• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare bird news for Florida (1 Viewer)

Thank you for the info. :) I had looked at that list but couldn't see any listings of species being rare. Looking at the PDF list again, there's species with the * symbol next to them that it lists need to be reported to the FOSRC, does that mean that they are the rare birds for florida?

Yes, in a nutshell.

Thick-billed Vireo was seen again today at Matheson Hammock. A Smooth-billed Ani was also seen nr Fort Lauderdale airport in the vicinity of the 800 building in Dania on Old Griffin Rd. Both these species represented John Vanderpoel's 694th and 695th species this year! An incredible achievement and plenty more time for him to climb well over 700 species.

Both the Thick-billed Vireo and Smooth-billed Ani were seen today. See previous posts for further information. The Greater Flamingo, first reported on August 1st, was seen again today from a boat off Snake Bight, in the Everglades National Park.

Last edited:
Is it possible that I just had a white-winged dove in my yard? I left to get my camera and it was gone when I got back.
I live in Lake Worth.

The Thick-billed Vireo continues to be seen at Matheson Hammock today. Kelp Gull and Common Redpoll were accepted onto the Florida state list recently boosting the overall total to 512 species. FOS has therefore updated the state list and it can be found here. If you want to see the review species list for Florida check the box for review and hit apply. Review species are those that are considered so rare they require detailed descriptions and/or photographs for the record to be verified by the Florida Ornithological Society Records Committee.

There are many species that are not review species but are still considered rare enough to be mentioned on this thread or on the Florida Rare Bird Alert listserv.

Last edited:
Is it possible that I just had a white-winged dove in my yard? I left to get my camera and it was gone when I got back.
I live in Lake Worth.

My yard is currently Dove Central for south Florida...so I can confirm indeed there are white winged doves all about. There are two pairs of white winged doves every day in my backyard, from about 2pm to 7pm. There are also several pairs of mourning doves, and one lone collared dove. My sunflower seed piles have really been pulling them in - so many that they are ganging up and kicking out the grackles and blue jays, who normally bully everything else in the backyard. The cardinal families are the only ones who seem to be able to get their share among the doves.

On the 'rare' topic...I don't know how rare it would be considered, but at Gumbo Limbo a friend took a photo of a bird she didn't know, and showed it to me...it was a white-eyed vireo, which I had seen at the same park last year.

My yard is currently Dove Central for south Florida...so I can confirm indeed there are white winged doves all about. There are two pairs of white winged doves every day in my backyard, from about 2pm to 7pm. There are also several pairs of mourning doves, and one lone collared dove. My sunflower seed piles have really been pulling them in - so many that they are ganging up and kicking out the grackles and blue jays, who normally bully everything else in the backyard. The cardinal families are the only ones who seem to be able to get their share among the doves.

On the 'rare' topic...I don't know how rare it would be considered, but at Gumbo Limbo a friend took a photo of a bird she didn't know, and showed it to me...it was a white-eyed vireo, which I had seen at the same park last year.

White-eyed Vireo's are a common breeding species in Florida. Cool bird though!

White-eyed Vireo's are a common breeding species in Florida. Cool bird though!

Yeah, I wasn't sure about it - I've only seen it once or twice, so I guess it's rare FOR ME to see it! I have that happen on a few different birds - I think they must be rare when I make a first-time spotting, only to find it's very common. Happened the first time I saw a European starling years ago...they were just working their way down to Florida, and it looked all exotic to me - then I find out they're actually considered a pest throughout the rest of the US.

yours truly got lucky this morning and found an adult Hudsonian Godwit at St Marks NWR. The bird dropped in at Mounds Pool 3 during a thunderstorm and was still present when I left at 120pm. I also had groups of 53, 18, 3 and 1 of Buff-breasted Sandpiper on MP3 totaling 75 birds, which equaled the state record for a single day count at one site.

Elsewhere in the state a Red-necked Phalarope was seen last Saturday by Tropical Audubon members on a field trip to the shorebird paradise in S. Florida. For directions and a full trip report click here

A Red-necked Phalarope has also been spotted at the Viera Click Ponds recently.

On August 24th an Olive-sided Flycatcher was seen in Gulf Breeze.

Sorry for the belated posts!

a dark morph Swainson's Hawk was seen over Miami Lakes today and an adult Baird's Sandpiper was found on a private sod farm near New Smyrna Beach last night.

Do not forget the incredible numbers of Cerulean Warblers being reported across the state -- much higher than the annual average.

Carlos

Do not forget the incredible numbers of Cerulean Warblers being reported across the state -- much higher than the annual average.

Carlos

the weather has certainly dropped in a lot of Ceruleans lately, which is very welcome as they are normally hard to see and scarce at best throughout the state, particularly in the fall. Hoping to see one tomorrow myself. We get them annually in the fall in Tallahassee but you have to work hard for one. Canada Warblers are another scarce warbler to look out for at this time of year. Thanks for the note Carlos.
Anyone who wants to see a Cerulean should surf the Florida listservs and the Tropical Audubon bird board to see where they are being found.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back