better handling. Further, I like the focus set far from the face, which makes it better for use with a hat and for good air circulation to avoid fogging glasses in the cold or on hot humid days.

On the other hand, I am very concerned about the diopter control, which is next to the focus and doesn't lock. It reminds me of the control on the B&L Discoverer roof (and some other budget roofs), which had a tendency to get bumped out of place or to get very loose and not hold its setting. The FP strap lugs are also unappealing to me. Any chance they've been redesigned to prevent 180 degree rotation (and consequent twisted neck strap)? As for the forehead brace, I don't think it will work for those of us who wear a hat low on the forehead, which I always do while birding to block much lateral light given that I wear glasses and so have the eyecups twisted down.

--AP

Last edited:
Nothing says cool like a block of wood on your forehead!

I tried something similar, on a Russian 12x40, some 20 years ago, inspired by some pictures of old binoculars I had seen. I've still got the binoculars, couldn't find the contraption I made though. I also used wood, even covered it in rubber. The plan was to make a headrest in aluminium if it worked. It did to some extent, but the effect was too small to be of any real significance. So the idea (and presumably the contraption I'd made) ended up in the bin.

I'm sure the Swarovski headrest will be a better, but I doubt it's worth the effort. That remains to be seen though.

I think a headrest may well work on a scope or a binocular on a stable tripod. In that case you may be able to stabilise the head against the scope/binocular rather than the other way round. Such headrests were used in some (large) military binoculars, e.g. the 25x100 used in WW II.

Hermann

Any chance that the focus is variable-ratio? I had really hoped to see variable-ratio implemented in an EL update [Instead, we may even lose close focus capability in future production of the EL].

I am extremely excited by the prospect of a wide-field flat-field aberration-free view in the NL. It would be a perfect match to my preferred viewing style of rapidly looking around the FOV rather than keeping my eyes trained straight ahead. I'm also excited by the slim oval barrels for better handling. Further, I like the focus set far from the face, which makes it better for use with a hat and for good air circulation to avoid fogging glasses in the cold or on hot humid days.

On the other hand, I am very concerned about the diopter control, which is next to the focus and doesn't lock. It reminds me of the control on the B&L Discoverer roof, which had a tendency to get bumped out of place or to get very loose and not hold its setting. The FP strap lugs are also unappealing to me. Any chance they've been redesigned to prevent 180 degree rotation (and consequent twisted neck strap)? As for the forehead brace, I don't think it will work for those of us who wear a hat low on the forehead, which I always do while birding to block much lateral light given that I wear glasses and so have the eyecups twisted down.

--AP
Alexis. You forgot your hyphen on 180-degree rotation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back