• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request help with Thrush id , North Carolina live feeder cam on youtube (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I was watching the above, and not being familiar with North American birds, couldn't ascertain the species. I am torn between Wood Thrush and Hermit Thrush. I feel sure someone will be able to advise. Thank you.

Hermit thrush - tail redder than head.

It does have a remarkably bright black-and-white breast, reminiscent of wood thrush (but within normal variation for hermit). In wood thrush this would extend lower, and farther onto the flanks.

Hermit thrush - tail redder than head.

It does have a remarkably bright black-and-white breast, reminiscent of wood thrush (but within normal variation for hermit). In wood thrush this would extend lower, and farther onto the flanks.
Thank you so much. I wasn't aware Hermit Thrush visits feeders.

It's not a common feeder bird at all. Might be slightly more likely this time of year, as migration may make them hungry.
Thank you for letting me know. I hope to travel to North America some day and if I do, Hermit Thrush is a species I would really like to see.

They're not hard to find in their summer range, though they are somewhat hard to photograph. They like relatively open spots in woods, so you'll often see them foraging in the middle of a hiking trail. Your best chances will be in pine or fir forests, simply because you can see farther. They have a habit of flying just out of camera range if you try to approach.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back