• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quicker downloading from camera. (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
Can someone tell me why its quicker to download direct from my 30D rather than from my card reader which is USB2. I only tried the camera download yesterday and its a lot faster. 1 min camera (direct) 5min by cardreader.

That's odd, but not all card readers are created equal, Christine - daft question, but are you sure it's a USB 2 card reader?

If it ain't, it'll only work at USB 1.1 speeds, even if you plug it into a USB 2 port.

I use a (built-in, but that shouldn't matter) USB 2 card reader, and it flies along.

Keith it says underneath that it is USB 2. I have tried it direct in the plug at the back of the machine as well as a seperate powered usb socket but there is no change. When I did the wedding and tried to load a full card of 120 Raw file onto the machine it took an hour. Fortuntaely I had a spare card to use while I waited.

As Keith indicates Christine, not all USB 2.0 devices are equal.

It depends on the chipset in the device, sharing with other USB devices, software overheads ...

Then there are the sales ploys to consider:- "the phrase "USB 2.0" does not necessarily mean 480Mbps of throughput. USB 2.0 now has three different signaling rates: Low Speed (1.5Mbps), Full Speed (12Mbps), and Hi-Speed (480Mbps). The marketing and advertising departments of product manufacturers like to put the words "USB 2.0" on all of their product packages. This can be really deceptive since most consumers will see USB 2.0 and compare it to an older product with the USB 1.1 moniker and think "USB2 must be better than USB 1.1!" Naturally, the consumer is unaware of the difference between "Full Speed" and "High Speed" (this is something akin to the old naming snafu with floppy disks: does "double density" or "high density" hold more?)." From arstechnica.com

Andrew. I have just tested it on another Computer and its still slow.
I did try it in the port that I used to connect the camera directly because I know that one is working at speed but it was slow. I bought the 7-1 reader about 12 months ago for £15 but never even thought about the speed.

Saphire said:
Andrew. I have just tested it on another Computer and its still slow.
I did try it in the port that I used to connect the camera directly because I know that one is working at speed but it was slow. I bought the 7-1 reader about 12 months ago for £15 but never even thought about the speed.
I guess you must have a duff one then Christine. Some of the chipsets inside the readers are better than others.

I've seen some comparisons on the 'net somewhere, I'll have a Google ...

Saphire said:
I have just looked at the instructions it does say it supports HI-speed 480mbps and is downwards compatible.
I checked my slow, cheapo "Hi Speed" logo'ed reader out last night Christine and it's probably using the same chipset as yours :( "Special note: The Alcor Micro AU6368 is most likely the slowest currently used controller" (http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/info-readers.html) - I think that's mine ... yours too?

I used Usbid.exe from How to Identify your Card Reader - it's best run from a CMD box, that way you can copy the output - if you paste or attach it as text here, I'll try to work out the chipset for you.

I have the box in front of me and it doesn't give a makers name but it does give a part No M307G12680 made in Taiwan. I have search the net and see it anywhere.

I can't be device specific on this, Christine as I can't find an exact match.

It looks like our devices are from the same manufacturer (www.alcormicro.com), yours being an earlier chipset and on the original firmware. That suggests that it is almost a prototype ;) for the later models which work, apparently, much faster!

Compare my string:
"USBSTOR 2:
USB\Vid_058f&Pid_6362\058F312D81B Rev_0126"
with yours:
"USBSTOR 2:
USB\Vid_058f&Pid_6360\9203111 Rev_0100"

The "Vid_058f" being the vendor/makers code, "Pid_xxxx" is the device/chipset code and the "Rev_xxxx" is the Firmware revision level.

I think it's time to cut your losses, that device, like mine, is ok for 3Mb cameras using jpegs - you need to find something much faster - firewire may be the way to go? (as USB 2.0 seems to be a minefield to navigate).

Are you using a laptop or desktop? Do you have firewire already?

Hmm, I just found this on their site:
(2002?) Dec Announced AU9360, USB 1.1 multi-slots reader controller chips , supports all the flash types cards in the current market, including Compact Flash (CF) card, Micro Drive (MD), Secure Digital (SD) card, Multimedia Card (MMC), Memory Stick (MS), Smart Media Card (SMC), also adds a selectable slot for NAND type flash to widen the application filed for customers.
(my bold)

Looks like you've been hoodwinked, probably the fault of the OEM makers or the importers of the device, rather than the chipset makers - this device is USB 1.1

Mine, on the other hand, appears to be the first of the USB 2.0 devices from them:
(2003?) Nov Announce AU6362 –USB2.0 9-in-1 Flash Memory Card Reader Control

Alcor Micro Corp History.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Hmm, I just found this on their site:(my bold)

Looks like you've been hoodwinked, probably the fault of the OEM makers or the importers of the device, rather than the chipset makers - this device is USB 1.1

Mine, on the other hand, appears to be the first of the USB 2.0 devices from them:

Alcor Micro Corp History.
This is the box that it came in on the front it has the proper usb2 Logo

Attachments

• File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 156
  • File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I didn't print the box. Christine ;), I'm just interpreting the details we've uncovered - I think it's a USB 1.1 device; all the evidence I've seen points to it.

Maybe your local Trading Standards people would be interested in taking this up?

I think I will pass on taking it to trading standards. It was sometime last year when I got it and I can't remember from where. I have a feeling it was Asda.

Saphire said:
I think I will pass on taking it to trading standards. It was sometime last year when I got it and I can't remember from where. I have a feeling it was Asda.

I saw new card readers All-in-One USB 2.0 (!) are on sale for as low as ca. 4£ (5.90€) ... perhaps that could be a way to save your time ... after having it returned to your dealer ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back