• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (112 Viewers)

So a birder who has probably never heard of a species now thinks it is one two days later! Mmmmmmm.

What a typically arrogant statement - unless of course you know for a fact the observers' birding experience. It could be argued that the majority of even very experienced birders sub-consciously limit their identification of a briefly seen self-found "rare" to species on the British list ...

What a typically arrogant statement - unless of course you know for a fact the observers' birding experience. It could be argued that the majority of even very experienced birders sub-consciously limit their identification of a briefly seen self-found "rare" to species on the British list ...

Agree, just look at recent birds like the Dusky Thrush. Took a while for true identity to come to light from the first sighting. Nothing wrong with someone admitting they may have made a mistake. Although in this case I think it's now unlikely it will get accepted as either.
Lets's hope it gets relocated. I have seen a few Ortolans in that area and they do sometimes stay a few days

If you had seen a decent bird, in this case rather poorly, would you not have checked your books on returning home, not sometime later which appears the case here? I note that the Buntings in question are all on the same page in Collins. It also appears than the eureka moment takes place after recieving the email from Josh. Yes it is an odd date and the Description sounds interesting, but nothing more than that. Something to keep you eyes open for but unlikely to result in a extensive organised search!

If you had seen a decent bird, in this case rather poorly, would you not have checked your books on returning home, not sometime later which appears the case here? I note that the Buntings in question are all on the same page in Collins. It also appears than the eureka moment takes place after recieving the email from Josh. Yes it is an odd date and the Description sounds interesting, but nothing more than that. Something to keep you eyes open for but unlikely to result in a extensive organised search!

On returning home, some birders may well have checked their books. But, the finder may have different priorities and interests. We should not and cannot assume that the way in which we enjoy our hobby is shared by everyone.

There is an assumption, in some areas, that we should all be out scouring the coastline at every given minute. It is easy to say that now after a decent find, but where was everyone when the chap found the bird in the first place? It would seem the rarer Bunting is all speculation anyway, but respect to him for finding what was probably an unseasonal Ortolan. Personally, I won't be making any dawn raids on salt marshes or emailing folk to find out what's going on, hoping to be 'in the loop'. But, respect to those that do.

In short, whatever makes you happy without the wildlife suffering, do lots of that. As much as I love birding and I often dip in and out of this ere forum, there are other things in life. Put it this way, if a Grey-necked Bunting were found during the Lions 3rd test on Saturday, I would have a tough decision to make..........

Cheers,
Jim.

if a Grey-necked Bunting were found during the Lions 3rd test on Saturday, I would have a tough decision to make..........

Cheers,
Jim.

Replace Lions test with Ashes/World Cup final/British Grand Prix/any Spurs game and my views would be the same!
Saying that I hope the Lions win on Saturday....

Hickling Today

Got these shots from the Bittern hide at Hickling this morning.
Is this a Common Sandpiper?
Maybe part moult?
Please can you confirm or correctly identify it for me.
Also if indeed it is a common, is it a bit early to be on its travels?

Attachments

• Sandpiper2.jpg
    Sandpiper2.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Sandpiper3.jpg
    Sandpiper3.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Sandpiper1.jpg
    Sandpiper1.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 144
Got these shots from the Bittern hide at Hickling this morning.
Is this a Common Sandpiper?
Maybe part moult?
Please can you confirm or correctly identify it for me.
Also if indeed it is a common, is it a bit early to be on its travels?

Hi Paul,
Lovely photos.
Believe this to be a Green Sandpiper.
Oli

On returning home, some birders may well have checked their books. But, the finder may have different priorities and interests. We should not and cannot assume that the way in which we enjoy our hobby is shared by everyone.

There is an assumption, in some areas, that we should all be out scouring the coastline at every given minute. It is easy to say that now after a decent find, but where was everyone when the chap found the bird in the first place? It would seem the rarer Bunting is all speculation anyway, but respect to him for finding what was probably an unseasonal Ortolan. Personally, I won't be making any dawn raids on salt marshes or emailing folk to find out what's going on, hoping to be 'in the loop'. But, respect to those that do.

In short, whatever makes you happy without the wildlife suffering, do lots of that. As much as I love birding and I often dip in and out of this ere forum, there are other things in life. Put it this way, if a Grey-necked Bunting were found during the Lions 3rd test on Saturday, I would have a tough decision to make..........

Cheers,
Jim.

A tough call to make. Unfortunately I do not support Wales;) Hitler comments on the lions selection here. http://www.therugbyblog.co.uk/video-parody-hitler-reacts-to-the-odriscoll-news

Last edited:
Bunting dilema

So it's been the latest spring across Northern Europe for over 100 years, up to 3 weeks late in fact and everyone is therefore jumping to conclusions that because in a 'normal' year it would be a late record for an Ortolan that it must be a Grey-necked this year!?!?! If we go back three weeks on the calendar where would we be?? Oh yes, early June... which fits in with 'normal' Ortolan records.

The report from the observer would be more credible if he had described the features BEFORE consulting a fieldguide - our memory recall of what we have seen is not all that its made out to be, we often get many details wrong and I for one cannot believe the features described by the observer were correct AFTER he has consulted a fieldguide!!

Back to reality everyone...

So it's been the latest spring across Northern Europe for over 100 years, up to 3 weeks late in fact and everyone is therefore jumping to conclusions that because in a 'normal' year it would be a late record for an Ortolan that it must be a Grey-necked this year!?!?! If we go back three weeks on the calendar where would we be?? Oh yes, early June... which fits in with 'normal' Ortolan records.

Spring could be later than you think Mr Bilvo, 3 months late in fact which would make last Monday April the First.

Titchwell July 4th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 7 on fresh marsh
Knot – 2000 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 3 1st summer on fresh marsh

Paul

So many comments on here sum up the current "twitching" scene.

Not too many people care that an Ortolan has been reported because most people have seen one (ok, it's nice to see another but we're not all gonna panic over a report of one). Someone, sensibly in my opinion, suggests that this time of year may be better for a "mega" species that none of us have seen, so suddenly the whole witch-hunt thing starts up because, heaven forbid it should ever happen, a mega "tick" may just have slipped through our fingers. What the bird was will probably never be known, but what harm has the "possible Grey-necked Bunting" message actually done? People would've looked for it whatever it was so the fact it's not been relocated means it's probably moved on.

More importantly though, why do people feel the need to question the observer here? He put news out and then admitted he may have got the id wrong when questioned. If he had come out and said "actually, I think it may have been a female Reed Bunting" no one would bat an eyelid, but, because it may be a mega, people are now questioning him in ways that really aren't their business. It's this sort of attitude that can lead to suppression - who would blame him for not reporting the next rare or possible rare bird that he finds?

So you might have missed a mega, or even just an Ortolan. Either way life will go on and, who knows, if you put in same amount of time and energy into your birding as you do your doubting, you may just find the next one!

Chris have seen a few OB in Britain. Have yet to see a spring male which are pretty rare these days. Would have been a popular bird even as an OB. They are scarce cos the french eat them! Bad news if you happen to be an O Bunting!

Last edited:

Not too many people care that an Ortolan has been reported because most people have seen one (ok, it's nice to see another but we're not all gonna panic over a report of one). Someone, sensibly in my opinion, suggests that this time of year may be better for a "mega" species that none of us have seen, so suddenly the whole witch-hunt thing starts up because, heaven forbid it should ever happen, a mega "tick" may just have slipped through our fingers. What the bird was will probably never be known, but what harm has the "possible Grey-necked Bunting" message actually done? People would've looked for it whatever it was so the fact it's not been relocated means it's probably moved on.

More importantly though, why do people feel the need to question the observer here? He put news out and then admitted he may have got the id wrong when questioned. If he had come out and said "actually, I think it may have been a female Reed Bunting" no one would bat an eyelid, but, because it may be a mega, people are now questioning him in ways that really aren't their business. It's this sort of attitude that can lead to suppression - who would blame him for not reporting the next rare or possible rare bird that he finds?

So you might have missed a mega, or even just an Ortolan. Either way life will go on and, who knows, if you put in same amount of time and energy into your birding as you do your doubting, you may just find the next one!

I don't think anyone is moaning about the I.D. Well, I'm certainly not. It is, however, frustrating that news came out 4 hours after the initial sighting. Ortolan is a great bird to see, end of.

The report from the observer would be more credible if he had described the features BEFORE consulting a fieldguide - our memory recall of what we have seen is not all that its made out to be, we often get many details wrong and I for one cannot believe the features described by the observer were correct AFTER he has consulted a fieldguide!!

Back to reality everyone...

You’ve written a lot of sense, here, Bilvo.

However (and in the light of some subsequent comments), anyone who is able to ID (!) an Ortolan presumably knows how ‘desirable’ a bird it is- apart from its lovely looks.

That the news was broadcast on an internet news service indicates a degree of knowledge of the birding scene.

In addition, this news was communicated to the service after dark.

I’m not sure how many more boxes need to be ticked (unfortunate choice of word) for the term ‘suppression’ to be, at least, considered as a description of this unhappy series of mishaps.

Moreover, I don’t think anyone could do much more ‘damage’ than ‘lose’ a potential first for the UK ! ! !

Chris have seen a few OB in Britain. Have yet to see a spring male which are pretty rare these days. Would have been a popular bird even as an OB. They are scarce cos the french eat them! Bad news if you happen to be an O Bunting!

Not disagreeing. If it had been confirmed as an Ortolan Bunting and still there next day I would probably have gone after work (even though I too have seen a few and don't "need" it for Norfolk). However, if it was confirmed as a Grey-necked, I'd have got up early and gone before work...

Well said Chris.

I would have been chuffed to bits had it been an Ortolan and I got to see it, having never seen one in the UK before and, having seen one in Spain, knowing that they are gorgeous birds.

C'est la vie, there will be another.

Bridled march

It’s coming this way !

At the rate it’s southered, so far, it’ll be here in about a week.

And an “unconfirmed report of possible adult Great Black-headed Gull”, yesterday evening from Titchwell- for those who ‘need’ it for Norfolk. (The last record from Britain and Ireland seems to be 1859.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back