• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-tailed hawks perch next to each-other (1 Viewer)

Mila

Two red-tailed haws have been perching next to each-other on the same branch for months. They do not do it every day, but on the days they do they come to the same brach and spend lots of time there. I mean they are flying off but come back all the time during those days. Sometimes they perch on this very tree but in different places. In those cases they never sit close to each-other. I filmed a few videos and some time-lapses (below). Has somebody observed a similar behavior?

Two red-tailed haws have been perching next to each-other on the same branch for months. They do not do it every day, but on the days they do they come to the same brach and spend lots of time there. I mean they are flying off but come back all the time during those days. Sometimes they perch on this very tree but in different places. In those cases they never sit close to each-other. I filmed a few videos and some time-lapses (below). Has somebody observed a similar behavior?
I see a pair of North American Bald Eagles perching together the same time every year in the same tree, I can only assume that they are mates, wonder if the same goes for Those hawks?

Thanks for the info!
They might be mates.
However, even mates red-tailed do not perch together for such a long time outside mating season.
Also interesting that this behavior occurs not every day. Sometimes I do not see them at all for a few weeks.
What about your eagles? What months they perch together?

Thanks for the info!
They might be mates.
However, even mates red-tailed do not perch together for such a long time outside mating season.
Also interesting that this behavior occurs not every day. Sometimes I do not see them at all for a few weeks.
What about your eagles? What months they perch together?
This past sighting of the these 2 Bald Eagles perching together in my area was late winter, but I believe the previous year was mid-winter, because the lake was still frozen hard.

Could you please tell me, if they sit almost touching each other like my hawks do or they sit close but on some distance. Also could you please tell me for many days they perch together? Do you have a picture? The last time I observed my hawks together was 5 days ago.

They do look like a pair - the smaller bird on the right being the male. If you can find a good viewpoint over the area, this might be the right time of the year to see them doing display/courtship flights. You may need a bit of patience but it should be worth the trouble!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back