• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Resolution vs Sharpness (6 Viewers)

OK Bill - I believe ya .... but only just ! :cat:

Like Renze, if I place fingers over the central curving to hinge illusion part, I visually still notice a slight difference in the shades of the plates (no doubt due to the bright plain blue 'sky' ;) and the mottled 'ground' .............. so, .............

I scienced the sh*t out of it ! :-O

I screenshotted the pic, then,
I made a copy and rotated that copy upsidedown, and then,
I made a collage of the two - cropping out the background, and then and then,
I blacked out the central illusion part .........

Leaving ........

Two horizontal strips of grey - consistent in shade top to bottom and side to side :t: So OK :t: Recommend the doubting Thomases try something similar ...... :brains:

BUT ---- I can still see a slight 'green ham' warm side colour cast to the Zeiss SF !! fer schizzle !!! o:D (my eyes are probably trained in colour nuance more than most though :) :cat:

Chosun :gh:

All may believe as they choose, barring any input from psychology or computer monitor settings. However, on my late model iMac and they are the same to me AND the Ph.D. (Ed Adelson) who “thunk” it up at MIT to prove the same point. Binocular forums are great places to split hairs with an ax. Fortunately, I have grown callous to being told I am wrong. I have learned from years of being on binocular forums that having been in the optical industry for decades can’t hold a candle to someone with 2 or 3 posts to his credit, has no credentials or experience in optics, but has a need to be seen by the group as an expert.

I realize NONE of that is in play, here!!! Even so, I am prepared. In addition, I have only encountered that personality once on BF. For the bino nerd, this a pretty good place to be.

I DO hope those who have paid attention to this exercise will at least give the graphic credit for illustrating what they never would have suspected. As for me, I will just stand behind my original post. And, as Andy points out, the other stimuli matters.

Attached, are the Adelson graphics that caused me to squawk. Yes, I am not immune. However, I do my research. You might try putting "Optical Illusion, Adelson" into your browser. Once there, you will get the data behind the illusion. I tried to copy the URL, but only got that 404 Error stuff. For those interested in how we can misinterpret what we THINK we see, it's a real keeper. Those who already know more than Dr. Adelson will just be bored.

"The first principle is to not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." — Dr. Richard Feynman

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 11.58.23 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 11.58.23 AM.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 11.57.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 11.57.40 AM.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Lee,

Thanks for lightening the mood with (ham-green) which to me would mean lost it's freshness?, that was funny.

Andy W.

Pileatus,

On this forum, it is never over or resolved.

Andy W.

All may believe as they choose, barring any input from psychology or computer monitor settings. However, on my late model iMac and they are the same to me AND the Ph.D. (Ed Adelson) who “thunk” it up at MIT to prove the same point. Binocular forums are great places to split hairs with an ax. Fortunately, I have grown callous to being told I am wrong. I have learned from years of being on binocular forums that having been in the optical industry for decades can’t hold a candle to someone with 2 or 3 posts to his credit, has no credentials or experience in optics, but has a need to be seen by the group as an expert.

I realize NONE of that is in play, here!!! Even so, I am prepared. In addition, I have only encountered that personality once on BF. For the bino nerd, this a pretty good place to be.

I DO hope those who have paid attention to this exercise will at least give the graphic credit for illustrating what they never would have suspected. As for me, I will just stand behind my original post. And, as Andy points out, the other stimuli matters.

Attached, are the Adelson graphics that caused me to squawk. Yes, I am not immune. However, I do my research. You might try putting "Optical Illusion, Adelson" into your browser. Once there, you will get the data behind the illusion. I tried to copy the URL, but only got that 404 Error stuff. For those interested in how we can misinterpret what we THINK we see, it's a real keeper. Those who already know more than Dr. Adelson will just be bored.

"The first principle is to not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." — Dr. Richard Feynman

Bill
Lol ! :-O Yes Bill - congrats to your "thunking" PhD at MIT - it's a very effective demonstration, and there are multiple elements at work ..... it does give me a chuckle how this gets 'discovered' by several posters after I mentioned it - but whatever ! :-O (who wants to read, listen and learn when they can post ! .... perhaps there's something to this subliminal bizzo after all !) :-O

I was quite impressed by the low tech way that pbjosh 'scienced the sh*t' out of the situation - two holes cut in a piece of paper :t: something any primary school student with safety scissors and on up should be able to manage ! ......... there's hope for the forum yet :)

It's amazing just what the brain constructs to the optical image ...... when puzzling over the Adelson image, I could almost swear I saw a gorilla dance across the background ! 8-P

Lol ! :-O Yes Bill - congrats to your "thunking" PhD at MIT - it's a very effective demonstration, and there are multiple elements at work ..... it does give me a chuckle how this gets 'discovered' by several posters after I mentioned it - but whatever ! :-O (who wants to read, listen and learn when they can post ! .... perhaps there's something to this subliminal bizzo after all !) :-O

I was quite impressed by the low tech way that pbjosh 'scienced the sh*t' out of the situation - two holes cut in a piece of paper :t: something any primary school student with safety scissors and on up should be able to manage ! ......... there's hope for the forum yet :)

It's amazing just what the brain constructs to the optical image ...... when puzzling over the Adelson image, I could almost swear I saw a gorilla dance across the background ! 8-P

You silly goose. Don't you know the difference between a gorilla and a bear?

Question for you: What's the difference between an elephant and a loaf of bread? :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back