• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon focusers - do they turn clockwise to infinity like the big three? (4 Viewers)

ZDHart

United States
I"ve read that Nikon focusers are quite excellent in their light resistance and excellent smoothness. (And their color quality is somewhat akin to the beautiful saturated color look of the fabulous Leica UVHD+ bins.)

As I ponder acquiring one of the just announced, re-vamped, Nikon M7 8x30, my mind drifts to whether I will have to think "opposite" from what I'm accustomed to, regarding focusing, with Nikon... vs. Zeiss, Leica, and Swaro?

(Trying to stir up SOME kind of new, ongoing discussion here! :ROFLMAO:)

Huh. Do the E II Porros also focus CCW to infinity? (Did the SEs? I tried them once and don't remember that)

My MHG focuses CW - and while there really isn’t any play or slop it isn’t as buttery smooth as an EDG. Feels slightly ”spongy“ but it is consistent throughout its range in both directions.

I would be surprised if Nikon focuser orientations are not consistent across their models.

Last edited:
I don't think they are inconsistent. I think they are all CW to infinity. I have examples from 6 different lines of nikon products (4 binoculars and 2 scopes) where this is the case.

Does anyone here have experience with a Nikon binocular that focuses CCW to infinity?
If I remember right, the original Monarch line focused counter-clockwise to inifinity. I think a few other inexpensive past models (esp. cheap roof prism pocket models) did the same, but in my experience, all of Nikon's high-end bins focus clockwise, as do most of the rest of its models.

In response to the title of this thread, I'd like to note that the "big three" have not been consistent, or at least I can remember clearly in the case of Zeiss that it has been inconsistent in fairly modern times. I think some cheapies like the Diafun, but also the original Victory, were counterclockwise.

--AP

Not that having some bins focusing opposite to others you have is a big problem (you work around it), but I certainly prefer having all of mine focus the same way - then I don't need to remind myself which ones I have in my hands - focusing can all be my instinct.

Hi,

it seems I am one of those people who focus by instinct since I don't really know the direction to infinity for my bins... so a quick test showed that my E2 and SE do indeed focus to infinity clockwise (not that it needed checking after Henry has posted it), as did my Leitz Trinovid 7x42 (no modern Leica available)... the only Zeiss at hand was my (not much loved) Conquest Pocket 10x25 and this is CCW, unlike most other modern Zeiss pairs.

Here is some more data in an older thread with a great title:

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back