• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perpignan and Canary Islands (6 Viewers)

Are you sure? I never seen a Monk V in the Pyrenees, and I do not remember more than 2-3 Lammegeier at any one location. That does not mean that mixed flocks do not occur, but that the majority of birds in a large flock (if not all) are going to be Griffon.

Niels
This black vulture turned up to feed in the Chistau Valley in Aragon when I was there in 2015. I believe it was part of the Catalan reintroduction. Present also were well over a hundred griffons, 6 Egyptian Vultures and well into double figures of adult and immature Lammergeiers (it was difficult to put a precise number on them in the melee). I had accidentally turned up when they were putting food out for them and the sky was full of vultures. The black vulture stood out immediately amongst them when it appeared.

Attachments

• Black-Vulture-(3)-fbook.jpg
    Black-Vulture-(3)-fbook.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Lammergeier,-Chistau-Valley-(97)-fbook.jpg
    Lammergeier,-Chistau-Valley-(97)-fbook.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 46
  • Griffon-(5)-fbook.jpg
    Griffon-(5)-fbook.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Egyptian-Vulture-(6)-fbook.jpg
    Egyptian-Vulture-(6)-fbook.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Good to know that things have changed for the better. I got my Monk/Black V in Portugal a few years back.

Niels

Good to know that things have changed for the better. I got my Monk/Black V in Portugal a few years back.

Niels

Monk Vulture is now widespread and locally common in Spain, which is a big change since I saw my first back in 1992 when it was a rare bird to be found in Extramadura. Even around Madrid it is easy to see nowadays!

The "masked" face is one of the numerous details confirming this obvious Griffon Vulture.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...ing-sierra-de-guara-spain-picture-id500245586
Yes, and one can also see that detail on Barred Wobbler's picture of Griffons. I've never seen Lämmergeier in the wild, but the posture looks spot on for Griffon.

Even around Madrid it is easy to see nowadays!
I can confirm that as well, going back as far as 2013 in my case.

Last edited:

Niels

I had my first Andalusian one this spring when I photographed it coming in on northbound migration over the Strait at Punta Carnero.

Attachments

• Black Vulture (6)-fbook.jpg
    Black Vulture (6)-fbook.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 45
The "masked" face is one of the numerous details confirming this obvious Griffon Vulture.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...ing-sierra-de-guara-spain-picture-id500245586

Spot on Valéry - and the thin looking bill may just be due to the bird having its head tilted, something Grifos do all the time in flight. I think I must have seen half of all the Griffon's in Iberia, or something like that - no joke ;) The OP's photo has a little something that got me questioning and the suggestion of Lammergeier got me thinking - too much! As I said happy for the bird to be a Griffon - though I'm a little forlorn with me for dabbling!

Last edited:
I happily concede that the apparent Masked face on the image of the bird we have been looking at could equally well fit the profile of Griffon Vulture (possibly)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back