• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (11 Viewers)

The Butterfly season kicked off for me today, in the garden at Surlingham. 3 probable Small Tort were a little windswept, but a male Brimstone was unmistakeable!

Cheers,
Jim.

Quite a few Brimstones around as my train stopped in Thetford today - around eight or so fluttering around the sidings. Clocked a Small Tortoiseshell in Norwich near the station this morning, and possibly a Comma, although didn't get a decent look.

Also saw a few butterflies in Ely today (not Norfolk I know, but not far). A couple of Peacocks, more Brimstones, and some more Small Tortoiseshells.

Four Small Tortoiseshells and a Comma in my garden in Hopton this morning and then later at Strumpshaw large numbers of Brimstones and Small Tortoiseshells. Also along the Buckenham road at Strumpshaw, a White which looked like a Large White to me. A bit of research suggests that these are usually not on the wing for another month, so is this likely?

Ron

4 Species of Butterfly yesterday, and what a day it was. In my garden, many Small Torts and Brimstones (the latter mainly through rather than resting) and an afternoon walk at Wood's End added Peacock and Comma to the list.

Cheers,
Jim.

More butterflies

Also along the Buckenham road at Strumpshaw, a White which looked like a Large White to me. A bit of research suggests that these are usually not on the wing for another month, so is this likely?

Ron
That is an interesting record Ron and as you suggest does seem unlikely. One possibility (if the you didn't get a good view) was that it might have been a female Brimstone.

However, below is a link to the Butterfly Conservation's earliest butterfly records from 2002-2012. In many years, the earliest record for Large White's in the UK is in March.
http://butterfly-conservation.org/files/first-sightings-2002-to2012.pdf

A combination of a good butterfly year in 2013 and a mild winter may mean that Large Whites are being recorded earlier this year. It would be interesting to find out.

In the mild conditions on Sunday, I managed to see 4 species of Butterfly in Norwich (Small Tortoiseshell, Brimstone, Peacock and Comma).

Cheers

Steve

That is an interesting record Ron and as you suggest does seem unlikely. One possibility (if the you didn't get a good view) was that it might have been a female Brimstone.
Thanks Steve. It was only about a metre away and it definitely wasn't a Brimstone. It had black(ish) tips on the top sides of the wings and a couple spots underneath. My partner Lynn noticed it first and said "Oh look, a Cabbage White." I wish I had taken a photograph now but at the time I didn't think too much about it. Perhaps somebody else will find it.

Ron

Thanks Steve. It was only about a metre away and it definitely wasn't a Brimstone. It had black(ish) tips on the top sides of the wings and a couple spots underneath. My partner Lynn noticed it first and said "Oh look, a Cabbage White." I wish I had taken a photograph now but at the time I didn't think too much about it. Perhaps somebody else will find it.

Ron

Hi Ron,

It sounds as if you know what your saw but the time of year is naturally making you doubt yourself.

It is well worth submitting your record to the Norfolk Butterfly Recorder (HarrasedDad on Birdforum I think).

Regards

Steve

I know it is a few days ago but here in Walpole St. Peter, Sunday (9th) saw 3 x Peacock plus single Small T & Comma and my neighbour verified a Brimstone in his garden. Nothing since noted.

Regards, Gerard

Red Admaril today in Fakenham , yesterday brimstone and small torts on the north coast. See more small torts in the last week than I did all last summer ( but then that common in my local area ).

Emperor Moth

A fantastic find today at the end of the East Bank. Identified with the aid o fmy Twitter followers, thanks all! Nearly trod on it so decided to move from the shingle to a nearby bush where it sat quite happily.....

Attachments

• _MG_7357corr.JPG
    _MG_7357corr.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 98
Cracking Emperor Moth. Saw a pair together once but that's my only record and was donkeys years ago.

Saw my first Orange Tip of the year today with a male in Wacton village plus female Brimstone. Another female Brimstone at Tharston Ind Est west of Long Stratton.

Lots of Peacocks in the Great Moulton area also.

Lots of peacocks out today sunning themselves on a stony track. I flushed 22 off the 200 yard long track. Nothing unusall to do that in mid summer , but for my area that is a high number for the time of year. It bodes well given good weather for the summer emergance. Also saw a few brimstones , but they are in short supply in my woods for the time of year.

A good range of Butterflies at Rosary Cemetery in Norwich over the last couple of days. 1 Orange Tip and 1 Holly Blue today as well as several Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock. Also 1 Brimstone and a probable Large White yesterday. A few Bee flies, a singing Blackcap, singing Chiff Chaffs and Sparrowhawk soaring overhead made for a pleasant lunch hour.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back