• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shipping Telescope (1 Viewer)

GeoffWood

I have just bought a scope and tripod from a private seller, but it is my responsibility to cover delivery.
Trying to organise insured courier service, but not straight forward, some won't cover for loss or damage.
Any recommendations please?

Last edited:
I have just bought a scope and tripod from a private seller, but it is my responsibility to cover delivery.
Trying to organise insured courier service, but not straight forward, some won't cover for loss or damage.
Any recommendations please?

I have had this situation many years ago. First who is going to pack up this scope ? Even if you can find a insured courier service, are they picking up the scope ? Is the insurance coverage issues their responsibility or the sellers ? I bring this up, though in reverse I was the seller shipping a 350 pound church bell 1500 miles. In my situation I had to find a reliable shipping source that would and could physically pickup up this bell at my home. I was also the one responsible for the packaging or in this case building the wooden crate the bell was to be shipped in, not to mention the hassle I had getting it insured thru the trucking provider. My case is the extreme and was physically challenging because I had to build the crate since no trucking service I called provided the service. Having said this, I knew the bell would get there safely because I crated it. I did all the proper research to find the right shipping source and was present when it was picked up and shipped to its destination. Would I do all this again ? No and I was the one who was actually in person seeing it got done right. So ... If you are willing to do all the research, knowing that it will be packaged up properly, you have found the right shipping source-picked up /shipped knowing you will have all the liability insurance covered. Only you can make that decision.

Last edited:
I have had this situation many years ago. First who is going to pack up this scope ? Even if you can find a insured courier service, are they picking up the scope ? Is the insurance coverage issues their responsibility or the sellers ? I bring this up, though in reverse I was the seller shipping a 350 pound church bell 1500 miles. In my situation I had to find a reliable shipping source that would and could physically pickup up this bell at my home. I was also the one responsible for the packaging or in this case building the wooden crate the bell was to be shipped in, not to mention the hassle I had getting it insured thru the trucking provider. My case is the extreme and was physically challenging because I had to build the crate since no trucking service I called provided the service. Having said this, I knew the bell would get there safely because I crated it. I did all the proper research to find the right shipping source and was present when it was picked up and shipped to its destination. Would I do all this again ? No and I was the one who was actually in person seeing it got done right. So ... If you are willing to do all the research, knowing that it will be packaged up properly, you have found the right shipping source-picked up /shipped knowing you will have all the liability insurance covered. Only you can make that decision.

One last thing to consider, if anything goes wrong after it leaves the sellers hands you will have to deal with all the actors involved up to when it gets to you. Not to mention even if you think it was the sellers fault, they will blame it on you and who you chose to handle the shipping.

I have bitten the bullet and booked the parcel with UPS. The seller works for Amazon and knows how a package should be done. It is double boxed and both boxes filled with bubble wrap. Photos provided of the packaging and the final parcel. Fingers crossed....

Transglobal express Gives you access to discounted quotes from many of the major couriers. You can compare all the insurance etc - I’ve used them for shipping musical instruments and it’s always worked well.

The parcel was delivered by UPS this afternoon. No signs of rough treatment to the outer layer and the contents very well protected - a sigh of relief
Packaging is the key

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back