• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl Webcams 2010 (2 Viewers)

without being big headed I think it was your suggestion that made me ask it on the ss. until then noone had mentioned it i believe. Its been a joint effort but we, yes US, may have saved them owls lives today. :)

I believe it, Ann. And did you see how many people were saying, "Carlos is a genius!" "Carlos deserves a medal!" gag me . . . .

Thanks for the other URL. It looks like the mist is blowing all over the place. I hope it does the job . . .

we can only hope. I've said its a steep learning curve Carlos is going through. I've said TY to Carlos for doing it even if its too late for the other 2. I think he wasn't expecting a second brood this year. I so hope this works. maybe over the winter we can nag him to resite the box. you up for it LOL?

without being big headed I think it was your suggestion that made me ask it on the ss. until then noone had mentioned it i believe. Its been a joint effort but we, yes US, may have saved them owls lives today. :)

The wind is causing a bit of a problem, but yayyy! At least he's trying. Many people jumped on the bandwagon after you did. When I mentioned it days and days ago it was one of those times where the message scrolled off so fast, and no one else commented, so I contacted him directly and he ignored me! I'm glad you mentioned it again Ann, and again how ever many times it took for someone else to start too! Those babies won't benefit as much as they would if there was no breeze, but the nest is obviously already more comfortable. Congrats, you did good!!!! o:)

Yes, either reposition the nest box, or even take it down after the spring brood has fledged. So that Molly won't be lured into a second clutch? I don't know.....

But you know, people have been complaining to Carlos for days on end about the heat and the discomfort of the owlets, and he keeps smiling and saying, "Oh, they're fine!" "They're fine!" "Let's play the MOLLY SONG..." I think he's a little bonkers.....bats in the belfrey and all that.

haha birdie. Bats in the belfry. I mentioned the mister thing about every two comments LOL. I wouldn't let it lie. As soon as someone said how are they today i sad too hot and need a mister. Dont even know what a mister is haha. I do now though Maybe he's just done it to shut me up and hope i go back to the UK barn owls. I'll give him his due he is trying. at last.

we can only hope. I've said its a steep learning curve Carlos is going through. I've said TY to Carlos for doing it even if its too late for the other 2. I think he wasn't expecting a second brood this year. I so hope this works. maybe over the winter we can nag him to resite the box. you up for it LOL?

Yes, I'm great at nagging! I hope he will move it to the north east of the property and under some shade. Not where it gets the south and west sun beating on it all day. If he had done this a week ago, and people had mentioned it to him, lots of times, maybe little one that died a couple of
days ago would have made it. Once the wind stops it will cool much more.

Shade would help sooo much. A nice shade tree would cool that box considerable. Think Bruces~ :)

i suggested buying a tree in the little ones memories and planting it next to the box. A big fast growing tree. I have bats in my belfry also lol

i suggested buying a tree in the little ones memories and planting it next to the box. A big fast growing tree. I have bats in my belfry also lol

yes, there are trees that are guaranteed to grow 10 to 15 feet a year! Diciduous so they wouldn't cast shade in the winter, just when it's needed in the hot months.

A mister, to work properly, in his environment, needs a hood of some sort to keep the mist where it's needed, but I think he's had about all he can handle for now.....I may write him again though when I think he can handle it....

I believe it, Ann. And did you see how many people were saying, "Carlos is a genius!" "Carlos deserves a medal!" gag me . . . .

Thanks for the other URL. It looks like the mist is blowing all over the place. I hope it does the job . . .

Gag me, too, genius my patooty! Carlos! Carlos! take a bow, Carlos, you finally got your thumb out of your tuckus and did something. Might be too little, but you did something! (applause, applause....these people amaze me)

Gag me, too, genius my patooty! Carlos! Carlos! take a bow, Carlos, you finally got your thumb out of your tuckus and did something. Might be too little, but you did something! (applause, applause....these people amaze me)

Can anybody say, "It's Howdy Doody time!?" Totally out of touch with reality. Like they're watching a cartoon where nothing bad will happen.

Can anybody say, "It's Howdy Doody time!?" Totally out of touch with reality. Like they're watching a cartoon where nothing bad will happen.

That's what it seems like! If they felt that way about other humans it would be considered psychopathic. I'd like to give Carlos and a few of the dingbats who thought it was so cute to play the "Molly" song while the poor owlets were dying a taste of their own medicine. Let's put them in an unprotected box in the hot sun for, oh, six hours, and see how much they enjoy having little ditties played in time with their labored breaths.

You know, there are laws in the USA about mistreatment and/or neglect of animals and I wonder if Carlos got reported to the SPCA or the Animal Control folks, and that's why he started doing SOMETHING to stop the torture. Wouldn't he have to have a permit of some kind to have an owl nestbox? Wouldn't it be about time to revoke that permit?

I got a very nice email from the Barn Owl Trust today about my concerns. The lady who emailed me assured me that: "...We will indeed be clearing the box out this winter to remove the nest debris from previous years..." She also said that she felt if there had been enough habitat to provide an adequate food supply, there would have been enough to go around and no blocking of the entryway could have prevented the littlest owlet from getting enough food.
Ah well, she has eased my mind about next year's owlets having a lot better chance. If they have to be an inch or two taller in order to get out of the box, that will make a big difference!

Last edited:
I got a very nice email from the Barn Owl Trust today about my concerns. The lady who emailed me assured me that: "...We will indeed be clearing the box out this winter to remove the nest debris from previous years..." She also said that she felt if there had been enough habitat to provide an adequate food supply, there would have been enough to go around and no blocking of the entryway could have prevented the littlest owlet from getting enough food.
Ah well, she has eased my mind about next year's owlets having a lot better chance. If they have to be an inch or two taller in order to get out of the box, that will make a big difference!

Good news Marjorie! Good work!!

Heaven help them if they're "near the foothills." 99 degrees? It must get up to 120-130 in that box, easy.[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been bellyaching about!! Much, much hotter IN the box than out of the box! Silly, silly man.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back