• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Had my first taste of mothing last night after staying with a friend near New Buckenham. On checking the trap this morning, we found Elephant, Poplar and Privet Hawks, Dark Arches, Swallowtail, Buff Ermine, Pepper (I think) and loads of others I cant recall. Must have been 50 species, although I personally couldn't ID that many!
During the day, Small Tortoisehell, Red Admiral and Ringlet in the garden.
Cheers,
Jim.

The first white admiral was out at Swanton Novers on friday followed by a second one today. They are about a week late this year. Lots of commas out in the Wensum Valley south of Fakenham.

I had my second ever Camberwell Beauty yesterday at Martham. It flew right past me, almost within touching distance! Now I just need to see one perched...

Chris

I checked the Norfolk Butterflies 'site and see there are no records for TL9698. My regular dog walk takes me into this area so I'll be happy to record sightings. Seen since the weekend, 4/7/09 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 2 Large Skipper, 2 Meadow Brown, 8 Ringlets, 2 Red Admirals and 1 G-V white. 5/7/09 1 Painted Lady and 1 Small Skipper. This evening 1 Large White. Also seen in the week begining 21/6/09 lots of Peacock caterpillars.
All of the above seen between TL961985 and 961989.
I'll be away for a couple of weeks from next weekend but will try to visit more of the area after that.
HarrassedDad could you say exactly how much info you need. Do you want numbers of each species seen and grid reference or just a record of species seen in each tetrad.

Many thanks
Lewis

Ideally we'd like the classic "what,where,when and how many" - ie Species, No's, date seen and number seen (estimates are fine for common species so "50-70 meadow brown" is ok).
Many thanks for the records above. I'll try and get the map updated today.

Re Camberwell's - I once worked out that the odds of seeing one in Norfolk on a random day out were about the same as getting 5 numbers on the lottery - so congratulations.

My first Gatekeeper of the season, a male, was among good numbers of Ringlets along my lane yesterday afternoon (TG384290)...

James

Last edited:
Re Camberwell's - I once worked out that the odds of seeing one in Norfolk on a random day out were about the same as getting 5 numbers on the lottery - so congratulations.

I would've had 3 in Norfolk if the people watching one round the corner (about 20 yards away) from where I was stood in Wells Wood had called out about it!

Brief trip to Horsey gap on Saturday produced 65+ Dark Green frits, loads of meadow brown, gatekeeper and ringlet and 100+ small skippers. 8 Small heath, 3 large skipper, singles of speckled wood, small tort, painted lady, common blue, grayling and large white.

Trip to Hickling NWT today so that my partner could see some swallowtails luckily produced four reasonable sightings as well as a feeding purple hairstreak next to one of the trails, three white admirals, many gatekeepers and even more red admirals, and a couple of ringlet.

Gatekeeper numbers have been on the increase over here this week with Small Skippers becoming more prominent too. It was also nice to see a couple of brand spanking new, presumably Brish bred, Painted Ladies. On the school run this morning a particular stretch of hedgerow was absolutely alive with Large Whites, a real sight to behold...

James

Snettisham RSPB TF6531 + 6532

Thursday 16th July on a walk from the car park past the pits to the end produced the following:

Large White - 29
Small White - 18
Gatekeeper - min 52 (they were everywhere!)
Ringlet - 14
Red Admiral - 3
Small Tortoiseshell - 23 (is it my imagination or are Small Torts more numerous this year? Could hardly find any last year)
Peacock - 8
Comma - 3
Meadow Brown - 27
Essex Skipper - 3
Small Skipper - 7
Large Skipper - 5
Small Heath - 4

Only thing I didn't get which I'd expect to down there is Grayling, which I've had in previous years but it was quite windy, or I wasn't observant enough!

Irene

Several Grayling at Holme Dunes yesterday along with Gatekeeper, D G fritillary, Large white and also more spanking fresh Painted Ladies

In Norwich today and popped into Trowse Wood (just at the start of Whitlingham Lane). There's a couple of buddlias in the middle that were heaving with commas and peacocks. A few meadow brown, large and small whites and a single red admiral also feeding there. Elsewhere in the wood speckled wood and ringlet, and something fluttering around the treetops that might have been a purple hairstreak.

At Swanton Novers there has been a notable influx of large whites. Mid week very high whites were noted passing across the scopes vision while watching honey buzzards. 150 picked up on the butterfly survey compared to 20 odd last week. The heavy rain has badly affected the ringlets with a 60% drop in numbers this weekend. Numbers normaly remain high well into the 3rd week in July before falling. Comma numbers have also dipped sharply from high numbers during the week.
Purple hairstreaks showing well and good numbers of painted ladies about. Reasonable numbers of white admirals about , similar numbers for the past 3 poor summers , but well down on previous summers ( Pre 2003 )

A walk at TF63X yesterday in Snettisham for the BTO Bird Atlas produced more butterflies than it did birds.

In a stretch of one mile:

Large White 49
Gatekeeper 65
Meadow Brown 34
Painted Lady 31 (all fresh individuals)
Comma 3
Small White 27
Small Skipper 11
Small Tortoiseshell 9
Peacock 7
Speckled Wood 1
Green veined white 18

Irene

A long (and windy!) walk around Upton Fen produced:
200+ Peacocks
500+ Large Whites
100+ Small Whites
16 Meadow Brown
2 Small Skipper
1 Common Blue
1 Painted Lady
1 Comma
1 Gatekeeper
5 Ringlet
1 Small Copper
2 Tortoiseshell....
but NO White Admirals!
This site is usually so reliable for the species!
Are people seeing them elsewhere?

A while back, quite possibly on this thread, I seem to remember Horning being mentioned as a good spot for Swallowtail. Am I correct? If so whereabouts, and what other species are possible? Weather permitting I will be out on the east coast in the next few days and with Horning very much on route, I would appreciate any gen.
Cheers,
Jim.

Brown Argus?

Saw around three of these today near a heathy type patch south of Harleston, don't recall seeing one like it before so might well be a first for me!

Also found good numbers of the more familiar species including Painted Ladys etc, nodoubt helped by the numerous Budliea bushes in the area!!

Matt

Attachments

• weybread 010 (Custom).jpg
    weybread 010 (Custom).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 80
  • weybread 018 (Custom).jpg
    weybread 018 (Custom).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 73
Matt, yes that's Brown Argus - do you have a grid reference? We've a distinct lack of records from the Long Stratton, Harleston, Bungay triangle.
Horning is good for swallowtails, although it's getting a bit late in the season. However, one was reported from Strumpshaw yesterday so some are still flying.
Most recent White Admiral record I've received was for Upton Village (gardens of the care home) and they've just turned up in Mousehold Heath. My feeling is they're having a good year, but they are very fussy about weather conditions - you need a warm, sunny afternoon to get them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back