• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

November Butterflies. (5 Viewers)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Here's hoping ... Had a few Red Admiral and Peacock today and it's been a mild autumn (had 10 species locally in the first week of October).

There were some 18 species on the wing in the Netherlands last week (including Map, Pale Clouded Yellow and Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell), but seeing any more than four species would mean a new November species for me.

39 Red Admiral (15 migrating, 24 feeding on radish-like crop), 5 Comma, 3 Clouded Yellow, 2 Peacock and 2 Small White on my patch today.

Red Admiral on the roof outside my window taunting me whilst I stay indoors completing uni assignments. Put a smile on my face though |:D|

2 Small Tortoiseshell and a Red Admiral in the garden ( West Kirby, Wirral ) today. Also 1 Southern Hawker at 1320 hrs.

Last edited:
Cheers for the responses. Of course it's not quite so mild anymore, but hey ...

Spoke to a friend down here (Falmouth) who saw Speckled Wood yesterday in someone's garden. Myself, had a couple further Red Admirals on the afternoon of the 1st, another inside Truro Tesco on the 3rd, and another random one today.

A Red Admiral at lunch time today after our first proper frost of the autumn last night + not that warm when this was weakly flying.

Ditto with the Red Admiral today...in the glorious sunshine!

Also a Holly Blue in WC2 High Holborn, on Nov.1st.

Had a Small Tortoiseshell basking on the wall in garden midday today, 9th Nov. on Isle of Lewis (Western Isles) where today's weather has been sunny, no wind to speak of, and mild!!

After half a days rain and cloud, a Red Admiral appeared sunning itself at the tops of trees near Helston, Cornwall. I'm sure many others are still seeing the occasional butterfly but thought I'd just keep the thread ticking over.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back