• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (8 Viewers)

Yes, Ospreys are only here in the summer, but they don't, yet. breed at the park. They likely go and fish in the Tay though.

There are some good spots to watch Ospreys in the area, if you let us know where you'll be staying we could point you in the right direction. Would you have a car, for instance?

Kinnordy, Balgavies, Montrose Basin, for just three. You can find out more about these places HERE in Opus.

Although Ospreys can be seen from the park, they aren't in any way a regular sighting (as yet), though this could change.

As Delia says there are easier places to see them relatively locally - via public transport the easiest (and also the closest to Dundee) would be the Eden Estuary - buses every 10/15 minutes to St Andrews, either from Out Head looking back into Balgove Bay, or from the hide at Guardbridge, though they are far from guaranteed - check the distant wooden poles out in the estuary (White Tailed Eagles also can be sometimes seen perched on these). July to mid-September are probably the best times, though they show up from late March.

Balgavies Loch is probably the one guaranteed place (if they nest again next year) with better views than you get at either Loch of the Lowes or Loch Garten to be had from the hide. Kinnordy gets regular fishing birds, sometimes more than one. Montrose Basin does get them regularly but as it is such a large open area they would be easy to miss. I've seen them fairly often from Forfar Loch too. I'd put Riverside Nature Park behind all of the above for having a chance of seeing one.

Pretty much any large-ish body of water in Angus and north Fife will give you a chance of an Osprey sighting at some point, though the above are the better options.

Thanks all for the advice. I would probably have a car although if I could get a cheap train fare from London we might go by train. I just checked and for my wife, myself and our son if we book in advance it will be £252.50 which seems expensive although may not much than the petrol. If we had a bigger family of course driving would be a no brainer.

Although Ospreys can be seen from the park, they aren't in any way a regular sighting (as yet), though this could change.

As Delia says there are easier places to see them relatively locally - via public transport the easiest (and also the closest to Dundee) would be the Eden Estuary - buses every 10/15 minutes to St Andrews, either from Out Head looking back into Balgove Bay, or from the hide at Guardbridge, though they are far from guaranteed - check the distant wooden poles out in the estuary (White Tailed Eagles also can be sometimes seen perched on these). July to mid-September are probably the best times, though they show up from late March.

Balgavies Loch is probably the one guaranteed place (if they nest again next year) with better views than you get at either Loch of the Lowes or Loch Garten to be had from the hide. Kinnordy gets regular fishing birds, sometimes more than one. Montrose Basin does get them regularly but as it is such a large open area they would be easy to miss. I've seen them fairly often from Forfar Loch too. I'd put Riverside Nature Park behind all of the above for having a chance of seeing one.

Pretty much any large-ish body of water in Angus and north Fife will give you a chance of an Osprey sighting at some point, though the above are the better options.

Thanks for that, where else is good for wildlife in Dundee and I might not have a car? My cousin is near the university

Last edited:
A lot depends on time of day/time of year, even to a degree, time of the week. A walk along the waterfront from the Stannergate to Broughty Ferry to Monifieth and Barry Buddon can be good for waders etc, plus there's a chance of dolphins and seals offshore in the Tay too. Red Squirrels are common in Camperdown Park and there can be a reasonable mix of bird species there. Templeton Woods and Clatto reservoir add a few more possibilities, as do other parks in the city, such as Balgay Park and Caird Park. Grey Heron, Kingfisher and Dipper along with Moorhens and Mallards (sometimes Goosander) can be seen on the Dighty Burn that cuts along the northern part of the city. Roe Deer can turn up anywhere. Red Deer are in the glens and Fallow Deer can be seen around Dunkeld (not too far away). Mountain Hares can be seen in the glens and Brown Hares can show up anywhere (the dunes at St Andrews have been where I've had some good close encounters with them.

Beyond the city within an hour's travel time on bus/train you have the Eden estuary between Guardbridge and St Andrews. Morton Lochs, Tentsmuir Forest and Kinshaldy Beach. The Tay reedbeds are accessible from Errol. Forfar Loch, Murton Nature Reserve and even Balgavies Loch are all on bus routes. Seaton cliffs at Arbroath have a few nesting seabirds and you can walk to Auchmithie along the tops. Montrose Basin is always worth a visit, though you may have to walk a good distance to really do it justice.

My blog (linked in my signature) should give you some idea of at least some of the local area highlights. Although I do get to a lot of them thanks to friends and their cars, most are doable by bus as long as you are happy enough/fit enough to do a good bit of walking as well. The glens are less well served by public transport though there are some buses that will take you to within walking distance. How far you go after that is up to you.

Dundee is a great base for birding. My list for the city alone is over 120 species, and most of my life list has been seen within around a 40 mile radius of the city. we have so much variety of habitat within relatively easy reach from sandy/rocky/pebbled beaches to cliffs, lochs, ponds, burns, rivers, estuaries, reedbeds, tidal basins, woods, parks, forests, glens, mountains, farmland, heathland (of sorts) and probably others I've forgotten.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I will be there first week in April by the way. I will look at your blog, by the way great photo of a gull fishing.

Ospreys should be arriving back in the area around that time though apart from maybe Wheatear the other summer visitors will still be a few weeks at least from arriving. Winter visitors should still be passing through the area including the geese species, and winter thrushes. Wader numbers should be pretty good.
It looks like the Isle of May Ferry runs from the 1st April (weather permitting) so it may be possible to fit in a trip to the island for some of the auks and Fulmars etc (2 buses via St Andrews to Anstruther required). The Travelinescotland website can give you a good idea of available public transport and times if you need to use the buses etc.

Forgot to post this....

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/sunday-stuff-31116.html

Popped down to the park just over a week ago. Full story on my blog (link above).

38 species seen at Nature Park - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunnock, Fieldfare, Goldfinch, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mistle Thrush, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Redshank, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Skylark, Snipe, Song Thrush, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Wren.

nice updates on your blog page barry,the park has been looking more like a series of small lakes for over a month now,the worst flooding I seen was on the 25/1/16,the usual paths I take at the east side were all under about 9 inches of water,up until 2 weeks ago the highland cattle were grazing/paddling in the lochan field,the waders are very wary of them,while the strong winds were blowing a lot of the smaller birds were sheltering in the bushes next to the path that leads down to the cattle field,i saw a great spotted woodpecker/a redwing/a female reedbunting and a goldfinch all perched together ,would have made a great pic if my camera was quick enough,i saw 3 birds last Monday that were not on your list of your last visit,a dunlin resting with the couple of hundred redshanks,(dunlin first pic top centre)a high flying female sparrowhawk and a flock of long tailed tits,on most of my visits I have also seen a solitary jay and a pair of bullfinches,the bullfinches are really enjoying the berries in the park

Attachments

• dunlin.jpg
    dunlin.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 89
  • flood2.jpg
    flood2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 77
  • bzzw.jpg
    bzzw.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 79
  • bull.jpg
    bull.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 85
  • star.jpg
    star.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 68
Short but very successful visit this morning before heading to Scone Palace for Hawfinches (successfully) from around 0825-0955. 44 species seen.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch (1 pair), Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunnock, Goldcrest (1), Goldeneye (1 male), Goldfinch, Goosander (1 pair), Great Spotted Woodpecker (2 - visible within seconds of each other, definitely different birds), Greenfinch (3), Grey Heron (1), Grey Wagtail (1 female), Herring Gull, Jack Snipe (1), Long Tailed Tit (2), Magpie (1), Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Mute Swan ( 1 pair on Lochan, 1 youngster in bay), Oystercatcher, Pheasant (1 female - in with Snipe!), Redshank, Redwing (6+), Reed Bunting, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck (6), Siskin (2), Skylark, Snipe (7 - most I've seen here), Song Thrush, Starling, Stock Dove (3), Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Told of a possible drake Shoveler seen on Lochan from a passing car this morning also.

Full story to appear on my blog sometime in the next few days....

I was in Dundee (well Inchture) today for a business meeting, and I was given a lift back to Dundee Airport around 15:45 and was sure I glimpsed 6+ PF Geese as we passed Riverside Park from Riverside Drive as we headed towards the airport. They were in grassed area that had pool, and the adjacent field (further east) was full of Oystercatchers. I'm not local and don't know the area at all having travelled up from Kent. Unfortunately the sighting was from a moving car (!) but are there previous sightings if PF Geese in that area? Wish I'd had more time to explore!

I've had one Pinkie at the Lochan (the pool in the field) in the past, and they are regular in the bay (had 3 flying out early this morning and a larger skein on Tuesday on my way to work), so certainly a good possibility.

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/sunny-sunday-14216.html

Blog post about Sunday's visit (and Scone Palace visit afterwards) as promised.

Visited the park again early this morning from around 0750-1025-ish. 38 species seen - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pink Footed Goose, Redshank, Reed Bunting, Robin, Shelduck, Sisikn, Skylark, Snipe, Song Thrush, Starling, Teal, Wopigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Further details on my blog when I get caught up again....

If you only have two days (sadly my cousin does not want to come with me and we want to spend time with them).
And do not have a car where are the best places to go?
One day I think will be Isle of May as I love seabirds and the other should be? (Ideally somewhere we can see red squirrels as well as birds).

Red Squirrels can be seen in Camperdown Park in Dundee without too much trouble (there are feeders by the countryside rangers office at the back of Camperdown House). There is also a small Wildlife Centre (zoo) in the park, so for a less 'birdy' day out with your cousin you could possibly combine a visit to the park with your search for Squirrels?

http://www.camperdownwildlifecentre.com/visitor-information/how-get-here

Another place to see them relatively easily and only a short bus journey and walk from Dundee is Morton Lochs, just outside Tayport (it is possible to walk across the golf course to the reserve. PM me for details if you like). The Tay at Tayport can be good for waders and seaducks, though dependent on tide times they can be quite distant. Morton Lochs has a selection of ducks, Little Grebes, Kingfishers, Herons and tits, finches, woodpeckers etc in addition to the Red Squirrels.

Ordinarily I'd suggest Guardbridge for more birds but there are major roadworks happening until some time in April that complicates the bus journeys a bit too much (tried it today). All really depends what species you hope to see, and how much time you have available (early start etc).

Another possibility would be to contact Stuart Green at Angus Birdtours and arrange a guided day out. Stuart certainly knows his stuff and you'd have the transport aspect covered and have a very good chance of seeing a good variety of species. Obviously this would be a more expensive way of doing things but your chances of a successful day out would be greatly enhanced.
http://www.angusbirdtours.com/

Within an hour of Dundee you have a chance of seeing species as diverse as Hawfinch, Bearded Tits, White Tailed Eagle, Puffins, Ravens and countless others. It is best to have a contingency plan for your Isle of May day as the boat doesn't sail if it is too windy.

I had a short visit yesterday,18 species seen

magpie x4/mallard/carrion crow/goldfinch/woodpigeon/chaffinch/robin/blackbird/long tailed tit/herring gull/starling/yellowhammer/skylark x2/oystercatcher/teal/redshank/shelduck/great black backed gull

Red Squirrels can be seen in Camperdown Park in Dundee without too much trouble (there are feeders by the countryside rangers office at the back of Camperdown House). There is also a small Wildlife Centre (zoo) in the park, so for a less 'birdy' day out with your cousin you could possibly combine a visit to the park with your search for Squirrels?

http://www.camperdownwildlifecentre.com/visitor-information/how-get-here

Another place to see them relatively easily and only a short bus journey and walk from Dundee is Morton Lochs, just outside Tayport (it is possible to walk across the golf course to the reserve. PM me for details if you like). The Tay at Tayport can be good for waders and seaducks, though dependent on tide times they can be quite distant. Morton Lochs has a selection of ducks, Little Grebes, Kingfishers, Herons and tits, finches, woodpeckers etc in addition to the Red Squirrels.

Ordinarily I'd suggest Guardbridge for more birds but there are major roadworks happening until some time in April that complicates the bus journeys a bit too much (tried it today). All really depends what species you hope to see, and how much time you have available (early start etc).

Another possibility would be to contact Stuart Green at Angus Birdtours and arrange a guided day out. Stuart certainly knows his stuff and you'd have the transport aspect covered and have a very good chance of seeing a good variety of species. Obviously this would be a more expensive way of doing things but your chances of a successful day out would be greatly enhanced.
http://www.angusbirdtours.com/

Within an hour of Dundee you have a chance of seeing species as diverse as Hawfinch, Bearded Tits, White Tailed Eagle, Puffins, Ravens and countless others. It is best to have a contingency plan for your Isle of May day as the boat doesn't sail if it is too windy.
Thanks for that, I have contacted Stuart Green but I am not sure if he has spaces or not.

You would be better joining the Fife and Angus Dundee bird clubs.
For just £12 you can join the Angus and Dundee Bird club for a FULL year and as well as the booklet "Bird watching sites in Angus" (hopefully photo attached to this message), you will receive newsletters, yearly bird report and you can also benefit from the text news system of local interesting birds.
Its only £12 for the year! You can see details on the www.AngusBirding.com website particularly this page http://www.angusbirding.com/html/adbc.html
The website showing local sightings is also free to join!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back