• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ospreys at Kielder (1 Viewer)

If anybody is planning a trip up it is worth popping into Kielder Water Bird of Prey Centre. If nothing else to see thier white tailed sea eagle.

Kielder Bird of Prey Centre

We have been several times, and I can certainly endorse Craig's advice. Not one for liking caged birds, I think the set-up and care of the birds by Ray and his staff is very impressive indeed.

Not only that, the Flying Exhibitions are great fun, with everyone from the older generation and children having the opportunity of handling the birds.
We took our little seven year old honorary grand-daughter. At first, she was terrified of the birds, but the staff introduced her to a tiny owl, and by gradually increasing her confidence, Ray was able to show her the big owl and she coped well.
Kielder is increasingly a great place for a day out, especially if you are active and mobile. The Calvert Trust caters for disabled groups, too.

If anybody is planning a trip up it is worth popping into Kielder Water Bird of Prey Centre. If nothing else to see thier white tailed sea eagle.

We have been several times, and I can certainly endorse Craig's advice. Not one for liking caged birds, I think the set-up and care of the birds by Ray and his staff is very impressive indeed.

Not only that, the Flying Exhibitions are great fun, with everyone from the older generation and children having the opportunity of handling the birds.
We took our little seven year old honorary grand-daughter. At first, she was terrified of the birds, but the staff introduced her to a tiny owl, and by gradually increasing her confidence, Ray was able to show her the big owl and she coped well.
Kielder is increasingly a great place for a day out, especially if you are active and mobile. The Calvert Trust caters for disabled groups, too.

I would echo this, I have been to a lot of BoP displays and this one is the best, it is really personnel and the WTE is magnificent. Did they ever find the Wallaby?

I would echo this, I have been to a lot of BoP displays and this one is the best, it is really personnel and the WTE is magnificent. Did they ever find the Wallaby?

Unfortunatley 'Hopper', the male wallaby, was hit on the road and suffered a broken hip. The vet had no option and had to destroy the animal.

Yes mate, both. The female was sitting, the male was hunting but did return to the nest once while i was there.

Sounds like you were pretty close to the nest Craig. What is the best spot to watch from?
I've been to Kielder Birds of Prey centre aswell and would agree with all the comments about how good it is. It's brilliant to see a Birds of Prey Centre where all the birds have the chance to fly free and are not just stuck in cages!!

Sounds like you were pretty close to the nest Craig. What is the best spot to watch from?
I've been to Kielder Birds of Prey centre aswell and would agree with all the comments about how good it is. It's brilliant to see a Birds of Prey Centre where all the birds have the chance to fly free and are not just stuck in cages!!

Not really close, about 2 miles away using a scope. It's best to go in the morning before the heat haze has time to build. The best place is the site that was used last year.

http://www.streetmap.com/map.srf?x=...archp=ids.srf&dn=752&ax=365772&ay=588755&lm=0

Most of my info comes from one of the forestry rangers who can get much closer than most.
For obvious reasons there are CCTV cameras around the site.

Last edited:
Great news, Craig. A wonderful fillip for Kielder too.

Is it true that there is a swallow's nest on the Kielder boat, "Osprey"?
It was mentioned on Springwatch.

Yeah it's true.
I was on the 'Osprey' looking for the Oprey last year (if you know what i mean) and the swallows were still feeding their young while the boat was moving. They followed it from leaplish to the dam wall and back it was brilliant.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back