• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar ID, Port Aransas, Texas (1 Viewer)

rubonix

Was walking around the Willows yesterday, a small green area surrounding a bit of water, when I saw a large bird flush. It flew to a nearby branch. Got a quick look thru my binocs and then I tried to get a pic, but only captured these 2 poor quality frames.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0YGFPgBPGKXXEh

My first look was a darkish brown nightjar with a a few golden buffy marks. After the 2 photos, it flew. Definitely not of the Nighthawk wing and tail shape. There were no distinguishable white markings on the tail. Was surprised at its size when it flew, as it was medium to large bird. As it flew I only got a view of its back and tail, which showed as only dark brown. Tail was spread. In looking at my sibley, I wonder if it was a Chuck-will's-widow.

First pic was right before it flew and second pic captures a bit of its tail.

Are there enough details in these 2 bad pics to confirm its ID?

Thx for your feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back