• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Pure vs EL - 10x42 (3 Viewers)

EL, NL... unless you must have that flat field, it's still worth considering the classic SLC (HD or WB) 10x42, now available new as "Kahles Helia S", or you can pick up a used SLC which Swaro will refurbish as needed (as I did), either way for around $1300-1400. A gorgeous binocular.
Sorry for going off the topic ....BUT.... Tenex can you tell me how do you find the focuser on the K. Helia S? better, smoother or the opposite? Could you compare it directly to EL or SF focuser?

In general I'd say the SLC focuser is quite like ELs, but my SLC is the early HD version and I haven't seen recent ELs either, so others could give a more direct answer, especially who actually have Helia S.

I would say the focuser of the EL is just a bit smoother. However, I prefer the SLC, because the eyecups fit my eyes better and I prefer the ergonomics as well. I do not care about field flatteners.

I have the SLC 8x42 and the NL 10x32. The focuser of the NL is really smooth and on the right place. The view is just a bit more crisp in the NL. I do not know what it is. I still do prefer the eyecups of the SLC. The SLC shows less glare as well. So I use the NL in bright day light and the SLC in dim light.
Both really nice. The EL 10x42 I had before was a bit heavy and I did not find the hold comfortable. The eyecups did not really fit my eye sockets too. There had to be an extra click between the last two eyecup positions.

Well if your going to look at others like SF , then you gotta look at the nicest, the Leica 8x42 Noctivids. Delicious warm and saturated image quality, and built like a Rolls Royce.
Wow, I have to agree. The Noctivids were the best combination of image quality and robust build until the hunting community got the updated Swaro EL RF TA a couple years back. The EL RF TA are unfortunately overlooked by birders as they are slightly larger & heavier, not well known, and cost over $4K. Pictured are Noctivids and EL RF TA's.

Attachments

• IMG_5564.jpeg
    IMG_5564.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • tempImage5CSbCo.png
    tempImage5CSbCo.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Wow, I have to agree. The Noctivids were the best combination of image quality and robust build until the hunting community got the updated Swaro EL RF TA a couple years back. The EL RF TA are unfortunately overlooked by birders as they are slightly larger & heavier, not well known, and cost over $4K. Pictured are Noctivids and EL RF TA's.
Lol, nice Nocs in the snow. The TAā€™s are marvelous glass. I think borders pass on them because most donā€™t really need or want the range-finding element and the cost. I recently tried a 10 x 42 Geovid pro rangefinder, itā€™s the best of both worlds , it gives you the range finding ability of the swarovski with the delicious image quality of the Leicaā€™s.

Paul

EL, NL... unless you must have that flat field, it's still worth considering the classic SLC (HD or WB) 10x42, now available new as "Kahles Helia S", or you can pick up a used SLC which Swaro will refurbish as needed (as I did), either way for around $1300-1400. A gorgeous binocular.
I have the 8x42 SLC and I am perfectly happy with them. The view is bright and crystal clear and I don't feel that I am missing anything at the far edge of the view. The difference in view between the EL and the SLC at the outer edge is minimal. Yes the EL gives a marginally clearer view but it's not a deal breaker for me and I love my SLCs

I have looked through the 8x42 and 10x42 NLs and the image clarity is excellent but certainly not worth the Ā£1K extra in my opinion.

The SLCs are seriously underrated and are often overlooked as excellent binoculars.

I have the 8x42 SLC and I am perfectly happy with them. The view is bright and crystal clear and I don't feel that I am missing anything at the far edge of the view. The difference in view between the EL and the SLC at the outer edge is minimal. Yes the EL gives a marginally clearer view but it's not a deal breaker for me and I love my SLCs

I have looked through the 8x42 and 10x42 NLs and the image clarity is excellent but certainly not worth the Ā£1K extra in my opinion.

The SLCs are seriously underrated and are often overlooked as excellent binoculars.
Diminishing returns... The extra price for that 'tiny bit more' can be eyewatering.

Anyone NOT happy with SLC's needs to go and have a quiet word with themselves.....

However, it's always nice to know you have the best, and if that's important then go for it.
We'll all be in a box one day, and there's no re-run, so you may as well be happy en-route(y)

Buy EL and be happy) everyday Iā€™m trying to find differences with NL and found only one ā€” EL is more comfortable for me) NL needs few seconds to find right position

Buy EL and be happy) everyday Iā€™m trying to find differences with NL and found only one ā€” EL is more comfortable for me) NL needs few seconds to find right position
"...NL needs few seconds to find right position."
Glad you like the ELs -- they are superb. But I can't agree with your comment on the NLs.

"...NL needs few seconds to find right position."
Glad you like the ELs -- they are superb. But I can't agree with your comment on the NLs.
Owlbarred, how would you compare the ELs to the NLs? I have received a new pair of 8.5 ELs and am debating on keeping them or moving up to the NLs. These are my first pair of real good glass and will hopefully last me for a very long time. Are the NLs that much better? Thanks for any advice you have on the subject.

Wish I could help, but I've never owned 8.5/10x42ELs. My brief looks through pairs owned by others were very impressive.

If I were you, I'd keep what you have and feel blessed.

Last edited:
As I wrote this morning in another discussion:

Yesterday I went to a local binoculars dealer and I've compared all NL''s (and some others binos) with my 2 gen 10x42 EL Swarovision (pre Fieldpro Edition), and I have found no improvings in central sharpness (the NL 10x42 was really a little bit less sharp than my EL). The only one pair of binoculars that was as sharp as mine in centre of the FOV was a FieldPro EL 10x42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back