• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon E2 8x30 and Nikon E 7x35 (1 Viewer)

Whoa.. 9.2mm that is approaching my 1968 Zeiss 8X30B, thanks for the tip, ER on the Action models is difficult to source.

The first set of specs on the left in post # 22 of this link is for the Action I models. For some reason the 7x35 was not included, but it used the same eyepiece as the 10x50 so it should have the same eye relief of 10.7mm.

I know about the E series, I have mint samples in 8X30 and 10X35, as well as the later E II series, and all SE model formats. These Action models were a lower budget glass, and they offered wide fields of view. I am not comparing, just making an observation on how I was impressed with the views.
I knew you were familiar with the "E" series, I just admire the workmanship and ease of view through the 7X35 "E". I don't care for all the plastic in the Action bins but they do serve a purpose!$$

I accidentally posted here in general thread, but I wanted to post in "Nikon" thread
Your photos above are beautiful! I just bought a new Canon G7X Mark II as I miss my digital SLR. (The peregrine falcon in my signature was taken with my older canon EOS and a canon 400mm f/4 lens) The G7X is all metal and the zoom is f/1.8-f/2.8 (8.8-36.8mm). I can't wait for warm weather!!

To complement Henry’s link in post #23, which includes the specifications for various ‘lesser’ Nikon Porro prism lines . . .

A) Nikon’s premier hand held Porro prism lines, following WWII were as follows:
1948 - Mikron (the Mikron designation was once used on most of the binocular lines)
- - - -

1959 - A model (A = aluminium?, not marked on unit; new eyepiece)
1969 - A model continues (only a change to markings, from Nikon Kogaku to Nikon; and from now on, no markings on RH prism plate)
- - - -

1978 - E model (E = Execulite, not marked on unit; new eyepiece with longer eye relief, and folding rubber eyecup)
1988 - E model updated (C = Criterion, marked on LH prism plate; same design now multicoated)
- - - -

1999 - EII model (EII not marked on unit; all new body with sloped prism plates, along with new prisms and eyepiece; longer eye relief and widest FOV;
and still in production)
- - - -
And
1998 - SE model (SE = Superior E; rubber coated; new design with field flattener lenses and longest eye relief; discontinued in 2008)
- - - -

From 1948 the binoculars had single coated lenses, and from 1988 with the update to the E version they've been multicoated.
And as can be seen, during the period there was at least a cosmetic upgrading on a roughly 10 year basis.

B) And specifications for the various lines, in reverse chronological order:
Those for the SE, EII and E are all from the manuals provided with the binoculars
Those for the A series are from a 1977 flyer at the Pacific Rim Camera site: Pacific Rim Camera Reference Library
And the Mikron data is from a 1951 brochure at the Miniature Binoculars site: https://www.miniaturebinoculars.com/part2/Page21529.htm

For more links and images about older Nikon Porros also see: Resources About Discontinued Nikon Binoculars & Nikon History

John

Attachments

• SE Intro 1998.jpg
    SE Intro 1998.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 70
  • EII Intro 1999.jpg
    EII Intro 1999.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 75
  • E intro 1978  (post 12x40 disc).jpg
    E intro 1978 (post 12x40 disc).jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 74
  • E Spec's with 12x40 (jp).jpg
    E Spec's with 12x40 (jp).jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 71
  • A Intro 1959.jpg
    A Intro 1959.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Mikron intro 1948.jpg
    Mikron intro 1948.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
And some more images from the Mikron brochure that may interest some . . .

Attachments

• Mikron pages.jpg
    Mikron pages.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 38
  • Mikron construction.jpg
    Mikron construction.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 36
Thank you all for appreciation!
Thank you Mikbul, success in photography!
John, you have very useful structured information about the Nikon series. I knew and I've been using your information for a long time ... thank you John again!

My E 7x35 model presented above in first post, is in perfect condition and is manufactured according to SN between 1979 and 1981. It has a very good eyerelief for me who wears glasses (16mm from specification but I think it's even bigger). It is not multicoating but it is bright and has no traces of chromatic aberrations. The lack of chromatic aberrations in this binoculars shows that a good optical formula compensates for the lack of multicoatings and special glass ED, FL etc. The brightness surprised me too, but it is explained that my specimen has no trace of dust inside, it is perfectly clean (I saw new binoculars with more traces inside than in this 40-year-old binoculars). The light transmission is measured by our forum colleague Gijs van Ginkel (Thank you for your effort). The result is 86.9% (550nm), a very good for a single coated binoculars. The binoculars he tested are a little older than my SN 780xxx vs SN 783379 (my)

The only compromise in my old E 7x35 is the 7.3 degree field of view, but this is well balanced with:
1 clarity very close to the edges,
2 practicaly 0 chromatic aberrations
3 long eyerelief, aspects that make it very easy to use and align binos in front of the eyes.

Last edited:
Nikon E 7x35 binoculars showed me very beautiful three-dimensional images with birds in general of small size ( Parus major, Sitta europaea, Troglodytes troglodytes, Dendrocopos major, Pyrrhula pyrrhula). It is a well-known that a 7x bino has a very deep field of view so it is very easy to focus.

I put a picture in the field with Nikon E 7x35 (swirly bokeh)Nikon E 7x35.jpg

To complement Henry’s link in post #23, which includes the specifications for various ‘lesser’ Nikon Porro prism lines . . .

1948 - Mikron (the Mikron designation was once used on most of the binocular lines)
- - - -

1969 - A model continues (only a change to markings, from Nikon Kogaku to Nikon; and from now on, no markings on RH prism plate)
- - - -

1978 - E model (E = Execulite, not marked on unit; new eyepiece with longer eye relief, and folding rubber eyecup)
1988 - E model updated (C = Criterion, marked on LH prism plate; same design now multicoated)
- - - -

1999 - EII model (EII not marked on unit; all new body with sloped prism plates, along with new prisms and eyepiece; longer eye relief and widest FOV;
and still in production)
- - - -
And
1998 - SE model (SE = Superior E; rubber coated; new design with field flattener lenses and longest eye relief; discontinued in 2008)
- - - -

From 1948 the binoculars had single coated lenses, and from 1988 with the update to the E version they've been multicoated.
And as can be seen, during the period there was at least a cosmetic upgrading on a roughly 10 year basis.

Those for the SE, EII and E are all from the manuals provided with the binoculars
Those for the A series are from a 1977 flyer at the Pacific Rim Camera site: Pacific Rim Camera Reference Library
And the Mikron data is from a 1951 brochure at the Miniature Binoculars site: https://www.miniaturebinoculars.com/part2/Page21529.htm

For more links and images about older Nikon Porros also see: Resources About Discontinued Nikon Binoculars & Nikon History

John
John , that’s a great write up! Thank you.

what can you say about the qualitative differences between the 7x35E and the 7x35EC , criterion Model?
I understand one is single coded and one is multicoated, but observationally what can be observed differently? Is the say substantial difference or only noticeable on the certain circumstances?

Could anybody else with direct knowledge of the two ad some to the conversation please.
Thank you

Paul

John , that’s a great write up! Thank you.

what can you say about the qualitative differences between the 7x35E and the 7x35EC , criterion Model?
I understand one is single coded and one is multicoated, but observationally what can be observed differently? Is the say substantial difference or only noticeable on the certain circumstances?

Could anybody else with direct knowledge of the two ad some to the conversation please.
Thank you

Paul
Hi Paul,

I find the coating used on my multicoated E series models (7x35 and 8x30) bought around 1990-91 to be indistinguishable from the multicoating used on my E IIs (8x30 and 10x35) bought around 2005-6. The image is obviously brighter under all conditions compared to my earlier single coated Es (2 8x30s). Also the contrast is higher and the color bias is much more neutral than my older Es, which besides being somewhat dim also have a decidedly yellow bias like many other single coated binoculars. Compared to the most color neutral current binoculars the image in my multicoated Es and EIIs looks a little reddish.

Henry

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

I find the coating used on my multicoated E series models (7x35 and 8x30) bought around 1990-91 to be indistinguishable from the multicoating used on my E IIs (8x30 and 10x35) bought around 2005-6. The image is obviously brighter under all conditions compared to my earlier single coated Es (2 8x30s). Also the contrast is higher and the color bias is much more neutral than my older Es, which besides being somewhat dim also have a decidedly yellow bias like many other single coated binoculars. Compared to the most color neutral current binoculars the image in my multicoated Es and EIIs looks a little reddish.

Henry
I might be miss understandin,
The E’ (with rubber eyecups) single coated. I was under the impression the E series until EC were not multi coated.
Then the E criterion ( EC model) are multi coated
Then the EII are multi coated. ??

Its a little confusing because of this post, see attached.

Thank you

Attachments

• D70719FC-5A1C-471A-BE3D-C85D6CA0F7FD.png
    D70719FC-5A1C-471A-BE3D-C85D6CA0F7FD.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 20

- - - -

- - - -

- - - -

and still in production)
- - - -
And
- - - -

John
Hi John,

My old Nikon 9x35 was labelled Nippon Kogaku, did not know that there was a Nikon Kogaku interval.

Hi Paul,

Henry
Still a little confused 🤔. If you bought in the 1990’s they would be EII not E’s. Unless you bought them used. What I believe, if you have an EII they are multi coated , with the newest update of the EII coatings were started 2017. Anything before EII is the E, which started with single coatings. Then came the E criterion model marked with a C on the prism plate.

The three are Nikon A series, then E C (criterion Multi coated) then the EII (2020 from last run). Between the A and EC would be an E without multi-coatings.

Attachments

• 5ED1664A-6320-4F4C-8F34-7D5B3B9C5B4C.jpeg
    5ED1664A-6320-4F4C-8F34-7D5B3B9C5B4C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • 1D0A9B68-DF35-4E32-B0EC-FA5C6835A289.jpeg
    1D0A9B68-DF35-4E32-B0EC-FA5C6835A289.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • F46899D7-2E03-4137-96AD-692D32D06FD6.jpeg
    F46899D7-2E03-4137-96AD-692D32D06FD6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
Hi Paul,

Henry
Henry would post the serial numbers of the two 8x30’s and the 7x35 you have? or private conversation me. I just bought another E for my collection from eBay. It looked good with box and all papers but it’s an E. I don’t think it’s multicoated.
Thank you

paul

Paultricounty,​

Earlier E Series': Numbering, Production and Popularity
In contrast to the EII, previous versions of the E series were far more popular, and increasingly so as one goes back in time - when they were Nikon's premium binocular line

Bear in mind that prior to the introduction of phase coating on roof prism binoculars (developed and first used by Zeiss in 1988), it was not possible for roof prisms to equal the sharpness of Porro prisms
And the availability of affordable roof prism models of good optical quality, that we now take for granted, did not commence until the first decade of the 21st century

So as context for many, and nostalgia for some . . .

A) Multi Coated E Series - from 1988 to 1998 (90k+ over 11 years)
- 8x30 from 400k: 400,174 - 448,643+ (48k+)

- 10x35 from 600k: 600,542 to 615,676+ (15k+)

- 7x35 from 200k: 200,347 to 217,591+ (17k+)

- 12x40 from 800k: 800,204 to 811,718+ (11k+)

B) Single Coated E Series - 1978 to 1987 (180k+ over 10 years)
- 8x30 from 880k: 880,276 to 936,734+ (56k+)

- 10x35 from 110k: 114,772 to 153,420+ (43k+)

- 7x35 from 770k: 770,100 to 818,427+ (48k+)

- 12x40 from 660k: 661,428 to 693,341+ (33k+)

John

p.s. again the numbering is from my observations

Hi Paul,

If you go go to the thread that's attached to the post that Dorubird has linked to, there's information about the questions that you've raised
(including transmission graphs from Gijs' tests of Nikon Porros that are consistent with Henry's observations).

John

Still a little confused 🤔. If you bought in the 1990’s they would be EII not E’s. Unless you bought them used. What I believe, if you have an EII they are multi coated , with the newest update of the EII coatings were started 2017. Anything before EII is the E, which started with single coatings. Then came the E criterion model marked with a C on the prism plate.

The three are Nikon A series, then E C (criterion Multi coated) then the EII (2020 from last run). Between the A and EC would be an E without multi-coatings.
Henry would post the serial numbers of the two 8x30’s and the 7x35 you have? or private conversation me. I just bought another E for my collection from eBay. It looked good with box and all papers but it’s an E. I don’t think it’s multicoated.
Thank you

paul

Paul,

Sorry for the confusion. I don't call the multi-coated Es "Criterions" because AFAIK they were never called that back when they were available in the US from about 1990 to about 1998 and back then I never saw the E series multicoatings referred to as Criterion coatings. Nikon used the word Criterion very inconsistently then as an umbrella term for whatever binoculars they wanted to represent as their best in a particular brochure or catalogue. In three old brochures I have from the early 90s it applies to 9-10 different models, only 3 of which were E series, and 4 of which were not multicoated. The term is absent from the binocular bodies, boxes and printed materials of both my multicoated E series binoculars. I've never seen the "C" on the bodies of any of the other binoculars designated as Criterion models in those brochures.

My take on the history of the E Series is this: introduced in 1978 as single coated binoculars. Discontinued in the US about 1986 or 7 (I don't know about Japan or other countries). Re-introduced in the US about 1990 with green multi coatings and new lettering on the left prism cover including the black "C" inside a white circle. Discontinued just before or about the same time as the introduction of the 8x30 and 10x35 EIIs around 1998 or 99.

Here are the serial numbers for my E series binoculars, including exact dates of purchase in the two cases where I still have sales receipts.

7x35 multicoated - 209461, bought around 1990-91
8x30 multicoated - 425739, bought 10/10/94
8x30 single coated - 920197, bought 4/28/86
8x30 single coated - 921800, gift

If your recently acquired 8x30 is single coated it will show purple reflections coming from the lenses. Multicoated Es show green reflections.

Henry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back