• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Isotestardo

Italy
Hello everyone, I want to take a binoculars for my wife, she's totally new at birdwatching, and I'm not really sure she's going to like the idea.
Still, I have about 250 € budget , I saw the Eden 8x42 XP and the Eden 10x42 Xp , which one do you suggest me?
Is there any other better alternative?

Thank you all!

Hi Isotestardo, has your wife tried using your binoculars? Is she happy with the size and weight of the 42 objective lenses? Or she might prefer something smaller for casual viewing such as 8X25? Or something inbetween 8X32?

Last edited:
I would suggest a Vortex Diamondback 8x42 or a Nikon Monarch M5 8x42 at your price point.

Last edited:
I would suggest a Vortex Diamondback 8x42 at your price point.

I agree! I have been using a pair of them daily for a year now. They've been dropped in the mud and the water and the parking lot and have never let me down. They also come with a chest pack, which I really like because I'm usually carrying a camera with a long lens and the chest pack does a good job of keeping your binos protected and out of the way until I need them.

Nikon also has their Prostaff P3 on sale right now for $99 if you're looking for a bargain.

You might want to suggest an 8x30 size.
This will be much more appreciated if she intends to use it for any length of time.
A lot lighter than a 42mm glass.
Nikon do a nice reasonably cheap 8x30
Nikon Prostaff P7.

Hi @Isotestardo welcome to the forum :)

Another vote for the 8x32 size. For someone completely new to birdwatching I think comfort and ease of use are paramount, so I think a 8x42 might be too bulky and heavy... and she probably won't be using the full potential of the 8x42 brightness anyway. Yes, 8x42 has a bigger exit pupil and this could help ease of use, but an 8x32 in broad daylight should also be easy to use and the 8x32 format can give you great advantages when it comes not only to size/weight, but also field of view. I've given some nice 8x32 binoculars at around 500 g to newbies and some of them even found those models heavy and bulky... So I'd say 8x32 is a safe bet. In fact, I can speak of my own experience: I have always given my partner the "old" binoculars I was no longer using, so she had to make do with a Minox 8x25... until I gave her a nice Kowa BD XD 8x32 and I could see a huge difference in the way she enjoyed her birding, that really got her hooked. So I'd say 8x32 is the sweet spot. In my experience 8x25 binoculars are lighter and smaller, but tend to be more demanding when it comes to usability, with their finicky eye position. If you finally decide to choose an 8x25 due to size and weight, I'd advise you to stay away from double hinge design, and stick to the traditional single hinge design.

And another vote for the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 as a good offer, with very reasonable quality and covered by a fantastic warranty, although it could also be worth checking other brands such as Hawke, Opticron or Celestron for products in the same price bracket. As a wild card, you could try the Svbony 8x32 ED Sv202, which offers basically a similar level of performance (better in some cases) for half the price (or even less).

What can I say, thank you all ! Really ! I read and dig in every of your suggestions. I will go for a 8x32 . I've found a Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 at 167 € and a Svbony 8x32 ED Sv202 at 119 € , both of them in my budget. Is there really any significance difference between them?

Last edited:
What can I say, thank you all ! Really ! I read and dig in every of your suggestions. I will go for a 8x32 . I've found a Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 at 167 € and a Svbony 8x32 ED Sv202 at 119 € , both of them in my budget. Is there really any significance difference between them?
If you can get your wife to try them BEFORE buying them, to see what binocular works best for her in terms of comfortable eye placement and ergonomics { the feel of the binocular }.
Will she be observing wearing spectacles?
If so, make sure the binocular has plenty of eye relief.

I will go for a 8x32 . I've found a Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 at 167 € and a Svbony 8x32 ED Sv202 at 119 € , both of them in my budget.
My first three pairs of binoculars were 8x32 and it’s arguably the single best one-size-fits-all format available.
I’m a big fan of Vortex Viper lineup and have two, and would suggest that rather than getting the best new binoculars you can afford, looking about for the best used model you can find in the same price range.
Two very excellent options would be an older Leica 8x32 or the aforementioned Vortex Viper. Many other great options too and buying used, but higher quality is always a better use of money, especially for anyone on a budget.

My first three pairs of binoculars were 8x32 and it’s arguably the single best one-size-fits-all format available.
I’m a big fan of Vortex Viper lineup and have two, and would suggest that rather than getting the best new binoculars you can afford, looking about for the best used model you can find in the same price range.
Two very excellent options would be an older Leica 8x32 or the aforementioned Vortex Viper. Many other great options too and buying used, but higher quality is always a better use of money, especially for anyone on a budget.

I have Viper HD 6x32. It has only 48deg AFOV but ER is long and it works completely satisfying with eyeglasses for me. Even 8x42 and 10x50 of the predecessor line of Viper HD have about the same AFOV(50deg) and ER.
But I was dissapointed when I tried the new Viper HD in 8x42(6x32 is not included anymore). While AFOV is bigger ER is shorter. And the lens is more recessed from the eyecup edge wasting a bit of ER.
So the new version did not work well with eyeglasses. The new version is surely great if you don't use eyeglasses. But high quality 8x42 today use to have more eye relief.

Very much this.

Be sure to deal with someone reputable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back