• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Razor HD vs Tract Toric UHD(HT)? (2 Viewers)

Tatanka88

Hungary
Hi!

In the near future I will have the chance to get a bino from the States (for significantly better price than here in Europe), so please help me to choose from the two models:
Vortex Razor HD 10x42 and Tract Toric UHD (HT prism) 10x42!
I've tried the Razor, I love it, but I've read a lot of good things about the Toric. Never had the chance to try one, it's a rare unicorn here in Europe.
How do they compare? How about chromatic aberation? I know, Toric is $300 cheaper, but at this price point I would go for the better glass!

Thanks a lot!

Hi!

In the near future I will have the chance to get a bino from the States (for significantly better price than here in Europe), so please help me to choose from the two models:
Vortex Razor HD 10x42 and Tract Toric UHD (HT prism) 10x42!
I've tried the Razor, I love it, but I've read a lot of good things about the Toric. Never had the chance to try one, it's a rare unicorn here in Europe.
How do they compare? How about chromatic aberation? I know, Toric is $300 cheaper, but at this price point I would go for the better glass!

Thanks a lot!
Razor, Viper (2018 version) then the TT, in that order. The Razor and Viper are very close that’s why the Viper would be my choice, best bang for the buck. And Vortex service is phenomenal. You could throw that viper against a brick wall then use it to beat your dog (god forbid) and Vortex will swap it out and give you a new one. 😜.

And Vortex service is phenomenal. You could throw that viper against a brick wall then use it to beat your dog (god forbid) and Vortex will swap it out and give you a new one. 😜.
Is this true in Europe if purchased in the US? I would be careful as this is often not the case when taken products are taken out of their home market.

Is this true in Europe if purchased in the US? I would be careful as this is often not the case when taken products are taken out of their home market.
It does appear that the Vortex warranty is world wide.

Attachments

• 8BF49D2C-1E76-46FF-93FB-61FD05739356.jpeg
    8BF49D2C-1E76-46FF-93FB-61FD05739356.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 7
We have a Vortex retailer here, they handle the warranty issues, I've spoken with Vortex about this.
No matter, where you live or use your scope, you are covered with warranty, which is common with every manufacturer, never heard about geographycal restriction, but it's your duty to bring your optics to them or to one of their retailers.
This morning I've contacted Tract, and as you can guess, since Tract does not work with retailers, but sells directly, I would have to send back the binos to them to Pennsylvania, and probably cover the sending back to Hungary, this would cost me over $100, if I can't find someone, who travels regularly between Hungary and the States.
Well, this simplifies the choice, but I'm still curious, how do the Razor HD and Toric UHD compare...
(we all know, this HD and UHD acronyms are marketing bullshit, not a standard, which could help in comparison)

ps.: Razor UHD is not an option, my financial limit is 1K, and I'm looking for a smaller, relatively light scope, since I'm hiking 20+ miles with it in on my chest!
Viper HD is too dark, I have experience with it.

We have a Vortex retailer here, they handle the warranty issues, I've spoken with Vortex about this.
No matter, where you live or use your scope, you are covered with warranty, which is common with every manufacturer, never heard about geographycal restriction, but it's your duty to bring your optics to them or to one of their retailers.
This morning I've contacted Tract, and as you can guess, since Tract does not work with retailers, but sells directly, I would have to send back the binos to them to Pennsylvania, and probably cover the sending back to Hungary, this would cost me over $100, if I can't find someone, who travels regularly between Hungary and the States.
Well, this simplifies the choice, but I'm still curious, how do the Razor HD and Toric UHD compare...
(we all know, this HD and UHD acronyms are marketing bullshit, not a standard, which could help in comparison)

ps.: Razor UHD is not an option, my financial limit is 1K, and I'm looking for a smaller, relatively light scope, since I'm hiking 20+ miles with it in on my chest!
Hmm, I had the Viper and Razor HD’s side by side and I thought they were adequately bright for the price points and just barely noticeable any brightness difference. If the Viper seems too Carl, then the Razor and certainly the Toric would both be non starters. Consider the Conquest, maybe the MHG, very light, but not sure they’re any brighter than the Razor, I’d have to put those two together one day.

There’s also the Leica Trinovid HD, and the Meopta Meostar as other options. I think they’re all about the same optically ,give or take in one area or another when it comes to the $1000 price point. They’re all very good , and it will come down to which one feels the best in your hands.

Good luck.

I believe Leica USA has a slightly different warranty approach when bought overseas. They won’t offer the no fault damage coverage if bought outside the US. They’ll cover defects and small repairs for the whole warranty period though.

Paul

@iseegeorgesstar
Hi!
For logistical reasons, and because there was a huge discount in a european shop just before my birthday, I ended up gifting myself with the Razor HD.
All in all, it's not perfect, but it meets most of my needs, I love the ergonomics, the close focus, it's pretty bright, but it's not the sharpest, and has some CA in certain conditions.
Build quality is very nice, both externally and internally!
I can't say I haven't seen better quality optics (had the chance to try a Swaro EL), but it costs twice as much. (**.)
Have compared it to other 10x42s in the same price range, a Monarch HG and Opticron Aurora BGA VHD, and I think the Vortex beats them.
I've also gained experience with their customer service, and they are awesome, cool guys, they did me a huge favor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back