• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

riefferi / riefferii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

In HBW Alive is written about riefferi / riefferii.

Gabriel Rieffer (fl. 1840) French explorer, collector in tropical America (syn. Amazilia tzacatl, Chlorornis, Pipreola).

This seems to be from Diccionario de los nombres de las aves de Colombia: origen y uso from Alejandro Farieta.

I am personally not convinced that it is the real first name. What is the source of his first name? I really searched a lot and found that he sent or collected specimen in Santa-Fé de Bogota or Fusugagua but I could not find any evidence about his first name. Anyone here who knows more?

As a collector he is mentioned e.g here from 1843 or here here from Fusugagua or here or here as Reiffer 1844 Bogota or here etc pp. Maybe anyone can tell me a secure source that his name was Gabriel? Maybe Muséum national d’histoire naturelle have bills of his deliveries? He is still a mystery for me.

Last edited:
I think your´re looking for a Dutch Mr. Riéffer, who travelled in South America during the 1830's and -40's … maybe Justin knows more?

Good luck in finding him!

I am more and more convinced that Dr. Gabriel Rieffer is in fact Gabriel Riesser in old Fraktur script where s looks like f. This does not mean the dedication is to him.

I only know the 'French' traveller Reiffer who collected - in special - hummingbirds near Bogota, Colombia 1843-1845 and birds ended up in MNHN, Strasbourg and in Leiden (the latter due to exchanges between Temminck and the museum). Loads arrived in July 1841, June 1843 and in 1846 (unknown is their size to me). There are no specific bills, as i'm aware off in the MNHN, the documentation is rather sloppy up to roughly 1856.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back