• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (12 Viewers)

I was sat in the Hide at the RSPB today looking for Water Rail ‘no joy’ and Pete Carless pointed out a Mute Swan to me saying the bird was very aggressive to all the rest of the Swans on Forge Mill, the bird came out off the water and stood on one of the islands it was a big bugger and I could see why the other Swans give it a wide berth, the darvic was Orange numbers ROO on it if any one has any info on this bird please let us know I have sent a couple of E-Mails to various people I will update when and if I hear anything.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
I was sat in the Hide at the RSPB today looking for Water Rail ‘no joy’ and Pete Carless pointed out a Mute Swan to me saying the bird was very aggressive to all the rest of the Swans on Forge Mill, the bird came out off the water and stood on one of the islands it was a big bugger and I could see why the other Swans give it a wide berth, the darvic was Orange numbers ROO on it if any one has any info on this bird please let us know I have sent a couple of E-Mails to various people I will update when and if I hear anything.
Good Birding YAMYAM

This swan has been on Forge Mill on and off for a few years - whenever there is just one pair present it normally follows that this male is there. I reported it a few years back. Can't remember all the details but I know it was ringed on the Severn as a juv a number of years ago.

I'll email the ringer to get the details again.

This swan has been on Forge Mill on and off for a few years - whenever there is just one pair present it normally follows that this male is there. I reported it a few years back. Can't remember all the details but I know it was ringed on the Severn as a juv a number of years ago.

I'll email the ringer to get the details again.

Cheers Mike :t:
Good Birding YAMYAM

Year List so far this year:-
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Cormorant
Grey Heron
Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Wigeon
Gadwall
Teal
Mallard
Shoveler
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Goldeneye
Goosander
Sparrowhawk
Buzzard
Kestrel
Water Rail
Moorhen
Coot
Lapwing
Snipe
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Rock Dove (feral pigeon)
Stock Dove
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Ring-necked Parakeet
Kingfisher
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Song Thrush
Redwing
Mistle Thrush
Goldcrest
Long-tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Willow Tit
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Jay
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Siskin
Redpoll
Bullfinch

not bad for three days
Good Birding YAMYAM

A couple of late items from 2014 there was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker seen near the Grebe Pool in early December and a Tawny Owl was was at High Bridges on the 31st December per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Great Black Back roosted, Goosander x50, Kingfisher x2, Little Grebe x8, Grey Wagtail x4, Jackdaw c500+, Common Gull and Water Rail x4 per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Information regarding 'Atilla' the swan (Orange R00)

R00 W16800 cygnet 11/10/05 R.Severn Worcester Arrived with broodmate - became R99 + adults 3RRm 2STf {Parents? )
Sighted
Worcester 19/02/06, 28/03/07, 16/05/07, 31/10/07 + 08/12/07 ( last date + T26 )
Forge Mill lake Sandwell been present and breeding successfully since at least 2010

I've added details regarding his absence during 2014 breeding season and that he only returned a month or so ago.

So looking at this info, he will celebrate his 10th birthday this year.

Information regarding 'Atilla' the swan (Orange R00)

R00 W16800 cygnet 11/10/05 R.Severn Worcester Arrived with broodmate - became R99 + adults 3RRm 2STf {Parents? )
Sighted
Worcester 19/02/06, 28/03/07, 16/05/07, 31/10/07 + 08/12/07 ( last date + T26 )
Forge Mill lake Sandwell been present and breeding successfully since at least 2010

I've added details regarding his absence during 2014 breeding season and that he only returned a month or so ago.

So looking at this info, he will celebrate his 10th birthday this year.

Thanks Mike
Good Birding YAMYAM

Can anyone give me info about visiting here.................

Know the Swan Pool from seeing the Diver last xmas ...park in car park and a walk all around it.

Last time I went to the RSPB site there was a porta - cabin type thing and nothing on the site of the old visitor centre but think could park around here.
There was just one hide here and could not access it as it is always locked to non regulars.

Is the mentioned feeders still by the old centre ?

I know of the paddock area and the little ponds by the ruined abbey thing.

Obviously not being local I have to get here by car so a safe parking place is needed.

Where would the best place be if I stayed for a couple of hours only please.

Cheers
Keith

Can anyone give me info about visiting here.................

Know the Swan Pool from seeing the Diver last xmas ...park in car park and a walk all around it.

Last time I went to the RSPB site there was a porta - cabin type thing and nothing on the site of the old visitor centre but think could park around here.
There was just one hide here and could not access it as it is always locked to non regulars.

Is the mentioned feeders still by the old centre ?

I know of the paddock area and the little ponds by the ruined abbey thing.

Obviously not being local I have to get here by car so a safe parking place is needed.

Where would the best place be if I stayed for a couple of hours only please.

Cheers
Keith

Parking on Swan Pool Car park is fairly safe, also Forge Mill Car Park not really a problem the feeding station can be seen from path leading to old visiter centre from the hide looking to your right maybe an hour around Swan Pool and an hour around Forge Mill
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Swan Pool
Goldeneye pair, Wigeon c20, Gadwall c6, Pochard, Great Crested Grebe x3, Cormorant x4 and a Reed Bunting.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Colliery Banks
Coal Tit x2, Treecreeper x1, Goldcrest x2 and Long Tailed Tit c12
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Forge Mill, RSPB

Buzzard x3, Gadwall c8, Goosander x12, Pochard c19, Shoveler c6, Great rested Grebe, Wigeon, Cormorant, Lapwing c40, Snipe c50, Teal x6, Goldeneye x1 female, Willow Tit, Bullfinch c7, House Sparrow x4, Redwing c16, Coal Tit, Long Tailed Tit c11 and Green Woodpecker ‘ Kim’s Field’
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks yamyam......I should have come this morning - looks like you had a good 'un.

Your welcome Keith. The Valley had a good day; I had a fantastic day I specifically went looking for Reed Bunting, Coal Tit and Meadow Pipit. The Raven was a surprise I was watching a couple of Buzzard over Monks Meadow when I heard the Raven call I looked up and it went straight over my head at tree top level, I got a text to say the Pintail was back and after a hour in the Hide I was on my way back to the car when the Green Woodpecker flew over calling and landed in Kim’s Field. I couldn’t find a Water Rail and there was no sign of the Great Black Backed Gull but with six-year ticks I was well happy back to work tomorrow |:(|
Good Birding YAMYAM :t:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back