• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths - 2021 (1 Viewer)

Ha Ha. Confusion reigns.
OK CN is common name.
What I meant was CN = Clifden Nonpareil which is the Common Name.
When the original reply gave the name as Clifden Nonpareil, I assumed that this was the Binomial. That is the way my brain works, I'm afraid, coupled with the fact that it is a very non-English name. One day i will learn NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING or get egg on my face. A very quick google gave me several sites where this name was capitalised, hence my follow up comment.
So, for the record. The moth in question is, Binomial - Catocala fraxini; common name - Clifden Nonpareil.

Ha Ha. Confusion reigns.

What I meant was CN = Clifden Nonpareil which is the Common Name.
When the original reply gave the name as Clifden Nonpareil, I assumed that this was the Binomial. That is the way my brain works, I'm afraid, coupled with the fact that it is a very non-English name. One day i will learn NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING or get egg on my face. A very quick google gave me several sites where this name was capitalised, hence my follow up comment.
So, for the record. The moth in question is, Binomial - Catocala fraxini; common name - Clifden Nonpareil.
Correct, or you can use the old English name of Blue Underwing.

As a sequel to my Saturday night CN arriving during a heavy shower, I texted a colleague who resides in Cambs.some 60 miles to the North West.
This was the spur for him to put out his trap, where he caught some odds and ends to include a Silver Y, following on from which he found a Dewick’s Plusia on the Sunday morning!

A coincidence of immigrants?

Cheers

As a sequel to my Saturday night CN arriving during a heavy shower, I texted a colleague who resides in Cambs.some 60 miles to the North West.
This was the spur for him to put out his trap, where he caught some odds and ends to include a Silver Y, following on from which he found a Dewick’s Plusia on the Sunday morning!

Cheers
Dewick's Plusia is now breeding in places so may not be a migrant here.

Cheers
Is that now the collective noun for migrants Ken ;)

Is that now the collective noun for migrants Ken ;)
Why not.😂

Regarding the size of CN Andy, certainly the biggest moth that I’ve seen, and when in flight beneath my security light, the dominant “colour” was white with secondary black curved lines.
With hindsight, I regret not having filmed the flight sequence, as it was most spectacular to the point of not bearing any resemblance to the static images as shown of the species.😮

Last edited:
November Moth agg NFY this morning, but star billing goes to my second Merveille du Jour of the year, they really are glorious! Also, after a short absence, the bloody wasps are back!

Attachments

• IMG_20211007_065311.jpg
    IMG_20211007_065311.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211007_065330.jpg
    IMG_20211007_065330.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 8
November Moth agg NFY this morning, but star billing goes to my second Merveille du Jour of the year, they really are glorious! Also, after a short absence, the bloody wasps are back!
You need to turn your light off, half an hour earlier, the light has to be off by the time they start to emerge for the day or it's inevitable that they will end up at your light.

I got stung three times this autumn!

Just six moths this morning - one of them was a Silver Y which I realised was only my third of the year.
Steve

Just six moths this morning - one of them was a Silver Y which I realised was only my third of the year.
Steve
Steve

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can't believe how the status of some common moths can be so different, just a few miles apart, Silver Y is and has always been, very common here

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can't believe how the status of some common moths can be so different, just a few miles apart, Silver Y is and has always been, very common here
I find with Silver Y, which is a migrant rather than resident species, the numbers can vary massively year to year. Super abundant some years & relatively scarce in others. Surprised you always find it very common.

I find with Silver Y, which is a migrant rather than resident species, the numbers can vary massively year to year. Super abundant some years & relatively scarce in others. Surprised you always find it very common.
Numbers do vary but most years, once I get the first one, they'te present almost every night. On one occasion, presumably during a migration, I found 39 individuals at my light in the morning.

This year, I had 18 on 11 dates in Aug which dropped to just a single in Sept and last year in Aug, I had 32 on 16 dates. with 11 on 9 dates in Sept, these are expected figures here.

A reasonable catch for moi last night, mostly on the wall beneath the halogen security light.

- Black Rustic, Box Tree Moth (both types), Brimstone x2, Barred Sallow, Sallow x2, Red-green carpet, Figure eight, Green-brindled Crescent, Mottled Umber and what I have to assume…a “very late” small Willow Beauty?

Cheers

Attachments

• CA769210-BB6F-44C0-B28A-78E6D7AFA481.jpeg
    CA769210-BB6F-44C0-B28A-78E6D7AFA481.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
36 moths of 11 species at dawn this morning in an Ealing park trap. Box Moth still most numerous.

Best were Sallow & Deep Brown Dart.

A reasonable catch for moi last night, mostly on the wall beneath the halogen security light.

- Black Rustic, Box Tree Moth (both types), Brimstone x2, Barred Sallow, Sallow x2, Red-green carpet, Figure eight, Green-brindled Crescent, Mottled Umber and what I have to assume…a “very late” small Willow Beauty?

Cheers
I had one last night too which is my latest ever by two days.

I had another last night which is my latest record for the species and I also had my latest ever Snout which beat the previous latest by over two weeks.

Last edited:
Mine is still on the window! 😮
I had an Angle Shades which sat all day and night too.

We have a light outside and it's not uncommon during cold spells, to see a moth remain in the same place under the light, for several days.

I had an Angle Shades which sat all day and night too.

We have a light outside and it's not uncommon during cold spells, to see a moth remain in the same place under the light, for several days.
I took the liberty of Chivvying it (just to make sure it was still with us) and it promptly fluttered to the waste pipe.
I had another good night! 12 species of 19 to include 4 Merveille du jours, the 2 types of Box Tree, Black Rustic, Pink-barred Sallow and Angle Shades to name but the stars!

Attachments

• 1F25CF3E-8791-4146-8D0F-0EC34D07AD0F.jpeg
    1F25CF3E-8791-4146-8D0F-0EC34D07AD0F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • F86ACC2C-4309-4859-9500-8F7131A24BA6.jpeg
    F86ACC2C-4309-4859-9500-8F7131A24BA6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 1A485972-786B-4D30-96B8-96C6DCD5B55B.jpeg
    1A485972-786B-4D30-96B8-96C6DCD5B55B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 8FDD7BD4-60DD-49CF-B77E-1A2692AC2C68.jpeg
    8FDD7BD4-60DD-49CF-B77E-1A2692AC2C68.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 23458ACD-0475-438C-9A99-E92C7BFD895C.jpeg
    23458ACD-0475-438C-9A99-E92C7BFD895C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • B9432779-645E-49B0-9D95-E289C04620A1.jpeg
    B9432779-645E-49B0-9D95-E289C04620A1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back