• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon strap (1 Viewer)

PeterPS

Kiribati
I have received the following message from Amazon.uk:
--------------------------
Hello,

Nikon has published a safety notification about the below product that you have bought on Amazon.co.uk due to the risk of potential non-conformity with REACH regulation.

Product:
Nikon Monarch 5 12 x 42 Binoculars - Black

More details, including what you should do and where you can seek assistance, can be found in the following notification: https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000044441&configured=1&lang=en_GB.
--------------------------
A couple of years ago Zeiss had to replace the neck straps with "non-toxic ones", now the same has happened to Nikon.

I read the link, and found there should be no reason for any health concern with the use of the strap.
I would just ignore that and carry on. Some states like California, make a mfr. put a warning label on
strange things, you are not going to eat the strap, I suppose.......
Jerry

UK Gov recall notice for info:
"Risk level: Low"

you are not going to eat the strap, I suppose
There seems to be some concern around potential skin irritation with certain PAHs, but we don't know which are actually in this strap, or how much contact would be needed. I expect one encounters worse chemical exposures most days... and could wish they had received such attention.

This seems like something that was posted some years back. California was on a rampage, and Swarovski had to put
a sticker on the binocular box, that stated the product might cause cancer. A cancer warning..............I call BS, on all of it.
Jerry

I contacted Nikon Canada today after reading this thread . I just got a message from them asking me for an address that they can send the replacement strap for my MHG to .

Agreed, I had 2 x affected Nikon straps at the time of the initial recall and had them both replaced per Nikon's advice / offer. The service was quick and commendable. In fairness, I didn't perceive much risk from the originals and have kept them as spares. I would happily use them temporarily should the need arise.

I like some of the simple neoprene-style straps the company supply and indeed currently suspend my NL Pure 12x42 with one. I find it much more workmanlike and functional than Swarovski's pretty useless (for me) Heath Robinson offering.

Last edited:
There was a similar "warning" for Zeiss straps a year or two ago. Did anyone actually send theirs in for exchange, as opposed to just picking up freebies?

Interesting, he seems to have been the English equivalent of Rube Goldberg in the US.

Very much so. Heath Robinson was slightly earlier, but many of their inventions were quite similar. If you enjoy Goldberg's work I'm sure you'd enjoy Heath Robinson, collections of his work are readily available.

I'm pretty sure Swarovski took inspiration from both of the purveyors of absurdity in designing the hardware that currently accompanies the NL Pure range. All I've retained / use is the eyepiece cover; and I had to modify that to make it actually work in the field.

In fairness, I'm aware many other manufacturers also seem intent on making accessories that render binocular use tediously awkward / unnecessarily complicated.

Conversely, and with a nod to the subject of the thread, I've found Nikon M5 / 7 cases, straps and eyepiece covers to just plain function.

Attributed to Antoine de Saint-Exupery:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back