• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID (1 Viewer)

lizmcm

Please ID these birds. I took the pics this afternoon just before a thunderstorm - the wind was quite strong and it wasn't easy hand-holding my camera to my binoculars. These pics are my first ever - I've got some gear now - but no knowledge! |=)|
Liz

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 147
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 196
Hi all,

I agree with Redshank for the first photo and the other two individuals are Black-tailed Godwits.
Whilst the obvious wing bar and black tail are not obvious in this photo there are a couple of distinctive features evident.
Firstly, as Dave rightly mentioned, Black-tailed Godwits have longer legs, particularly the tibiae which is the upper leg between knee and body.
Secondly, Black-tailed Godwits have straighter bills which are orangey/pink culminating in a black tip. Bar-tailed bills would be more dark and more obviously upturned.

One more tip would be the wing appearance. Black-tailed Godwits have a more uniform "grey" wing, particularly in winter plumage whereas Bar-taileds are more obviously streaked or mottled. The wings on these birds appear to be very uniform.

Very good photos considering they were taken through bins!!!!

Regards,

Hi,
The length of the leg above the knee was a key to me deciding they were Black-tailed Godwits. Good tip regarding the 'more uniform grey wing' too, M Cowming.

And yes, very good shots taken through binoculars, Liz. Well done..... :t:

tracker

Looks perfect for Black-tailed Godwit to me also. Another i.d feature is that these birds shows a small supercilium ( stripe above the eye ) which is indicative of Black-tailed Godwits. Bar-tailed show a longer eye stripe.

Tom

Hi Liz,

A good tip for leg length on Godwits which makes it easy to remember is that there is room to write the work 'Black' on a Blackwit's upper leg, but only room for the word 'Bar' on a Barwit's.

No-one has yet specified what font should be used though... ;)

Rgds..... Ruby

Thanks everyone for your answers and tips. When I can afford a scope I may be able to get better shots to help with "IDing" what I see. I know I've got a lot to learn but in the meantime it's nice to know there are so many experts on this forum who are willing to share their knowledge.
Liz

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back