• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (15 Viewers)

Pintail present Sunday not seen today, news from today Snipe 60+ on the island and six Ring Necked Parakeets at the feeding station per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

Not sure if there will be any updates for the next couple of days if not i would like to wish you all :-
A HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Good Birding YAMYAM

Just a note to say the Pintail is still present on Forge Mill, Goosander x12 and Snipe x45 on the island per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

News from the 25th Goosander x20, Gadwall x 26, Wigeon x 14, Pochard x 23, Shoveler x 6, Snipe x 35, Lapwing x 43, Willow Tit x 2 and Pintail still present per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Valley Checklist

I have had a couple of PM’s asking me if there is a Valley checklist available any where to purchase, I’m sure a checklist was available to buy from the old visitor centre before the fire but I’m not sure if its still in print. There is a checklist in the back of the book Birds of Sandwell Valley by Forbes, Hackett and Hextell.
If any one would like an up to date copy of the Valley list let me know and I will Email you a copy.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Just had a call from Pete Carless to say he couldn’t locate the Pintail today. Snipe on the island where down to 30 birds and only 6 Goosander could be seen. Overall he reckoned wildfowl numbers where well down but this is only on Forge Mill so the birds could be spread out on the other waters in the Valley.
Good Birding YAMYAM

News for today Gadwall x16, Great Black Backed Gull x1, Snipe x46, Jack Snipe, Pintail, Goosander x12, Teal c12, Great Crested Grebe x2, Cormorant x2, Tufted Duck c60, Pochard c16, Wigeon x10, Lapwing x42 and Shoveler c6 per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

News for today Gadwall x16, Great Black Backed Gull x1, Snipe x46, Jack Snipe, Pintail, Goosander x12, Teal c12, Great Crested Grebe x2, Cormorant x2, Tufted Duck c60, Pochard c16, Wigeon x10, Lapwing x42 and Shoveler c6 per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

The Greater Black Back is only the second record this year in the Valley.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Great Black Backed Gull

The first documented record I could find was in 1978, it has never bee a common bird in the Valley and I imagine there are a fair few Valley birders who still need Great Black Back for their Valley list, there have been max counts of up to five birds in the 1970’s and 1980’s but one’s and two’s are the norm. We might possibly get birds flying over the Valley back and forth from Gull roosts on the larger bodies of water ie:- Edgebaston and Bartley, with only two records this year, it only goes to show how rare these birds are in the Valley.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Edgbaston

I have wondered about a roost at Edgbaston but need really saw one. Was often there before dawn and birds normally came in from the SW/w at day break; presumably Bartley?

I have wondered about a roost at Edgbaston but need really saw one. Was often there before dawn and birds normally came in from the SW/w at day break; presumably Bartley?

Maybe it's a Pre Roost at Edgebaston
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Swan pool
Tuted Duck c80, Great Crested Grebe x2, Little Grebe x6, Cormorant x8, Wigeon x20, Gadwall x3 and Pochard x2.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Forge Mill
Goosander x2, Wigeon x16, Pochard x15, Great Crested Grebe x2, Cormorant x1, Gadwall x9, Teal x11, Shoveler x14 and Kingfisher.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Also seen today Pied Wagtail, Goldcrest, Long Tailed Tit x8, Kestrel x1 female, Buzzard, Goldfinch x8, Herring Gull x8, Lesser Black Back x50 and Black Headed Gull c 600+.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back