• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (2 Viewers)

Be interesting to see if the NL defies the laws of physics and eliminates the Absam ring..

Is it actually possible to have a huge fov without one.?

Cheers Tim

As far as I know he works for the amsterdam police and is good at martial arts! o:D

But yes, he runs the House of Outdoor in Maarssen nowadays, a very pleasant shop with a knowledgeable owner...:t:

:t: I am considering an ATX 85 or 95 with Gitzo tripod so maybe we can make a deal.

I think JG means that it's pure speculation whether they have just changed the description or actually changed the binocular. It seems an absurd step to increase your production cost by introducing a physical change to an existing product, while simultaneously dropping the price. If they have calculated the increase in NL sales would outweigh that . . . then I suppose, but for how many people will the close focus be the thing that makes them buy an NL as opposed to, say, a used EL?

However, as you mention, it may be a simple (low cost) manufacturing change by installing some sort of "stop" on the focus travel . . . which would be really infuriating. A binocular that is otherwise fully capable of focusing down to 2m but having a "limiter" on it to prevent it from doing so???

Pure speculation :-O

OK gotcha, but I still don't think 'speculation' is exactly the right word when it is based on data very recently published by the manufacturer.

Anyway, Swaro did the same thing with SLC a couple of years ago and claimed to have fitted a revised focus mechanism. At the time it seemed like a step to ensure anyone who wanted a decent close focus had to buy an EL and it appears to be a similar ploy now to encourage sales of NL.

Its a shame they are messing with an icon like EL when NL is sure to sell well anyway.

Lee

Did I see an ad for a 1.5m close focus upgrade kit fitted for $500 ..... ? ;) |:p|

Chosun :gh:

;) I meant a $500 price drop. But there's really no way increasing the close focus would have much to do with that. If it's true I'm pretty disappointed that Swaro went that route. Seems an unecessary compromise.

I'm guessing current stocks are close focusing so if you want to save over one grand compered to the NL . . .

I like Swarovski a lot and have an SLC, but the more I think about it the more it seems disappointing and petty to reduce close focus of the EL (if it really is), to force people up to the NL

I like Swarovski a lot and have an SLC, but the more I think about it the more it seems disappointing and petty to reduce close focus of the EL (if it really is), to force people up to the NL

Why don't you run out right now while stocks of the old "CLOSE FOCUSING" is still in stock and buy a pair..? B&H has over 50 pairs in stock..! All of a sudden everyone is whining about something "JUST BECAUSE"..!

Why don't you run out right now while stocks of the old "CLOSE FOCUSING" is still in stock and buy a pair..? B&H has over 50 pairs in stock..! All of a sudden everyone is whining about something "JUST BECAUSE"..!

It's not about wanting a close focus EL, it's an observation about downgrading " limitless perfection".

Kind of funny that technically, even if not noticeable, the SLC will now have a slightly wider FOV and close focus than "the legend" EL.

Just looked again at the EL pages and Swarovski claim Unique close-up setting of 3.3 m like its a great selling point.

To be fair though it is "unique" at the price point.

I can see selling a couple of my other bins for an 8x42 NL. If the handling and focus speed / smoothness are as good or better than the Victory HT, and it has the trademark crystalline sharp definition of an SLC / EL, I'm all in to get one.

No preorder though, definitely need to see it in person. Even if it does check my personal boxes I may wait awhile to see if any design bugs need to shake out.

Call me a fanboy, but the more I look at NL pictures the more my other bins look like dinosaurs. I was excited to see the 8x32 SF... Now this gets added to the mix.

So far, nothing has come along in the last 7 years to make me want to replace my somewhat old 10x42 Zeiss HT.
But I really like the new Swarovski 12x42 NL Pure.
I don't think their hourglass figure is as handsome as my HT but they look good enough and love the field of view.
Like the new forehead stabilizer too. (can I call it that ? |=)|)

Heck, if I got a pair, I could still consider them 1/2 Zeiss as they have my favorite Zeiss like focus wheel and Schott glass. :t:
Of course, some people thought the SF was 1/2 Swarovski. |;|
I wonder how long it will take Zeiss to respond to Swarovski's new NL Pure line.
How long do you think it will take, Lee ?

Send Jan a PM, I'm sure he would be great to deal with. I would love
to go to his shop someday, if I ever go to Europe.

Jerry
It's part bins museum, it's great! Sorry for the off topic.

Ontopic? I like the silhouette of the NL as well, it's weird other manufacturers never took the effort to slim the exterior to the interior to save weight. Taking the the length of the NL into consideration that might be a useful thing as well... Did achieving the optical performance take so much inner elements so weight management was needed or was it pure a cosmetical and ergonomical idea? We can only guess until a designer would speak up but they won't let info like this go on a market like this, I guess ;)

Call me a fanboy, but the more I look at NL pictures the more my other bins look like dinosaurs.

One of the reasons I enjoy these pages is how differently we all feel, the more I look at the pictures the uglier it gets.

But there`s no substitute for having it in the hand, whenever that may be, the whole Covid 19 crisis means for me that`ll probably be next year !

I am not sure I would call NL ugly but in some photos the image is like one you see of yourself walking past those strange mirrors at fairs that make you look super-fat or pinched in the middle.

It will probably look different in real life.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back