• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL32 vs SF32 (and a few others) (1 Viewer)

It isn't inevitable, if the lenses are below the dew point,and your eyeballs are moist and warm, moisture will condense on the lenses.

Only under those conditions will it occur.

You have a little chamber of saturated air between the two ends, but if the lenses are above the dew point, condensation will not occur.

PS. Condensation will not occur on your eyeballs.

I recently experienced more condensation than expected while using my 10x32 NL’s on a 50 degree morning. I’ve had this happen before with other optics, but it did seem like it was a little worse with these. In my opinion, I’m thinking it may be partially due to the coating on the external glass elements as well as the large size of the ocular elements.
it didn’t bother me too much. Just something to be aware of and deal with by holding them away from your face before it condensates too bad.

I’ve had this happen before with other optics, but it did seem like it was a little worse with these. In my opinion, I’m thinking it may be partially due to the coating on the external glass elements as well as the large size of the ocular elements.....
I'd say the large size of the eyeglass elements and perhaps the very low profile of the eyecups themselves, which may put the warm, moist eyeballs closer to the glass, which might be the culprit. I couldn't say whether the coatings are playing a role or not.

Good to know there are practical ways of dealing with it.

I would also add that perhaps this one of the rare circumstances where wearing glasses confers an advantage on the user... ;-)

-Bill

Last edited:
I recently experienced more condensation than expected while using my 10x32 NL’s on a 50 degree morning. I’ve had this happen before with other optics, but it did seem like it was a little worse with these. In my opinion, I’m thinking it may be partially due to the coating on the external glass elements as well as the large size of the ocular elements.
it didn’t bother me too much. Just something to be aware of and deal with by holding them away from your face before it condensates too bad.
Do you have any idea what the relative humidity or the dewpoint was at that time?

Do you have any idea what the relative humidity or the dewpoint was at that time?
I think that is very relevant point, especially if the user was wearing glasses and still observed condensation. With glasses, you wouldn't expect condensation unless the moisture was already in the air and not coming from his face.

I don’t wear glasses and do not know the specific environmentals at that time. Like Bill said, the relatively low profile eye cups and large ocular elements are the most likely culprits. I have the eye cups extended 2 clicks up from all the way in and also have the Winged Eyecups installed to reduce stray light from coming in from the sides. I definitely notice bright sunlight making it onto the large oculars when I don’t have them installed, causing bright flare spots. These differ from the glare on the objective lenses, but that’s for the many other threads regarding this issue!

Expanding on Tom's post #47 - from Gijs' just published comprehensive test of 8x30 and 8x32 models -
see the transmission graph for the NL 8x32 and the SF 8x32 (which is presumedly what zzzzzz intended in post #48?).
Gijs also comments in detail on both models.

John

Attachments

• 8x32 NL vs SF.jpg
    8x32 NL vs SF.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I don’t wear glasses and do not know the specific environmentals at that time. Like Bill said, the relatively low profile eye cups and large ocular elements are the most likely culprits. I have the eye cups extended 2 clicks up from all the way in and also have the Winged Eyecups installed to reduce stray light from coming in from the sides. I definitely notice bright sunlight making it onto the large oculars when I don’t have them installed, causing bright flare spots. These differ from the glare on the objective lenses, but that’s for the many other threads regarding this issue!
So you have made the sealed chamber even tighter,and moved your eyeballs closer to the lenses.

I don't experience condensation issue at all on all three NL pairs. Probably because I wear glasses all the time.

Does anyone wear glasses and experience this condensation issue ?

Regarding eye relief: from a non-eyeglass point of view it can seem that manufacturers (except Leica) are already going to extremes to accommodate demands from glasses wearers, thereby (with all the compromises involved in optical design) imposing costs in performance, mass, and/or price on everyone else.
I think Leica responded to perception like yours with the Noctivid with excellent 19mm Eye relief. Worked perfectly for me! although the FOV/AFOV is barely adequate!

I have a question. When you are looking with your binoculars into a deep, heavily backlit shadowed area, as a bird watcher, what is that you want to achieve? What is that bird or moment you are trying to view? What stops you from (at least in some situations) to change your position frequently?
9 times out of 10 I will want to keep the sun behind me.

Arijit

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back