• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Pure vs EL - 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Wish I could help, but I've never owned 8.5x42 ELs. My brief looks through pairs owned by others were very impressive.

If I were you, I'd keep what you have and feel blessed.

As I wrote this morning in another discussion:

Yesterday I went to a local binoculars dealer and I've compared all NL''s (and some others binos) with my 2 gen 10x42 EL Swarovision (pre Fieldpro Edition), and I have found no improvings in central sharpness (the NL 10x42 was really a little bit less sharp than my EL). The only one pair of binoculars that was as sharp as mine in centre of the FOV was a FieldPro EL 10x42.
How do the new ELs compare to the pre 2020 models? I have heard that they are not the same after they changed them during this time period?

How do the new ELs compare to the pre 2020 models? I have heard that they are not the same after they changed them during this time period?
I have compared the new EL 10x42 only for few minutes with mine and I've not found any significant differences, except for the near focus distance. The new EL worth it's price.

Owlbarred, how would you compare the ELs to the NLs? I have received a new pair of 8.5 ELs and am debating on keeping them or moving up to the NLs. These are my first pair of real good glass and will hopefully last me for a very long time. Are the NLs that much better? Thanks for any advice you have on the subject.
If i have to choose one - I choose NL because it’s the best ) as I already have 2 NLs, I bought EL

How are you liking them?
другой корпус более массивный удобный для рук и глаз
NL более утонченный , его жалко как то бросить на диван в рюкзак)
Картинка у обоих супер чистая хотя я конечно не эксперт
У NL есть какая то очень легкая прозрачность что даже не ясно она кажется или есть на самом деле , какая то легкая магия
Но у NL есть glare когда солнце и это чувствуется , EL в этом плане лучше
Воообщем минимальная разница и не стоит того чтобы дергаться и менять доплачивать по моему
А вот NL 32 это конечно чудо

I’ve tried all the NL’s and EL’s in the 42’s and 32’s , and most of them in side by side comparisons on multiple occasions. I also kept a few of them.

Imho I feel the NL’s are like an EL slightly enhanced by taking all the good features of the EL’s and improving on them. Central sharpness might be the least of the improvements. FOV-check, better panning qualities-check, larger sweet spot-check, beater focuser-check.

Where it becomes more subjective is NL is less color neutral, a tad warmer without losing true color. It’s such a small change that most people wouldn’t even see it even in side-by-side comparisons. The EL image is literally sharp to the edge, but then it’s a slightly flatter image. Eye box comfort is very good with both , but EL is about as good as it gets in that area.

It’s all in the eye of the beholder and the beholders wallet. The question we hear a lot, is it worth the extra $xxxx. We’ll that could be said for just about every price point. Is the SLC worth $xxx more than a conquest or a MHG? Are those worth $xx more than a Terra or Monarch 7?

When looking at the EL’s , in my opinion they are still the best priced alphas on the market. Optically they are certainly in the top 4-5 best binoculars in the world today , and probably the best for the $.

If you have the money and just going to get the best swaros available, go NL. But if you have EL’s , there’s really no reason unless you want the FOV and better focuser.

Paul

I’ve tried all the NL’s and EL’s in the 42’s and 32’s , and most of them in side by side comparisons on multiple occasions. I also kept a few of them.

Imho I feel the NL’s are like an EL slightly enhanced by taking all the good features of the EL’s and improving on them. Central sharpness might be the least of the improvements. FOV-check, better panning qualities-check, larger sweet spot-check, beater focuser-check.

Where it becomes more subjective is NL is less color neutral, a tad warmer without losing true color. It’s such a small change that most people wouldn’t even see it even in side-by-side comparisons. The EL image is literally sharp to the edge, but then it’s a slightly flatter image. Eye box comfort is very good with both , but EL is about as good as it gets in that area.

It’s all in the eye of the beholder and the beholders wallet. The question we hear a lot, is it worth the extra $xxxx. We’ll that could be said for just about every price point. Is the SLC worth $xxx more than a conquest or a MHG? Are those worth $xx more than a Terra or Monarch 7?

When looking at the EL’s , in my opinion they are still the best priced alphas on the market. Optically they are certainly in the top 4-5 best binoculars in the world today , and probably the best for the $.

If you have the money and just going to get the best swaros available, go NL. But if you have EL’s , there’s really no reason unless you want the FOV and better focuser.

Paul
Hi Paul, Very insightful points! I have purchased a new pair of ELs and am having a bit of fear of missing out in regards to the NLs vs ELs. Its a sizable jump to the NLs money wise and was curious as to how much better they were. I was also curious as to the “new" El and how it compared to the previous models it replaced .

Hi Paul, Very insightful points! I have purchased a new pair of ELs and am having a bit of fear of missing out in regards to the NLs vs ELs. Its a sizable jump to the NLs money wise and was curious as to how much better they were. I was also curious as to the “new" El and how it compared to the previous models it replaced .
There is absolutely no difference in the image quality from the new (longer short focus) and the previous model, I’ve spent time with both. Another interesting fact is that the newer version short distance range is not that long and you don’t notice the four feet difference. The previous EL was one of the best on the market for short distance at 1.8m and better than the new NL in that spec. I generally don’t use 42mm , $2000 binoculars to look at objects 6 feet away.

Imo opinion I don’t think you’re missing out on much between the EL and NL, where your missing out is in the Leica Noctivid. 🤭😆🙏🏼

There is absolutely no difference in the image quality from the new (longer short focus) and the previous model, I’ve spent time with both. Another interesting fact is that the newer version short distance range is not that long and you don’t notice the four feet difference. The previous EL was one of the best on the market for short distance at 1.8m and better than the new NL in that spec. I generally don’t use 42mm , $2000 binoculars to look at objects 6 feet away.

Imo opinion I don’t think you’re missing out on much between the EL and NL, where your missing out is in the Leica Noctivid. 🤭😆🙏🏼
Oh boy! I actually had been looking at the Noctivid but had read in quite a few places how some sensitive to CA find it lacking in that category. I think I owe it to myself to check them out lol Are they really good?

Oh boy! I actually had been looking at the Noctivid but had read in quite a few places how some sensitive to CA find it lacking in that category. I think I owe it to myself to check them out lol Are they really good?
CA talk in Noctivids is completely overblown. I’m sensitive to CA but I see none in 90% of my observing within the image circle, even in difficult lighting scenarios. If I did I wouldn’t have them. I assume there is a small group of people who are super sensitive to CA, but those same people will probably be able to find CA in both the NL, EL and Sf’s.

Imo (and experience) all the top four or five binoculars have areas where they emphasize one characteristic over another. It’s all about a balance.

When I look at the top five, NL, EL, SF, UVHD and Noctivids , an analogy that I use is they’re all like world class performance cars, with the highest possible performance specifications, and every one of them is a beast. The question then becomes , do you want the Mercedes AMG, the BMW M5 competition or the Porsche Turbo Carrera etc. etc.

Drive before you buy, or if you can, buy all of them. I have a client that has all those cars and a few others, disgusting 😂🤪🙏.

Paul

CA talk in Noctivids is completely overblown. I’m sensitive to CA but I see none in 90% of my observing within the image circle, even in difficult lighting scenarios. If I did I wouldn’t have them. I assume there is a small group of people who are super sensitive to CA, but those same people will probably be able to find CA in both the NL, EL and Sf’s.

Imo (and experience) all the top four or five binoculars have areas where they emphasize one characteristic over another. It’s all about a balance.

When I look at the top five, NL, EL, SF, UVHD and Noctivids , an analogy that I use is they’re all like world class performance cars, with the highest possible performance specifications, and every one of them is a beast. The question then becomes , do you want the Mercedes AMG, the BMW M5 competition or the Porsche Turbo Carrera etc. etc.

Drive before you buy, or if you can, buy all of them. I have a client that has all those cars and a few others, disgusting 😂🤪🙏.

Paul
All things considered, Noctivids have the best image of any binocular I've looked through. I've had UV 42 & 32, EL 42 & 32, SF 42 & currently 32 and have spent some time with NV 10x42 & 8x32 though never owned to be honest.. All great binoculars no doubt but, in my opinion, Noctivids, again, all things considered, have the best image. Recently went down the SF 32 route looking for smaller & lighter but couldn't bear to trade in the NV's.

I was also curious as to the “new" El and how it compared to the previous models it replaced .

For what it's worth, my brother who uses an 8.5x42 EL SV Fieldpro as his main binocular (something like 85% of his birding or more) has tried the new EL "Legend" series and thought the demo Legend model was just as good.

Paul
It’s hard for me as where I am there is no place that sells any of these unless I drive for multiple hours. I would love to try the Noctivids and compare to the ELs.

For what it's worth, my brother who uses an 8.5x42 EL SV Fieldpro as his main binocular (something like 85% of his birding or more) has tried the new EL "Legend" series and thought the demo Legend model was just as good.
That’s good to hear, especially from someone who has experience with both. I did pose the question as to what changed on the new Legend EL to Swarovski, and they said only the longer focus distance but the rest is unchanged.Who knows I suppose.

I did compare both as well as their direct competitors from Leica and Zeiss. All are quite superb, all have pro's and con's but at the end of the day I bought the pair that suited me from an ergonomics, optics and feel good perspective.

I am delighted with my NL Pure 10x42's.
Did you compare the NLs to Zeiss Victory SFs? Just curious as I'm looking for an upgrade. Thanks!

Did you compare the NLs to Zeiss Victory SFs? Just curious as I'm looking for an upgrade. Thanks!
I did and thought they were lovely.

As I said all three top end 10x42's were superb and it came down to what I felt the most comfortable with and the NL's fitted my facial profile better than the Zeiss and Leica's.

Again not a lot between them and again, if you can, try them. I was very lucky that all three were in stock at an RSPB Nature Reserve and by actually using and comparing them side by side I was able to choose the ones I eventually bought.

Absolutely no regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back