• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey migration UK (1 Viewer)

Saerwen

We had a superb view of an osprey flying over Poole harbour today. It was wonderful but completely unexpected, as I thought ospreys don't leave us until September. Does anyone know if this is unusual? Was it a non-breeder returning early?

We had a superb view of an osprey flying over Poole harbour today. It was wonderful but completely unexpected, as I thought ospreys don't leave us until September. Does anyone know if this is unusual? Was it a non-breeder returning early?

Maybe it was a 2 yo returning for the first time. There are a number of 2005 birds which were translocated to Rutland and none of them have shown up yet. Let us hope it is one of those.

For Rutland site see:

http://www.ospreys.org.uk/

Last edited:
.........but completely unexpected, as I thought ospreys don't leave us until September.

Female Ospreys could be starting to leave the breeding areas now......leaving dad behind with the kids.

It could also, as you suggested, have been a non-breeding bird. Not all Ospreys that occupy territories will breed in any given year.

cheers
martin

With something like 150+ Breeding pairs now in the UK; non-breeding youngsters from previous years are now beginning to appear in unexpected places and sometimes at unexpected times.

I wouldn't have thought that many breeding females would be heading south just yet would they?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back