• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

security (1 Viewer)

Rob Chace

Hi all,
My free Mcafe trial expires soon & was wondering which free antivirus & fire wall people are using with vista sp1? I have used both avg & zonealarm in the past on xp, but have had issues with zonealarm on vista. I am not interested in paying for this security when there are so many good freebies out there.
Many thanks
Rob.

Three free anti virus are AVG, Avast and Avira and all have their fans. For a free firewall Comodo is popular, I use PC Tools free firewall with no problems so far.

Hi all,
My free Mcafe trial expires soon & was wondering which free antivirus & fire wall people are using with vista sp1? I have used both avg & zonealarm in the past on xp, but have had issues with zonealarm on vista. I am not interested in paying for this security when there are so many good freebies out there.
Many thanks
Rob.

I use Avast and Zonealarm Firewall on Vista SP1 with no problems to date.

I have been using AVG, zonealarm, Ccleaner, spybot, and windows defender - all updated regularly with daily scans, with no problems at all for 4 years BUT I have just picked up a Trojan BackDoor agent - mega bad news, have been trying to get rid of it for almost a week now with no success. Could end up having to reformat the whole m/c.:C:C:C

None of them seem to get everything. The other thing I run in the background is PC Tools Threatfire which looks for dangerous activity rather than signatures and blocks them working. Gets good write ups as as an excellent extra layer of protection. It is free from PC Tools website and again has been on both my XP desktop PC and my Vista laptop without causing any problems.

Last edited:
We use AVG, Malewarebyte, and Zone Alarm along with Vista and it all works fine.

We set up AVG to do a scan everyday automatically. I update the Update Manager every few days so that any change to software is noted.

Malewarebytes which I use, I do a full scan once a week. I cannot see a faciity to set Maleware to do an automatic daily scan at all (unless someone knows different)

Zone Alarm does it what it is supposed to do and protect any programs entering your domain unless you agreed for the programs to do so.

Used another free program called 'Hijackthis'. Have icon as a desktop icon. It clears of any Maleware problems that 'Malewarebytes' overlooks.

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

It helped clear all my last Fake Trojan virus problems that I had. I would be a little more careful, using this program and would be inclined make sure that all backup files are available just incase.

When we bought our PC from Dell in August last year. Dell tried to sell 'Mcafee' for £50, and we where having none of it. So we settled for the free programs mentioned above instead

Last edited:
Hi Roy, the anti-malware sites I refer to in your other thread offer recommendations for free security programmes. Also check out the protect yourself articles on the MajorGeeks.com forums.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back