• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: The Extraordinary Svbony SV202 8 x 42 ED. (1 Viewer)

which is best online store to buy SVBONY's? i live in northern Rockies USA. i bought 8x32's on Amazon, but they don't have the 8X42's or 10X42's.

which is best online store to buy SVBONY's? i live in northern Rockies USA. i bought 8x32's on Amazon, but they don't have the 8X42's or 10X42's.
I don't know which one is the best, there is the "svbony Official Store" on AliExpress, for example. I bought my SV202 8x42 in this store. The weight is not 480 grammes but 720 grammes.
You can also find the device on the official Svbony website : Svbony - Astronomer's favorite brand

Back in 2021 I found that Amazon had by far the best price here in Australia on the 8x32 and 10x42 and included free (and fast!) shipping. Plus it would be a lot easier to return them if necessary than shipping back to China. The Amazon seller is Retevis which is Svbony's parent company, on AliExpress or eBay you may be dealing with a third party. The eBay prices were off the charts - inferior models were priced higher than Svbony's list price for the top-of-the-line SV202. They make several models at varying price points so make sure you are ordering the SV202.

On Amazon Svbony periodically offer deals on one or other of their products, at least they do here in Aus so I assume they do elsewhere too. For example, a week or so back they had the SV202 10x42 reduced from $A200 to $A135. Those prices are inclusive of free shipping and 10% Goods & Services Tax so to compare to US prices knock off $A10-15 for shipping and 9% (100/110) of the remainder before converting to $US. The deals don't last long so it is worth keeping an eye on the Amazon listing and waiting rather than indulging in instant gratification. Someone here or on CN commented that SV seem to change price when they have a lot of stock. I think it's more a question of resupply - with the lockdowns in China over the last 2 years and the shipping difficulties it doesn't make sense for a vendor to sell its existing stock at a discount if they can't replace it. SV may also be responding to increased demand due to the interest created by the threads on BF and CN and positive Amazon reviews and be less aggressive on price in future.

i haven't seen any deals on the 8x42 yet. That may reflect lack of stock in Australia - On the 8x32 and 10x42 you can get next-day delivery but they're quoting delivery on the 8x42 of Feb 22-27 from Retevis AU against Jan 29 from Amazon US. In any case the pricing of the 8x42 is weird. Normally for a given model range the only difference between an 8x42 and 10x42 is in the focal length of the eyepiece and the 10x42 is priced at a small premium to the 8x42. That premium may have more to do with the consumer expectation to pay more for a higher magnification than any actual increased cost of manufacture. Yet SV have the 8X42 listed at $A290, $A90 more than the 10x42 and only $A10 less than the 10x50! * Is the 8x42 a completely different design to the 10x42 and more expensive to manufacture, but if so why does it share the SV202 nameplate? Since Neil has handled both perhaps he can comment on whether the two appear identical.

* A quick look at Amazon UK and US shows the same pricing anomaly, the 8x42 priced considerably higher than the 10x42.

Yes, the same thing happened to me. The rubber covering came off from the metal part of the eyecups.

Nevertheless, this is not a big issue as I said. For example, I can fully retract or extend the metal part and then replace the rubber covering. Or I can press on the rubber covering against the metal part and turn the eyecup at the same time, it works.

So there are many ways to fix the problem, including applying glue or Scotch tape.

In addition, on one of my pics, we can see that the effective eye relief is better when I don't put back the rubber covering. So this issue turns out to be actually an advantage for eyeglass wearers.
Good to know. I'll make a point of turning the eyecups gently, not giving them good solid flicks as I'd been doing (I like the visceral "click" when extending them).

I bought both of my 8x32 and 8x42 SV202 binoculars from the Svbony store on AliExpress. They had better pricing than Amazon. They ran a special coupon campaign during the winter holiday and also around Thanksgiving time. I got my 8x42 for $118 shipped, then the 8x32 for $88 shipped. Shipping estimates were really long, but then they arrived a good 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Perfect condition. No problems!

appreciate all replies, especially about being patient and awaiting the right deal. it's not like i'm in dire need of a pair of binoculars. am going to start gifting a few pair this year.

i would like the 10x42's to carry in my vehicle, so if they get stolen i won't lose something irreplaceable, like the Swift 10X50 Audubon's i've been carrying for years.

thanks again for the replies.

Thank you Neil for the informative review, just ordered the SVBONY SV202 8x42 based on your review and others positive comments. Hopefully an enjoyable adjunct to my Opticron SR.GA 8x32 that we have discussed in the past.
Appreciate the heads up!
Don

Hello Don,

Good to hear from you again and thanks for the feedback.

I think you'll enjoy the Svbony. It's a very sweet roof.

An entirely different beast of course to the SR.GA, but variety is the spice of life, or so they tell me.

With best wishes,

Neil.

I came across this bin via the "value sweet spot" thread. What is the best site to buy this in the US? Is it still Aliexpress? They sell them here in Germany on Amazon for 149 which I dont like as they sell them for around 100 in the US.

I took a few comparative images of the SV 202 ED 8 x 42 and the Hawke Frontier EDX 8 x 42 this afternoon under the same lighting conditions. The images are the same file size and are completely unprocessed:

IMG_6417.jpg

The first image in each case is the Svbony SV 202 ED 8 x 42 and the second is the Hawke Frontier EDX 8 x 42:
IMG_6383 (1).JPG
IMG_6394.JPG
IMG_6719.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG

I hope you find the images to be informative!

Kind Regards,

Neil.

Thanks to Neil, I am now well equipped with Svbony SV202 models in 8x32, 8x42, and 10x42. All excellent performers. The angle for law of diminishing returns is just way too shallow to head into higher tiers. All told I paid $310 for all three. I'm simply so satisfied enough with the optical quality, build quality, and feel of these binoculars that I've curtailed my binoculars model exploration.

I got my SV202 8x42 Yesterday. First impression is an excellent pair of binoculars for the price paid. Same experience of quality vs. price that I have with the Svbony SV406P spotting scope.

Last edited:
I just want to put it out there that I am so grateful to you all for these comprehensive review of Svbony. Thanks to a reply to my cry for help from exup I am now confidently heading into my very first purchase of binoculars, having never owned or used any before. They are a christmas gift for the better half; but I will of course benefit too! So I am very much looking forward to seeing his face on christmas day, and then spending some time out on the coastal path putting them through there paces! Hope you guys enjoy the festive season however you spend it and thank you again.

Be interesting to hear a review, double the price but with if they do deliver a flat field they’ll be another bargain. Pity they dont have an 8x30 option as it’s my preferred size.

Peter

Well the new Svbony (SA205 8x42) arrived today. They are more compact than SV202 8x42; focusser is more smooth. But as far as the view is concerned the first impressions under a cloudy sky are not overwhelming.

Well the new Svbony (SA205 8x42) arrived today. They are more compact than SV202 8x42; focusser is more smooth. But as far as the view is concerned the first impressions under a cloudy sky are not overwhelming.
Oh, that is disappointing, given the praise and large following for the SV202s.

When you have a chance to use them more and in varying conditions, it would be good if you could please give some feed back on what you believe is good/less good?

Oh, that is disappointing, given the praise and large following for the SV202s.

When you have a chance to use them more and in varying conditions, it would be good if you could please give some feed back on what you believe is good/less good?
The SA205, compared to SV202:

• considerably less sharp
  • less magnification (8x42 variants)
  • less vivid colours
  • less bright
  • € 73,- more expensive
  • FF barely noticeable

Disappointing indeed!

The SA205, compared to SV202:

• considerably less sharp
  • less magnification (8x42 variants)
  • less vivid colours
  • less bright
  • € 73,- more expensive
  • FF barely noticeable

Disappointing indeed!
Oh dear.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the SA 205 is not a standout bin as hoped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back