• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG II users, past or present.... (3 Viewers)

Bob ...... Your story is one of the posts I had in mind when making the comment that most of the posts for Nikon USA service were favorable. My 10X32 EDG-I is still doing fine, but I have not been using it very much this last year after getting the SF. If things do go south, I hope it is before Nikon runs out of the EDG-II version! Thanks for the feedback.

A few other favorites for me are the Zeiss 8X32 and 10X42 Conquest HD (do not have), Swaro SLC HD 8X42 (do not have),...........

The status on the Swaro SLC HD may have changed. We shall see what shows up next week. Last time I tried to get an HD, it turned out the seller got it mixed up with the newer WB. That was a disappointment. This time I saw what are supposed to be photos of the actual unit so all should be good.

Last edited:
I recall Nikon giving you a brand new EDG II to replace a POS EDG I you picked up off ebay.... why don't you acknowledge this as stand up customer service? Yet, your praise goes to Swarovski??? And why do you have so many needs of customer service???

CG
I just feel that was something Nikon had to do. They had some bugs in the first EDG and they had to to try to get them off the market. Swarovski has done a lot of stuff for me that they didn't have to do. Let's just say I don't want to go there because everybody will be asking them for favors but if your in their club let's just say they take care of you like no other company. They make you feel "Special". It is kind of like a "Whale" in Las Vegas. No really it seems like they personally care about each and every customer which is the way it should be.

Last edited:
I was wondering how many times you had to return binoculars to Swarovski for service. Can you advise us?

Bob
My 10x50 SV had a little stichion in the focuser. It wasn't bad but it bothered me. I was just really impressed with the whole process of sending them in for service and how good their communication was. It was so PERSONAL. It was like I was their personal friend and they kept me advised during the whole process which took about 3 weeks. The binoculars were returned in perfect shape and the focus was buttery smooth. Funny thing is they even seemed sharper than they were so I wonder if they tested the optics and made some kind of adjustment. When dealing with Swarovski you feel like your talking with a friend with Nikon it feels like a big, cold company. I have asked Nikon questions and they have never responded so I am not to impressed with their customer service.

Dennis' primary criteria are product prestige and resale value; he is a restless and fickle creature of the market.
I would have to say product prestige and resale are interrelated. "Perceived Prestige" is what maintains resale. I don't think Nikon has the "Perceived Prestige" of the big three because it sells a LOT of binoculars in lower price tiers. People think of the $300 Monarch when they think of Nikon. Does the Corvette have as much "Prestige" as a Ferrari? NO. WHY. It is because people think of a Chevrolet as a moderately priced car. Will the Corvette run with a Ferrari? Maybe, but which one is going to get you more "Prestige" and which one will get you more "Girls"? You see what I am getting at? Why does a 50 year old Ferrari fetch 20 million dollars at auction? Prestige and exclusivity.

The SF 10x42 is my second favorite 10x. Good choice. For a smaller and lighter 10x it is the best choice. I like the 10x50 SV a little better optically but the SF wins in the size and weight department. Interesting comparison to the EDG.

Last edited:
Bob ...... Your story is one of the posts I had in mind when making the comment that most of the posts for Nikon USA service were favorable. My 10X32 EDG-I is still doing fine, but I have not been using it very much this last year after getting the SF. If things do go south, I hope it is before Nikon runs out of the EDG-II version! Thanks for the feedback.

The status on the Swaro SLC HD may have changed. We shall see what shows up next week. Last time I tried to get an HD, it turned out the seller got it mixed up with the newer WB. That was a disappointment. This time I saw what are supposed to be photos of the actual unit so all should be good.

Bruce,

The Nikon EDG I which I owned was one tough binocular! Its double hinged construction was pretty solid.

I believe I related this in some past threads, but when I got it, shortly after I removed it from the box I dropped it about 3 feet onto our wood parquet kitchen floor. It landed on the front edge of one of the objectives tubes which had thick black rubber bumpers surrounding them.

I almost had a heart attack!:eek!::eek!:

No harm resulted except for a skid mark on the rubber bumper.

About a year later, I did the same thing again! So help me, I am telling the truth! Again, no damage, external or internal resulted from it!

Those rubber bumpers on the EDG I are quite thick, much more so than on the EDG II, and I believe that they also helped contribute to protection from glare.

Bob

:Dennis,

See your thread #104.

Regarding your Corvette vs. Ferrari "Perceived Prestige" analogy with Nikon and the other Alpha binoculars: I encourage you to find or design a binocular that will help men to "get more girls" and I am sure that the world will beat a path to your door!:king:

Bob

Last edited:
Cs

Nikon is a huge company (for example compared with Swaro) and their service is slow and somewhat impersonal (probably because they're such a huge company). Eventually they get the job done, but it might take a long time: even for simple questions they might require months to answer (example: I asked them about the diopter compensation range of the M78x30; it took them more than 2 months to give me an answer). According to my experience, the CS of Swaro, Vortex, and Vanguard is much better (prompt, personal, effective etc).

I'm sure these two fellows are "doing alright". ;) :-O

:Dennis,

See your thread #104.

Regarding your Corvette vs. Ferrari "Perceived Prestige" analogy with Nikon and the other Alpha binoculars: I encourage you to find or design a binocular that will help men to "get more girls" and I am sure that the world will beat a path to your door!:king:

Bob

Attachments

• bird-watching-isnt-well-defined-thumb.jpg
    bird-watching-isnt-well-defined-thumb.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 115
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 99
Chuck ..... I think your commentary does an excellent job of summing things up. The Nikon EDG is an excellent binocular and may be the best choice for certain model segments, depending on the needs of the buyer. I am looking forward to reading you observations on the 8X42 EDG. I hope you like it!

There is not one brand that works best for me across all model segments. My current favorites for the various segments are:
- Zeiss SF: 8X42 (do not have), 10X42
- Swaro EL SV: 10X50, 12X50
- Nikon EDG: 8X32, 10X32

A few other favorites for me are the Zeiss 8X32 and 10X42 Conquest HD (do not have), Swaro SLC HD 8X42 (do not have), Canon 10X42L IS, Nikon Monarch 7 8X30 and last but not least is the Nikon 8X30 EII. Hopefully Zeiss will eventually make it possible for me to add a Zeiss 8X32 SF to the list. If I could only have one binocular, it would be the Zeiss SF 10X42

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it! I actually got it YESTERDAY. Of course I looked thru it. Excellent. It will be a few weeks before I use it enough to make any comments, as it's MOTORCYCLE season!

Everyone have a fun/safe 4th of July!

This is a good post, I think the first photo is Bob, and the second one must be Dennis.

Jerry

Jerry,

I don't wear glasses but I do have a mustache which looks like Tom Selleck's mustache so I don't need binoculars to attract girls! ;) :king:

Bob

Last edited:
I have always found an expensive pair of Swarovski's around your neck to be a "Chic Magnet" at birding events.:gh: Girls like money and they know if you got those Swarovision's around your neck your not making bird seed. Even the blondes know that Nikon's aren't as expensive as Swarovski's.:-O Honestly people treat you different when you have Swarovski's. I can't tell you how many times people see those green Swarovision's and there whole facial expression changes to an expression of respect and awe.:smoke: They take you seriously. It is kind of like having a gold Rolex. You can walk into an auto dealership in the dirtiest, crumiest clothes but if you have a Rolex on your wrist the salesmen will be trampling over each other to get to you first. The Swarovision is worth the $2K for those reason's alone.

Attachments

• e1d0cdee2bc9eaf131b0aaac596f929e.jpg
    e1d0cdee2bc9eaf131b0aaac596f929e.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I have always found an expensive pair of Swarovski's around your neck to be a "Chic Magnet" at birding events.:gh: Girls like money and they know if you got those Swarovision's around your neck your not making bird seed. Even the blondes know that Nikon's aren't as expensive as Swarovski's.:-O Honestly people treat you different when you have Swarovski's. I can't tell you how many times people see those green Swarovision's and there whole facial expression changes to an expression of respect and awe.:smoke: They take you seriously. It is kind of like having a gold Rolex. You can walk into an auto dealership in the dirtiest, crumiest clothes but if you have a Rolex on your wrist the salesmen will be trampling over each other to get to you first. The Swarovision is worth the $2K for those reason's alone.

By God, this is the first anti add for Swarovski, I've seen in years:-C

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis........

I am feeling slightly nauseous.

Swaro=Rolex=Chick Magnet?

Surely you need to wear both the Swaro and the Rolex and have a chest-wig, a Mexican Moustache and a gold medallion?

Or better still, none of the above.

Jeesh.

Lee

Surely you need to wear both the Swaro and the Rolex and have a chest-wig, a Mexican Moustache and a gold medallion?

Jeesh.

Lee

"chest-wig" :-O:-O

Jeesh.

Lee
"Chest-wig?" "Mexican Moustache?" Sounds like your style Troub.:king:

Attachments

• hairychestFM23321a.jpg
    hairychestFM23321a.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 100
  • leather-daddy-moustache.jpg
    leather-daddy-moustache.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back