• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon WX 10x50 IF 100th Anniv. Edition (2 Viewers)

AstroMart has a binocular auction-you might try that.
BirdForum also has a sell section.

My issue with the WXs are too expensive, too heavy for practical use and there are many 10x50s almost as good that are easier to buy and use;
but they are the best binoculars available.

I agree with the above opinions that they would sell for $4000-and maybe more.

edj
Those are good recommendations for selling, I watch Astromart, but have not seen their auctions. They have a classifieds, and another
active place to sell is on Cloudy Nights classifieds which is free.

The Nikon 10x50 WX is an astro binocular, so it has a special market.

Jerry

Just looking around the internet, I am not sure any are available for sale-new or used?
We can criticize all we want, but owners seem to be keeping.

edj

Yours new, for a cool £12k

Guessing Nikon still have a few on their shelves in Japan to restock outlets. Ask Nikon USA to get them for you.

The official german Nikon webstore seems to still have them from a bit over Euro 6600.-(however not the limited run anniversary special edition but the regular version). So you could get BOTH the 7x50 and the 10x50 for the same amount of money.(y)

Last edited:
I wonder how bartd likes the views in the WX 10X50, I mean if he has not viewed through one before, he must have checked them out by now?

Andy W.

Nikon doesn't have any at all to move is what I was told, especially the Anniv issue ones. Mine is still in the box unopened. Have not looked through them but I have looked through a non-Anniv issue pair and they are amazing.

The value as Tenex stated would be to a collector; who would likely pay more for it than a typical customer, since a standard WX 10X50 they can be purchased new for, I want to say $6,500, and with a Warranty.

Andy W.
That is what I am counting on.

Well, at least they're safe and secure in their unopened box......away from any prying eyes. How much is a sticker on a box and a label worth, even to a collector? That's the only difference at the end of the day, surely.

I would guess that an avid Nikon collector with deep pockets already has one (anniversary Edition) and purchased them when they first came out, one I know is an acquaintance, and he said that he got one when first introduced - for two reasons, before they sold out, and that he would not pay any outrageous price later on. There are a few regular 10X50s floating around- not too many, and not many takers at $6,500.

Andy W.

The world of binocular collecting is a bit odd and although I hope bartd gets a good price for his, the WX being somewhat limited in application due to weight and size, and the lack of cachet of the Nikon name (despite Nikon indisputably having a great history in optics) mean that any premium paid for a 100th anniversary edition may be limited, especially in "these unprecedented times".

It seems to me that to get the collecting folk really excited it needs to either have wartime provenance about it, the more notoriety the better, and/or be from Germany. An 8x60 U-boat personally owned by Doenitz, say...

Last edited:
The WX is an astro binocular and well regarded there. Many of those guys have a lot invested in telescopes, etc.
They are often a bit careful with the budget, so don't like to spend a lot on binoculars.
A great binocular at the highest level, but a small market.

Jerry

How is collecting binoculars odd? For you perhaps, but many people collect other things such as stamps etc.

Andy W.

Years ago I visited a friend only to discover he collects telephone-pole-insulators. Said to me he'd probably the second best collection in the world... out of three. I'd never seen so many doorstops:LOL:

I agree with dries1, those who want them already have them, I can’t see anyone paying more than the original asking price for a very long time. For astro the Fuji 10x50FMT is the usual “reference” and you can get almost as good as that for a fraction of its asking price. All the WX gives is width at the cost of a lot of ergonomic negatives. I’ve looked through the 10x WX and boy was the view amazing! If I won the lottery I might try to find some but they wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of the list.

Peter

Mine is still in the box unopened. Have not looked through them but I have looked through a non-Anniv issue pair and they are amazing.
On some watch forums owners post photos of their watches, wrist shots etc. Some high-end watches are delivered hemetically sealed and the forums have banned such photos.
If bartd has bought a WX merely as an object of speculation, I don't think that is a subject for discussion here.

John

No speculation here. I haven't decided if I want to sell it or not. Just asking for guy's thoughts, many have sent messages and some good ideas. Item was left to me by a friend.

I'll tell you what... I'll give you $1000 USD for them, because I feel bad you've had the misfortune to inherit such a white elephant.
My apologies if such poor attempts at levity are frowned upon here.
But seriously thats an amazing piece of equipment! My condolences for the loss of your friend. Hope you figure out if they are for you or better sold. Good luck with your decision.

I am still alive, but sorta like your friend I have given away/sold optics because I no longer needed, wanted, used them;
and want them to be appreciated and used buy others. Once given away, it was entirely up to the receiptant what
they wanted to do with them.
I doubt that your friend would want you to be "burdened" with the WXs. Are you better off with the binoculars or with
the money received from selling?

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back