• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North India Owls and other bird help please! (1 Viewer)

Dr_ADH

Hello
I am heading to India this weekend on a tiger safari trip, and would love to get some bird advice if possible. I have bought the Grimmet & Inskipp book, but am struggling to come to terms with all these species that are new to me, let alone work out which I should try and target where possible!
I'd be grateful if someone might be able to tell me in particular what Owls I might be able to see, and perhaps some other key birds to look out for.
I will be going to Ranthambore, Bandhavgarh and Kanha reserves, with a morning in Bharatpur. For instance, I've just seen a report of a recent visit to Bharatpur where a Collared Scops Owl was seen, but as far as I can see the book doesnt show them being in this area? Again with regards the Owls, it looks like the Oriental Scops, Brown Wood and Brown Hawk Owls might be possible but its really hard to tell from the maps, which understandably are quite small, but for such a large country! But you can't beat first hand experience, whatever the book says!
Thanks very much
Adam

Thanks for this, will def be asking the guides for sure, and that site is great. Can anyone else advise on those parks at all, and on some key birds to keep eyes peeled for?
thanks
Adam

As temmie says, ask around when you get to the parks.

At Bharatpur the easiest way to find owls is to hire one of the many local bird guides who will accost you at the entrance. They tend to keep tabs on roosting / nesting owls and nightjars. Ask them about which species they can show you, which should at a minimum include Dusky Eagle Owl, Indian Scops (split from Collared Scops), and Spotted Owlet. They might also be able to show you roosting Brown Hawk-Owl, but I don't recall seeing it there.

At Bandhavgarh you should make an effort to see Mottled Wood Owl. A pair roosts in the large trees at the main entrance gate. You can try asking park staff and tourist guides if they know where the owls are, and if nobody knows just spend a bit of time scanning the vine tangles. This species will also be present at Kanha, so again ask around. Both reserves should also have Brown Fish Owl, and Ranthambhor certainly does.

Hello DMW
thanks so much for that, that's super helpful. I really can't wait to get there! I'll certainly post how I get on in case that's of help to anyone.
best regards
Adam

hey Jos
nice to hear from you again, thanks very much. When I get back from India I will also fill you in on our Swedish adventure a couple weeks back!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back