• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

scope dilemma! (4 Viewers)

scope dilemma

i recently purchased a pentax pf 80 ed.adorama & cameraland in new york have them for around $800 with 20-60 zoom i also purchased a 7mm pentax xl eye piece for about $250 i now possess what i think is the best value on the market . by the way i have swaro 15x65 & 8x30 binos .very nice but pentax is by far the best value in scopes .equal to the euro stuff
brian

Robert L Jarvis said:
Hi Salty
I think if you are intending to digiscope with your A95 or a DSLR the focusing on the swaro may well hinder those quality shots you are after.

Robert

i have heard about the swaros focusing abilities when digiscoping, would it slow me down trying for a well focused shot etc?

I have the Zeiss Diascope 65 with zoom lens and don't like it. I have gone back to using my older Bushnell Spacemaster that cost about one third the price, if not less. The problem (for me) with the Zeiss is not the optics but the size of the zoom eyepiece. It's so big that I simply cannot look through it comfortably. I was sure I'd get used to it but I haven't. PLEASE, PLEASE try as much as possible before buying and keep an open mind. The scope that everyone raves about may not be for you. If you liked your old Leica, it might not be a bad idea to go with this company again (if you can afford one).

mattpau said:
I have the Zeiss Diascope 65 with zoom lens and don't like it. I have gone back to using my older Bushnell Spacemaster that cost about one third the price, if not less. The problem (for me) with the Zeiss is not the optics but the size of the zoom eyepiece. It's so big that I simply cannot look through it comfortably. I was sure I'd get used to it but I haven't. PLEASE, PLEASE try as much as possible before buying and keep an open mind. The scope that everyone raves about may not be for you. If you liked your old Leica, it might not be a bad idea to go with this company again (if you can afford one).

I'm a little puzzled about your statement that the zoom eyepiece is too big. How does that affect your ability to look thru it? I could understand if it was too small, I guess. And I would say that the eye relief gets a bit short at about 30x. But too big?

Best,
Bill

Bill A said:
I'm a little puzzled about your statement that the zoom eyepiece is too big. How does that affect your ability to look thru it? I could understand if it was too small, I guess. And I would say that the eye relief gets a bit short at about 30x. But too big?

Best,
Bill

Hi Bill

curiously someone else said this to me........ like you I have a problem with small eye pieces....

I've heard this commented on before - but not always as a criticism. Personally I prefer the larger field of view - the Swarovski whilst edge to edge sharp and fairly wide, it feels 'confined' compared to the Zeiss. I think the wider view also helps with the light gathering especially if digiscoping. The not so sharp edges don't really come into it as you don't view through them.

Salty said:
I have heard about the swaros focusing abilities when digiscoping, would it slow me down trying for a well focused shot etc?
I suppose it does. The Zeiss is so quick and easy to focus whereas with the Swarovski I find it's easy to get the focus somewhere near but 'fine focusing' is pretty tricky when you have to take hold of the scope body. The Zeiss you can do it with one finger and barely touching the scope - very much like my old Kowa 823.

As it's been said before it's down to personal choice of design.

Bill A said:

Best,
Bill

Hi Bill

I have a relatively narrow face and deep-set eyes. My nose prevents the huge Zeiss eyepiece from fitting into the area immediately in front of my eye unless I cock my head at an unnatural and uncomfortable angle. With the Bushnell I can keep looking straight ahead and the small eyepiece fits quite naturally into the "socket". No neck problems!

I'm not suggesting that this will necessarily happen to Salty, but one can't be too careful. I know of other instances of people who own scopes that are considered very good optically but who don't like them for non-optical reasons. Often it's weight-- their scopes are too heavy for them. My point is to not get too hung up on the optics when other factors may well make or break the scope for you.

I wish you hadn't started this thread as it got me thinking. Although I am very happy with my Leica I started thinking what I'd go for if I was getting a new scope now.

Personally I don't like the focus on the Swaro, far prefer the twin focus system on the Leica and Zeiss. In terms of optical quality I don't think there's much to choose between them, though the image in the Zeiss seemed 'colder' to me. Lack of edge to edge sharpness on the Zeiss doesn't seem to big a problem given the large FOV, and it's certainly impressive at the high end of the zoom.
I'm doing a lot less digiscoping these days so would seriously consider going for one of the smaller scopes (in fact I'd like to change down), though would recommend you go for a biggie if you are going to try digiscoping.

If I was to go out and buy a scope tomorrow I'd probably still end up with the Leica (I know it's a great scope), but would probably buy a 62 for the reduced weight. The fact that the Leica is the cheapest of the top end scopes would also sway me that way. That said if I could get a good deal on the 65 (or the 85) Zeiss I'd jump at the chance... see what you've done, now I want a new scope...

LOL postie, sorry about that bud!

though the leica APO 62 is mighty fine, the big zeiss is only £128 more than it even with the zoom eyepiece, from warehouse express.......im going to get the zeiss at the moment, although not untill after the birdfair............just incase!

salty said:
LOL postie, sorry about that bud!

though the leica APO 62 is mighty fine, the big zeiss is only £128 more than it even with the zoom eyepiece, from warehouse express.......im going to get the zeiss at the moment, although not untill after the birdfair............just incase!

not too sure where you saw the prices - looks more like a £200 difference to me... though I could easily be getting it wrong.

The only reason I am thinking of changing is a weight issue. I now carry about 6kg of camera kit out with me when birding, so changing for a 77 to a 62 will help a little. having compared them side by side today I know I'll be happy with the little fella. Just need to sell my apo77, then I can get the apo62...

Salty as regards the swaro I just do not like the idea of having to put a hand round the body of the scope to focus. But there are people who have succesfully used the swaro for digiscoping, so you makes your choice and pays your money.

Personally I think the swaro and leica are like GI's, over here, over priced and over hyped or is it sexed up. Personally I would go for a Kowa 823 or 824 and save a lot of bucks. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a digiscoped photo between them all.

I tried the Zeiss 65, Swaro 65 and Leica 62 side by side yesterday, and thought I'd share my thoughts on them.

All three were optically excellent, the big differences were in focusing and ease of viewing. I don't like the big focus wheel on the Swaro (though could get used to it), I did however like the fact that the zoom offered a 20-60 range, rather than the reduced mags of the other two. I found that the Swaro was the hardest to look through - it was not as easy to line up with my eye as the other two.
I found the focus on the Zeiss to be very stiff (not sure if this is a general issue or just the one I tried), it was not easy to focus with one finger as it was with the Leica. I found the (much discussed) soft edge to the view to be quite off putting - the sharp area seemed smaller than the FOV of the other two.

If you like a wider FOV (and can accept soft edges) go for the Zeiss. If want edge-to-edge sharpness and ease of use go with the Leica. If you need the extra mag at the top end go for the Swarovski.
In my opinion the Leica was the best of the three, but as I currently use a apo77 that's no big suprise.

I've got the Swaro and it is excellent.

I tried all the top end scopes. I really didn't like the Zeiss. It feels really plasticky compared to the Swaro and I didn't like the colour tone. Having said the wide field of view on the zoom is fantastic.

The Leica is excellent and I would probably have gone for that if it wasn't for the size and weight.

Always best to try all of them yourself and make your own mind up but my personal preference is:

1. Swaro
2. Leica
3. Zeiss

marek_walford said:

I tried all the top end scopes. I really didn't like the Zeiss. It feels really plasticky compared to the Swaro and I didn't like the colour tone. Having said the wide field of view on the zoom is fantastic.

The Leica is excellent and I would probably have gone for that if it wasn't for the size and weight.

Always best to try all of them yourself and make your own mind up but my personal preference is:

1. Swaro
2. Leica
3. Zeiss

Wot, no Nikon?

marek_walford said:

1. Swaro
2. Leica
3. Zeiss

Marek

presume you are referring to the 80mm scopes as at 60mm weight is virtually identical.

Zeiss or Leica

Hi Salty.I m using the zeiss 85T FL the canon A95 and the Zeiss quick adapter and I absolutly love it. The only problem with digiscoping is the amount of hours you`ll be spending on the computer checking out your photo`s. and trying to make`em even better. But once you start you`ll be hooked.Once you get that first shot and you think damn I did that they`ll be no stopping you. Can`t wait to see your first shots. B :)

Hi saltie .... just a personal thing wrt the focusing.

I've a Swaro 65 and would not swap the focus mechanism for anything, i know not everyone will agree but i find the single large ring makes it easier to get a good grip on & come to a definite focus, especially in the winter with gloves (or cold fingers !) rather than fiddle about with smaller focus systems.

Karl J said:
I've a Swaro 65 and would not swap the focus mechanism for anything, i know not everyone will agree but i find the single large ring makes it easier to get a good grip on & come to a definite focus, especially in the winter with gloves (or cold fingers !) rather than fiddle about with smaller focus systems.

I've heard the same from two or three other Swaro users, so you're not alone.

I don't envy Salty with his choice - as with all top-end optics, it come down to little features like this in the end, and trying to work out which matter to him most.

Mind you Salty, whichever one you choose, take heart from this. I can't remember seeing a post from someone who said "I spent £1,000+ on a Zeiss / Leica / Swaro / Nikon - now I wish I'd bought a different one cos this one's rubbish".

It seems to be a special feature with top optics - they come with built in brand loyalty and total satisfaction. Which is how I know the Zeiss is best!

Seriously though, enjoy Birdfair. I'll keep an eye out for you in the optics tent - presumably you'll be the fella with the big queue behind you?

mattpau said:
I have looked through both of these scopes, and own the Zeiss 85. I really cannot imagine many people sharing your views. The Spacemaster offers a very degraded view compared to the quite superb Zeiss - in fact, even objective measurements would point in that direction, surely? But, we are all different.

The Zeiss zoom eyepiece is similar in size to all modern zooms and has a near identical eye relief, too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back