• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Is there a specific location for this, please?

Alan

Hi there

I took the waxwing photos on sat 20th at approx midday in the millemium garden centre of Norton canes there were infact 2 but i only got 1 bad shot of the pair

I have included a photo you can just see the second one in the bottom righthand corner

IMG_0194.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there

I took the waxwing photos on sat 20th at approx midday in the millemium garden centre of Norton canes there were infact 2 but i only got 1 bad shot of the pair

I have included a photo you can just see the second one in the bottom righthand corner

IMG_0194.jpg

Thanks for the directions...you can ignore my post on the other thread...i read that one before this...what is the name of the road the garden centre is on by the way? Many thanks for the photos!

News for the 23rd Feb

2w Iceland & ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost & drake Smew - on Jeffrey's Swag
redhead Smew - Belvide until 13.00 then flew off again.
30 Crossbill - Hanchurch Woods

After the probable Whooper Swan flock at Meir yesterday it came on the pager that 68 of this species had been at Eyebrook Reservoir, Leics until 09.40 yesterday then flew north...obviously a bit of a movement of this species then for the 23rd...:t:

Thanks for the directions...you can ignore my post on the other thread...i read that one before this...what is the name of the road the garden centre is on by the way? Many thanks for the photos!

News for the 23rd Feb

2w Iceland & ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost & drake Smew - on Jeffrey's Swag
redhead Smew - Belvide until 13.00 then flew off again.
30 Crossbill - Hanchurch Woods

After the probable Whooper Swan flock at Meir yesterday it came on the pager that 68 of this species had been at Eyebrook Reservoir, Leics until 09.40 yesterday then flew north...obviously a bit of a movement of this species then for the 23rd...:t:

I saw the pair of waxwings in the centre of norton canes ... we call it Norton square its a triangular peice of land thats been landscaped

Its on the hednesford road & Burntwood road junction if thats any help :t:

News for the 24th Feb

2 Waxwing - seen again briefly at the same site in Norton Canes (no time given) - as per the Chasewater website and also nothing scarce in the Chasewater roost yesterday for the first time in ages...:eek!:

redhead Smew - Belvide until 11.45 & ad Med Gull - in the roost
ad Med & ad Yellow-legged Gull - Branston GP's

Had a quick look today, it is no more than the corner cut through on the junction of the Hendsford and Burntwood Road.

Me and Ian found some on the next junction up some years ago.

There does not seen to be any food available for them here either and besides I felt a little uncomfortable sitting in the motor here due to the close proximity to a school.

A quick check on Chasewater in the rain produced little more than the drake Smew and four Shelduck. It was nice to see and hear ten Meadow Pipits, maybe spring is on the way.

News for the 24th Feb

2 Waxwing - seen again briefly at the same site in Norton Canes (no time given) - as per the Chasewater website and also nothing scarce in the Chasewater roost yesterday for the first time in ages...:eek!:

redhead Smew - Belvide until 11.45 & ad Med Gull - in the roost
ad Med & ad Yellow-legged Gull - Branston GP's

Been away from the birding for many years and just started to get back into it, my local patch is Westport Lake which I always called into for many years in the past, while walking round this afternoon I noticed 2 female Goosanders on the small lake, dont know if this is classed as 'scarce' for here these days but they were very few and far between all those years back.

Been away from the birding for many years and just started to get back into it, my local patch is Westport Lake which I always called into for many years in the past, while walking round this afternoon I noticed 2 female Goosanders on the small lake, dont know if this is classed as 'scarce' for here these days but they were very few and far between all those years back.

Yes they did used to be rare. Since last winter, they have started for some reason to use Westport more frequently. Been present on an almost daily basis since Dec. What era were watching Westport?

Super Glue!!!!!!!

Hey up folks, 21 Goosander at Utch this a'noon.

After this a'noon's near disaster i've got a bit of a tip for you. If you're in a rush to get out don't decide to use super glue on your battered old tripod just before you go, because you might not get the legs down:eek!:. Thankfully after much puffin' and pantin' at Utch i sorted 'er out:t:

Andy.

The waxwings present all day today (many obs). I will try and get there early before the big lens boys!

Nice one Pezza. The pager states them as - 3 at Wilnecote, Tamworth near Shelton Street / Hockley Road roundabout opposite the health centre until 15.55 at least

News for the 26th Feb

3 Smew (1 drake) - Drayton Bassett North Pit

Extra News for the 25th Feb

drake Smew - Chasewater still & ad Med Gull in the roost
2 Smew (1 drake) - Drayton Bassett North Pit

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've just seen the weather forecast for Sunday, which looks like it might produce a few bits and pieces in our region. It is a very deep low pressure system coming up from the bay of Biscay moving up the south and east coast of Britain. Although February isn't the best time of year for this sort of weather pattern, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Kittiwakes in our region, and who knows something else??
It looks like a long day sat in a hide for me tomorrow.

Hi all,

I've just seen the weather forecast for Sunday, which looks like it might produce a few bits and pieces in our region. It is a very deep low pressure system coming up from the bay of Biscay moving up the south and east coast of Britain. Although February isn't the best time of year for this sort of weather pattern, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Kittiwakes in our region, and who knows something else??
It looks like a long day sat in a hide for me tomorrow.

...aye, one or two random seabirds could be on the cards.

Steve

Waxwings

Quick trip over to Tamworth this morning for the Waxwings. 3 still present though being constantly chased of by a pair of Mistle Thrush who are guarding the berries.

Attachments

• Waxwing.jpg
    Waxwing.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 17
Blithfield:

2nd Winter Iceland Gull in a small Gull roost tonight which was continually being disturbed by Pike fishermen. Also 3rd Winter Yellow Leg.

Max

Yes they did used to be rare. Since last winter, they have started for some reason to use Westport more frequently. Been present on an almost daily basis since Dec. What era were watching Westport?

Was down there everyday in the good old 90's, it's certainly changed alot since those days, but it's still good to be back in the area again, hope to see you down there soon

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back