• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Popular" misspelt bird names (5 Viewers)

Me too - I also regret the demise of Palaearctic. Why has the Old World recently adopted a mostly New World spelling for part of the Old World? OK, it saves ink... ;)

Meybe it wasn't just a dislike for a diphthong, just that no-one could spell diphthong...
MJB
PS OK, here are the definitions:
1.A sound formed by the combination of two vowels in a single syllable, in which the sound begins as one vowel and moves toward another...
2.A digraph representing the sound of a diphthong or single vowel (as in feat).

Some digraphs have fallen out of use; in older texts (and especially in old bibles) two previously common were æ and œ

Meybe it wasn't just a dislike for a diphthong, just that no-one could spell diphthong...
MJB
PS OK, here are the definitions:
1.A sound formed by the combination of two vowels in a single syllable, in which the sound begins as one vowel and moves toward another...
2.A digraph representing the sound of a diphthong or single vowel (as in feat).

Some digraphs have fallen out of use; in older texts (and especially in old bibles) two previously common were æ and œ
Mike, you'll probably get banned for repeatedly, but wholly unsuccessfully, trying to raise the tone of BirdForum discussions. ;)

I once heard from a dear lady that she had a RED-BELLIED GOOSEBEAK coming to her bird feeder! (Rose-breasted Grosbeak) (* Saint Joseph, Missouri)

Just though of another one I have heard/read a couple of times "Pie-billed Grebe" for Pied-billed Grebe.

And, a few more: Ospray, Loggerheaded Shrike, Scissor-tail (Scissortail) Flycatcher.

OK, Ospray for Osprey, I can sort of understand. But, we have Loggerhead Shrike and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. You might understand why some people do become confused!

Dessert Wheatear (title of active thread in the RBI forum & why oh why aren't misspellings of this sort ever corrected by the mods?)

Then again, since you have a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Greater makes more sense (and major means greater, not great). But to be fair, Great ↔ Lesser is also used for Kiskadee, Grey Shrike and Elaenia.
I can’t find an example of the juxtaposition of Greater and Little though!

I've seen Swon and Chickady before. Kestral I've seen in older books.

(South Polar) Skewer, I haven't seen it written this way but when it was called on the PA during a pelagic I was thinking of the kitchen tool first for some odd reason.

Not quite as funny as when my old school friend thought birds had four legs however. :-O

Dessert Wheatear (title of active thread in the RBI forum & why oh why aren't misspellings of this sort ever corrected by the mods?)

Anyone prepared to set a spelling test for the mods?:eek!::eek!::eek!:
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back