• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (3 Viewers)

Using the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket as one's primary birding binocular is a topic that has been considered from time to time on this thread. For me, the Zeiss 8x25 Victory is the only pocket bin that performs well enough to use for most types of birding (but note that I've not yet tried the Swarovski 7x21 Curio) and I've long been convinced of its all-around capability (optical quality, ease of view, intuitive and comfortable handling properties) even for serious birding under a wide range of conditions. Nevertheless, I prefer to use full-sized 8.5x42 bins for birding whenever feasible (which, for me, is most of the time). For travel or when mixing birding with other activities, I use smaller bins for their smaller size in the pack or around the neck. In the past, I've always chosen a compact 8x32 when I needed a small but (nearly) no-compromises birding bin for travel. However, recently, for a family trip to Puerto Rico, I gathered my courage and committed to using the Zeiss 8x25 Victory instead. Even though the object of the trip was not primarily birding, this was the first time (since purchasing it in 2018) that I chose it for such a high-stakes situation. It turned out to be an excellent choice. The Zeiss 8x25 Victory is certainly not as robust as my usual travel bins (e.g. Leica 8x32 BA Ultravid, Zeiss 8x32 FL), but since it is so small and light, I was able to keep it comfortably (relatively high on my chest) around my neck (nearly) all day every day, during all activities (apart from snorkeling!), where it was safe (again, relatively high on my chest or tucked behind a shoulder) and very handy for viewing birds, butterflies, anoles, iguanas, crabs, flowers, street signs, museum objects, etc. A compact 8x32 probably would have worked just as well overall, but I would have been tucking it into a hip pack more frequently and thus fiddling with it more (Nothing wrong with that, but having a bin always around my neck was a refreshing change from my usual juggling routine). I didn't use ocular or objective caps, but the lenses, with their Lotutec coatings, stayed reasonably clean through the whole adventure without any intervention. Maybe the occasional rain shower helped.

As I noted above, the trip wasn't primarily devoted to birding, so even when I was trying to see birds, I always had my non-birding family in tow. We were on comfortable trails (rather than busting through brush), always looking at other things, and were generally active during normal daylight hours (rarely at dawn or dusk), so I have to admit that the conditions were not particularly demanding. Lighting was always reasonable, whether in open situations or forest. I have always found that the Zeiss 8x25 Victory does very well against the light (looking into bright sky or forest canopy, or for scrutinizing silhouettes) and the resolution of my view always seemed more limited by my eyes or atmospherics than its tiny optics, so I never felt like I needed something bigger. Along those lines, I'm glad I didn't bother taking my Nikon 27x50ED Fieldscope, which I might have deployed only once or twice if I'd had it along. Over the course of the trip, I managed to tally about 80 species including 17 of the 19 Puerto Rican endemics (I missed the PR "Tanager" and didn't even try for the nightjar).

--AP

Last edited:
I used the Zeiss Conquest 8x30 and the Conquest HD 8x32 for a long time and I was always happy with those binoculars. I got the HD after I send my Conquest for a service to Zeiss and they gave me the HD, during this time a new bino, for the price of the service for the old Conquest. So they made me as well a fan of their service.
My Conquests really endured a lot - this are really sturdy binos - there where companions during all of my trips where ever I went to. They stood sweat, Heat, freezing, bumps, etc.
Now I bougth a Victory pocket 8x25. I thought it would be nice to have a ligther bino for things like hiking etc.. And now - suddenly I think that rolling ball effect, that I got used to ignore in the HD, is a flaw of the HD. I have started to use my 8x25 as my primary bino.This pocket victory is realy so good. It is such a pleasure to look trough it. And now I am catching myself thinking about to buy a SF 10x42 as a addition ...
Of course the x32 is better in low light conditions and it has a greater FOV. But under normal conditions the 8x25's smaller AP is not a problem.
After a few minutes I got used to the different handling and the narrower FOV does not bohter me.

Last edited:
As my first post on this forum I wanted to chime in on the VP 8x25 which I bought recently.

I have been interested in quality binoculars for many years since being introduced to Swarovski about 30 years ago by a friend who worked in a camera shop. I have used an Opticron 8x42 and my father's old Zeiss 8x30 Porro since then. Recently I decided to get a top quality compact for travel and just having with me more easily. I had a look at the x20s from the top three many years ago and found them too difficult to use for a pleasurable viewing experience, despite being well designed and technically very good. I read so many good reports on the VP 8x25 that I had to give them a go. I compared them against the Swaro CL 8x30 and the latest Opticron Aurora 8x42 which are both respected and at a slightly higher price point. I was expecting the Swaro to beat it because of their reputation and wider objective lenses. I was however surprised. The Opticron had a lovely bright view almost free of CA, though the demo one had a stiff and rough focus wheel which I could not have accepted in actual use. The Swaro was a lovely package and nice enough optically but not as good as I expected e.g. CA was present even in the centre of the field. The VP was superb; brighter than I expected (not far off the Swaro), almost no CA - certainly less than the other two - and also plenty of contrast and detail with a neutral colour balance as far as I could tell. The field was also wider and brighter than I could have expected from such a small device. I'm not sure exactly what 'Alpha' means when referring to bins but I suspect something like this.

I wear glasses and like this the VP worked easily with eyecups left in, but I often prefer to use bins without and so I had to extend the eyecups and find a brace position on the eye sockets. This worked OK but I can see some people finding it fiddly. However, the rubber eyecups I added to the old Zeiss porros fitted perfectly and like that with the VP eyecups pushed back in I got the ideal eye position (i.e. seeing the full field but no blackouts) and with the added advantage of no stray light entering near the eye. With these eyecups the VPs are excellent and for those who complain about using it without glasses I highly recommend this solution as it adds very little weight or size (or cost ~£5) and certainly makes using them easier as well as providing a subjectively better view.

Now I need to find some objective covers (apparently some of the Opticron ones work very well though I haven't been able to work out exactly which ones yet) and a belt pouch that protects as well as taking the strap and rubber eyecups with the bins folded.

I have not had them long but last night watched a blackbird singing in a nearby tree at dusk and could see more colour and detail with the VP than with my old Opticron 8x42. This is amazing when you consider how much more light the 8x42 had to work with. I have not yet found anything to criticise with the view except perhaps that you need to be more careful to get the IPD correct than with a larger bin and there is sometimes a sense of semi-blackout if you look to the edge of the field in low light conditions unless your pupils are perfectly centred. Rubber eyecups do help keep the pupils in a consistent position though. From the point of view of performance they are superb and a big surprise. In terms of handling the focus wheel works smoothly and is geared well and the build quality is very nice except for one thing; I do not like the diopter adjustment which seems a bit cheap and is fiddly to use. I hope it is stronger than it looks.

Last edited:
@hopster,

Some pics below of the case I use with the VP and the Opticron compact rainguard which I trim down as shown on smaller pocket models. Opticron also make objective covers which fit the VP but I don't recall which model number. Got the case from a UK vendor, made by GEM. Made for small cameras it's a perfect fit for a fully accessorized VP either folded or adjusted for my IP. Belt loop, shoulder strap and a separate front zipper pocket for a complete grab and go package.

About the diopter, IME it's best to use a case in the field with enough room to easily remove and replace the VP set at your proper IPD. I think some of the unintentional diopter shifting and knob popping off are caused by quickly removing/replacing the VP in a tight fitting case with the bins carried full folded. When set to IP rather than folded the diopter knob is more protected. Never had a problem with it in @ 4+ years of regular use.

No affiliation and glad you are enjoying your VP.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
However, the rubber eyecups I added to the old Zeiss porros fitted perfectly and like that with the VP eyecups pushed back in I got the ideal eye position (i.e. seeing the full field but no blackouts) and with the added advantage of no stray light entering near the eye. With these eyecups the VPs are excellent and for those who complain about using it without glasses I highly recommend this solution as it adds very little weight or size (or cost ~£5) and certainly makes using them easier as well as providing a subjectively better view.
Would you mind sharing what you added on? I recently got some but can't get along with them because the eyecups are just too short.

Would you mind sharing what you added on? I recently got some but can't get along with them because the eyecups are just too short.

I'll try to find where I bought them on eBay or Amazon and provide a link. They are just cheap rubber (slightly winged) eyecups from China and from memory were described as 32mm internal diameter? Although they were measured to fit the Zeiss porros they were a tight fit. Funnily enough, they are a pretty well ideal 'loose but sticky' interference fit on the VPs. I just took them along when demoing them and was lucky. Leave the VP eyecups locked in though otherwise you'll be too far away.

I believe it was these in 2021 but they were a lot cheaper then than now by the look of it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MQXLXRT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About the diopter, IME it's best to use a case in the field with enough room to easily remove and replace the VP set at your proper IPD. I think some of the unintentional diopter shifting and knob popping off are caused by quickly removing/replacing the VP in a tight fitting case with the bins carried full folded. When set to IP rather than folded the diopter knob is more protected. Never had a problem with it in @ 4+ years of regular use.

I'm sure this is true.

M

Adding to the chorus singing the VP8x25 praise.

Looking for a small 8x30-ish bino to replace the FL 8x32 I had - once loved, but, did not work too well for me in the long run with glasses.

Was hoping for the SFL 8x30. It was not a good viewing experience for me and not a replacement for the 8x32FL.
Had a look at the Conquest HD 8x32 which was surprisingly good, except for a crappy focuser. However the Conquest HD is heavier than the SFL 8x40 which defeats the purpose of being a sidekick to the SFL 8x40.

Having owned the VP8x25 years ago - and perhaps not fully appreciating it since I did not wear glasses at the time - I revisited it and found out it works better than all the other options I had initially looked at.

Not mentioned are a slew of other brands in the midsize to compact segment that I have looked through.

Turned out the one I once/already had was the best and most cost effective solution… …I now find the VP8x25 a viable replacement to the 8x32FL that I held on to for lack of a better sidekick. It is much less of a compromise than I had originally thought and the hinge solution and ”bright” optics makes it the smallest, fairly pocketable bino with a ”midsized view”. :)

Looking for a small 8x30-ish bino to replace the FL 8x32 I had - once loved, but, did not work too well for me in the long run with glasses.

Was hoping for the SFL 8x30. It was not a good viewing experience for me and not a replacement for the 8x32FL.
I'm curious why the SFL 8x30 has not worked for you. I have had mine now for a few months, and I can't imagine that a 8x25 VP could possibly be better. I'm also needing glasses while observing, and my glasses are even a bit thicker on one side as they have built-in prisms. And compared to these SFL 8x30s, my FL 8x32 really falls off in several respects now (slightly duller, smaller FOV). Their only plus is a somewhat softer focus. If it had not been for the weight and size priority, I'd have chosen the SFL 8x40s, but I can always switch to my 8x42 FLs that I still love a lot as well.

I would hope to able to explain it too. Excessive eye relief? If there is such a thing? Fidgety IPD setting in combination with the eye relief?

I kept pulling out the back ocular and when the black outs receded all that was left was some narrow tunnel vision and very little wiggle room.
The view was far from great. IPD in combination with eye relief was very restrictive to me. And I never found an "easy" position. It was the third time behind the SFL8x30 that convinced me that the eye box was not for me.

Going between the Conquest HD 8x32 - which was super easy to position and use and then to the SFL 8x30 was quite a let down. It is not often I find a binocular that really does not work "ok" for me. Conquest HD was excellent, the VP 8x25 as well. The SFL 8x40 too.

I guess the eye relief of the VP 8x25 just fits me perfectly with the eye cups down (up a mm from the down position) and the IPD setting is very generous so I have plenty of wiggle room. It is also just about the only bino I can use with the same setting both with and without glasses on. Not that I use them without glasses, but I noticed the view was essentially the same with/without glasses which was a bonus as well.

EDIT: I have been struggling some with the FL8x32 with glasses, same as you, as you know. From time to time it seemed "ok" but after comparing to the SFL8x40/Conquest HD8x32 I realized the 8x32FL really does not do it for me. The VP8x25 does a lot better in terms of eye relief and eye positioning compared to both the SFL8x30 and the FL8x32. I am thinking maybe some people will have the opposite experience and perhaps we are just the opposite ends of facial features. My IPD setting is quite narrow and I usually like binos with the eye cups all the way down.

Last edited:
Based on the posts above I pulled the trigger and purchased the Zeiss Victory 8x25s for hiking. I had been using an old pair of Zeiss 8x30Bs Poros for this purpose. I like the vintage Zeiss but was longing for improved coatings of a modern bino. All I can say is thank you guys, you did not disappoint.

This is the first pair of mini binoculars I’ve owned that doesn’t feel like a compromise to full size models. The strap doesn’t bother me as it did some others, but I tend to like my straps short and generally use the small loops and plastic connectors to quickly remove the strap as a matter of course. I did add tethered lens caps to both ends but I do that for all my optics. I generally use the Swarovski bino-guard cover for the oculars as it drops out of the way as you bring the binoculars to your eyes, but these binos are much too small. I do wish more companies made this style of protective cover, I find it excellent. In all, I found the little Victory’s to be everything you described and couldn’t be more pleased with the recommendation!

I tried this too with my NL Pure, but then my nose is pushing the cover. Doesn't that bother you?
Truthfully, I hadn’t noticed this. It may be that the lugs are in different locations and it’s more of a factor on your NLs.

Last edited:
I have, and the difference is less than you might think except that the CL 8x30 has more CA which I find annoying - especially at twice the price and weight.
Which version of the CL 8x30 were you comparing it with? The old or the new?? I think that the new version pretty good in respect to CA.

Which version of the CL 8x30 were you comparing it with? The old or the new?? I think that the new version pretty good in respect to CA.

The new version, just about a month ago in a shop and I was able to take plenty of time to compare. The CL was also noticeably worse than an Opticron Aurora 8x42 on CA compared back-to-back. I was surprised as I am used to Swaros being excellent on this issue. But I have realised that the Zeiss VP and the Opticron are both excellent binoculars so the bar was set quite high.

I’ve given up on my Zeiss VP 8x25
I got a Leica Trinovid 8x20, and find it ticks all the boxes for pocketable casual daytime viewing:

The Leica wins on ergos.
LEICA:
  • Truly pocketable. So light I don’t even notice it’s in the sidepocket of my painting bag.
  • Heavily armored.
  • Diopter can be set precisely and doesn’t move.
  • Good color.
  • not at all as sharp as the Zeiss.
  • pleasant view
The Zeiss wins on optics.
ZEISS
  • Very very sharp.
  • Tiring to use.
  • For some reason the diopter is fiddly
  • Not quite a pocket instrument
  • A bit fragile with its exposed focus knob as some forum members found out

In the end the Zeiss almost delivers on the promise of a pocket rocket, the optical quality is astonishing , but for my usage viewing comfort and instrument robustness are not optimal. I hope Zeiss will one day redesign this instrument’s casing and diopter, maybe just go for a classic central hinge design. In other words, if they made a Conquest armored version with the same optics I think it would be a winner.

Edmund

Last edited:
Zeiss needs to put the optics of their 8x25 Victory into a x30 format. They will get my money instantly!!!

CG

So - for those that have shared this sentiment: now that the 8x30 SFL is out, have you given Zeiss your money?

For those that have compared them - are the 8x25 VP and the 8x30 SFL essentially twins?
(Their specs seem to indicate they could be)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back