• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

O-rings for eyecups (1 Viewer)

ReinierB

Netherlands
I would like to try o-rings for my EL 10x50. I think the perfect position for the eyecups would be between the fully extended postion and one down. I do not see the whole FOV when the eyecups are fully extended. One postion down and I see too much blackouts for my liking. If I pull out the eyecups a bit more, I see the whole FOV and I do not see blackouts. However, the eyecups will not stay in this postion. That's why I would like to try o-rings. Does anybody know which one will perfectly fit the EL42 and 50? (The eyecups have the same diameter). Where can I buy them? Any tips?
I have the winged eyecups of swaro as well, so maybe I can just put some o-rings first and after that the winged eyecups to get the perfect position.

I do not wear glasses btw.
Does anybody have some pictures of eyecups with a bunch of o-rings? I am a bit concerned that it will look a bit funny/ugly. Just one or two o-rings look okay, but with about 10 or more?

I obtained spare O-rings for my EDG eye pieces from Amazon, just use a caliper to find the outside diameter of the eye cup base and check amazon.

Did this on mine and it looked fine as black and blended in, used 3 on each. Unfortunately no photos cos I lost then in Portugal 😪.

I got mine from McMaster-Carr - it took 2-3 orders to get the size right:

I measured 38,7mm. It think 38mm o-rings will fit? Or they they have to be tighter?
What about the thickness? 2mm? 3mm?
I can also buy a couple of them and just try them out. I just don't like to waste :).

You don't necessarily need o-rings: get a pair of eyecups for Swaro 12x50, they can be used on the 10x50 and they are slightly shorter (as the 12x has shorter ER)---when they are fully twisted out their height is between the last two stops of the eyecups of the 10x, which is exactly what you want.

You don't necessarily need o-rings: get a pair of eyecups for Swaro 12x50, they can be used on the 10x50 and they are slightly shorter (as the 12x has shorter ER)---when they are fully twisted out their height is between the last two stops of the eyecups of the 10x, which is exactly what you want.
Thanks for the tip!
I already tried that, but it didn't work. When those eyecups are fully extended, I still do not see the whole field of view (of course better than with the orignal eyecups). The perfect position is the original eyecup one position down and than just one or two mm pulled out.
I am nitpicky, I know...

I measured 38,7mm. It think 38mm o-rings will fit? Or they they have to be tighter?
What about the thickness? 2mm? 3mm?
I can also buy a couple of them and just try them out. I just don't like to waste :).
I know, I now have several bags of 50 little o-rings, the wrong size, that I'll never use. McMaster sells them in lots of 50. I went through the same trial & error replacing a critical o-ring in my portable vaporizer recently.

If you measured 38.7mm I think 38mm would be the right size to try - there will be some degree of stretch and you don't want them too loose.

Is it also possible (in particularly with the swarovski EL's) putting o-rings on the inner site of the eyecups, so you do not see the o-rings?
I hope you understand what I am implying. Maybe a picture will help:

1699967317322.png

Does anybody have experience with putting o-rings on this part of the eyecups? I can imagine that might work as well. So turning the eyecup off. Putting a couple of o-rings on this part of the eyecup and turn the eyecup on again. In that case I can find an eyecup postion that fits my face better, without seeing the o-rings. Can this work as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back