• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return migration already!! (2 Viewers)

On which topic, I've had several Reed Warblers new in at various local sites from early to late June, where there hadn't been any through May.

Probably just Marsh Warblers then ... ;)

On the topic of 'are birds returning or still arriving', reading the daily reports from PBO (other bird observatories may also exist) is always interesting as they try to ascertain the origin of odd birds turning up around this time of year.

I was up on the North Yorkshire moors last week and was surprised at how many waders have left there breeding grounds, only 3-4 wks before at the same location it was wicked in waders, last week I spotted only 1 Lapwing, 1 Curlew and 1 Golden Plover with 3 fledglings and not many Meadow pipits either, however still finding nests with eggs (BTO, NRS) in and not even from multi-brooded birds.

Damian.

Whimbrel and Black Tailed Godwit back at Conwy RSPB. I used to think that the first "autumn" birds there were the handful of Redshank, perhaps failed breeders, that arrived at the end of May. In good years the tail end of the Spring Whimbrel would last into the beginning of June.
Some easterlies are making their way to us from the Baltic, perhaps still too early for anything like Barred Warblers etc but something drifting across after all that high pressure would be nice, good time of year for P G Plover. Red Necked Stint would make me happy, couldn't get off work for the last one. :t:

First southbound Rufous Hummingbird arrived at our field site in southwestern Colorado the other day. Right on time! (around Independence Day)

Mediterranean Gull numbers are starting to build on the Wirral and the first returning Black-tailed Godwit and Green Sand appeared in the field at the back of the house yesterday, along with 2 Dunlin. The gull / Tern flock numbers are starting to rise on the shore and there are lots of juvenile Black-headed Gull around.

Last edited:
I saw a wheatear on fri the 25th of july in the new forest,one also reported today on the forest.

Steve.

Wish we had wheatears in a forest :) LOL
(but we do have some Feral Pigeons that nonchalantly walk down the paths in our local forest, the same way they do downtown among the tall buildings as "canyons")

In any case so far I have only seen Common Sandpipers at the riverbank. This year the water level is higher so there is no exposed sandbank within the riverbed, so no ochropus nor totanus like last year. Regarding the forest birds, song is gradually stopping, just one blackcap and one blackbird feebly singing today. Flocks of flycatchers and warblers are not here yet.

Lots of wader movement through Paderborn area, Germany last week, haven't been out today.
Anyone know/guess how the fires that Maroon Jay is experiencing in Northen Canada will affect migration over there?

First drift migrants started to arrive the last couple of days - Greenish Warbler and Barred Warbler on Shetland, Melodious Warblers on Scilly and in Dorset;

CB

In what might appear a contentious view, isn't the title of the thread exactly wrong?

Migration at this time of year in the northern hemisphere is outward migration (in which this year's birds are heading outward to their winter quarters on their first-ever migration), whereas that in spring is return migration (in the sense that birds are making their first or subsequent return to their breeding grounds). I cite Peter Berthold's book, 'Bird Migration, a general survey, 2nd edn (2001) for the definition..., and I rest my case, m'lud!
MJB:t:

Quite a few Tree Pipits + Redstarts recorded at various sites in the London area as well as the odd Wheatear + Spotted Flycatcher over the last few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back