• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Over run with sparrows (1 Viewer)

scottym512

United States
My wife loves feeding the birds. For years we've had a good mix of birds in our backyard. Tons of goldfinches, 3-4 pairs of cardinals, Carolina wrens, nuthatches, you name it. But this year they've almost all disappeared and we've been over run with sparrows. It's my assumption that the over abundance of sparrows has run off the other birds. Is there a solution for this? Thanks

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I think sparrows are mainly seed eaters, so maybe try providing nuts and fruits?

Hi Scotty and welcome aboard!

Yeah, Sparrows can be a royal pain when it comes to chasing off other species.

Hi, Scotty. Welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sparrows and grackles can both overtake the feeders. Don’t know of a way to really move them on without withholding the feed for a week or so.

Hi Scotty and a warm welcome from me too. Which species of sparrow are you talking about I wonder.... guessing House Sparrow? Trouble is I try to concentrate on feeding them here as they're in decline and I'm seeing fewer and fewer each year. Fifteen years ago it was a job to count the ones in my garden when the young had fledged now I'm seeing fewer than 15 in total! It's very sad.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

here's a pic through my kitchen window,up until a couple of years ago i would never see a house sparrow,as soon as i put feeders out i must get approx 50-60 every day,costing me a fortune,also got goldies calling

1694632912735.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2023-09-13 at 20.14.25.mp4
    13.1 MB
Cherish them PL.... my garden used to look like that... with that many, again, in the hedge too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back