• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Just stumbled across this forum and some very interesting threads. I have a pair of Bausch & Lamb 10x40 I purchased recently 2nd hand and loving them. Interested in a spotting scope so researching the many threads on here and hoping to road test some in the coming weeks

Live in the countryside and also a caravan next to the sea so love looking out to sea amongst the cliffs and coves for bird and sea life

Hi capernstarling and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

It sounds like you live in a wonderful area!!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Had the opportunity to check some scopes out today. First was the Swarovski CTC 30x75 fixed scope. This was initially my choice of thinking but after a few minutes realised that this scope was not for me, ergonomics, handling (felt awkward and uncomfortable)
Next was a Swarovski ATS with the 20-60, was using hand held and felt very strange to handle and operate. He then attached it to a tripod which totally transformed the experience, tried a 25-50. To be honest they both seemed similar, the shop assistant commented that it was a very bright day but if I was viewing dawn/dusk then the difference would be more apparent. He didn’t have a straight scope to try

Next was the Swarovski ATX with the 85 eyepiece, also very nice. All scopes showed great detail, clarity and ease of focusing. I’m guess when handling manually a straight scope would be easier to use especially when trying to focus onto something moving in the distance

I also had a detailed look at the Swarovski NL Pure 10x42 and 12x42 and was blown away buy the lightness and handling, clarity and lots of light (for my ailing eyes 😆) He introduced a forehead rest and what a brilliant addition. Once adjusted and lifting, positioning the glasses to your eyes was an effortless focus and view your subject, none of the bumping into my eye sockets before finally getting into focus

Left the shop wanting both, some better binos and a scope. Thing that worries me is I want a scope for viewing out to sea from caravan (wildlife and boats) but would also like to utilise when out for walks, maybe something like a single mono tripod could work for outside use? Those NL binos 😍

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back