• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shropshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Chris
Was that the bird behind the post office down the alleyway? Checked rowan rd this am but no sign of waxwings I'm afraid I'll keep looking.

Andy

We'll do a trip report, Patrick, although I'm waay behind on my reports this year due to PC problems and general laziness. I've got Morocco to finish off, then Scotland, Hungary and Catalonia to write - and Julie needs to work out how to upload documents since our webhost messed about with all the settings. It won't be a very birdy report as the only species of great significance that we saw were the Nutcrackers and Crested Tits along with a single Norther Grey Shrike and a Kingfisher.

I reckon that it was the Post Office Waxwing, Andy. I certainly can't recall seeing any before that. My guess is that was in the mid 1990s. If this cold weather keeps up, then maybe we'll get a few around the county before too long - and hopefully those Nutcrackers will have taken my advice and set off for Shropshire by now ;)

Biggish Accipiter over the M54 near the 'Tesco' roundabout at 08:20 this morning - most likely a f Sparrowhawk.

I counted 40 L-t-Tits flying across Holyhead road whilst parked at the temporary traffic lights - they were still crossing when I moved off.

My winter finch floch visible from the office window has arrived - seems bigger this year. It usually turns up about an hour before sunset - perhaps 100 yesterday. I'll try to find some time to sneak out and find out what's in it - plenty of Greenfinches yesterday but I'll expect Siskins and Redpolls too.

Last edited:
Lovely morning yesterday at Haughmond Hill where a very showy and vocal Willow Tit was the highlight of a very good selection of woodland birds there.

The Willow Tit was in the mixed woodland beside the blue trail some 200 yards to the south of the car park at the point where the path splits to go either side of a large tree.

Also some 15 Lesser Redpolls in the birches, 3 pairs of Nuthatches apparently starting to hold territory along the blue trail, several Marsh Tits, Treecreepers and Goldcrests showing well through the woods and a party of Bullfinches including 2 very bright males just south of the car park. Several Chaffinches flying over high during the morning.

Not much on The Long Mynd today from a walk from Bridges up to Shooting Box and back - a pair of Stonechats, the Red Kite over Bridges as usual, a Kestrel and a few Fieldfares.

Heard about the Waxwings that are now in Ellesmere town centre, but went to Shrewsbury Town v Rotherham instead as Waxwings will get to Shrewsbury soon enough. A small roost of Pied Wagtails in the roof of one of the stands there.

You did better than me at Haughmond, Patrick. We went on Saturday late morning and the highlight was the cherry cake from the cafe, although I think we had a few Crossbills over - I'm not confident with the call, though. Worth the effort for a walk on such a gorgeous day.

2f/1m Goosander and a Kingfisher at the Severn/Rea Brook confluence yesterday at about 11:50 and 4 Goosander at Atham bridge (from the car). Decent views of the Bittern and brief sighting of a Water Rail at VP from about 15:30.

Couldn't get to see the Waxwing's as I was working yesterday!!! (& I dipped Andy's at Trumpton, despite being the first person to get there!!)....
Massing quite a dip list at the end of what has been an awesome county year!!! (no less than 11 county ticks for me.... plus I've dipped a further 5!!! ~ SE Owl, Yellow-browed Warbler, Nightjar, Honey Biuzzard & Water Pipit!!)...
3 visits to the Long Mynd have failed to produce a Hen Harrier, no sign of a Jack Snipe at Whixall... missed Andy's Wapit at Mire by literally seconds!!!!...
Hoping my luck changes very soon... just 2 more county year ticks for 160 for the year in Shropshire!!!

Couldn't get to see the Waxwing's as I was working yesterday!!! (& I dipped Andy's at Trumpton, despite being the first person to get there!!)....
Massing quite a dip list at the end of what has been an awesome county year!!! (no less than 11 county ticks for me.... plus I've dipped a further 5!!! ~ SE Owl, Yellow-browed Warbler, Nightjar, Honey Biuzzard & Water Pipit!!)...
3 visits to the Long Mynd have failed to produce a Hen Harrier, no sign of a Jack Snipe at Whixall... missed Andy's Wapit at Mire by literally seconds!!!!...
Hoping my luck changes very soon... just 2 more county year ticks for 160 for the year in Shropshire!!!
Hey jason,
you need to get to ellesmere apparently they've increased to eight today, med gull in trumpton yesterday, maybe it is the centre of the known universe like the locals think!!!!!

andy

Two ten hour days for me so far this week, so no chance of getting to Ellesmere in daylight. Mind you I've got a meeting in Warrington on Thursday p.m. and Ellesmere's pretty much on the way from Telford, isn't it? :-O

If anyone sees them there tomorrow or Thursday morning I'd appreciate a nod, if only so I can compare the call to what I heard in Telford two weeks ago.

I'll try tomorrow Andy if I'm up in time as I'm currently working nights, have to pick my daughter up at 3pm, so shall only have a narrow window of time...
Mind you, fairly confident I had 7 in Bayston Hill today, just a naff view (no bins either!!)... Had a scout round, but no sign... more worringly, no real berry bushes (apart from in private gardens!!)...
I'm relatively confident I'll nail one before the years out.... ;)

I've got a meeting in Warrington on Thursday p.m. and Ellesmere's pretty much on the way from Telford, isn't it.

Chris - it is, I dropped by at Ellesmere yesterday afternoon briefly on my way back from Warrington to Shrewsbury but didn't see any Waxwings in the 10 minutes I had free. However, I understand they did come back later so hope to try again at the weekend if there aren't any in Shrewsbury by then. There are 2 small trees with berries in the town centre car park at Ellesmere which 8 Waxwings won't take long to clear, so they may move on before long anyway.

3 visits to the Long Mynd have failed to produce a Hen Harrier

Just to raise awareness if anyone is going to the Long Mynd over the next few weeks, but we had a very distant view of a persistently hovering buzzard-sized raptor at Ratlinghope Hill on Sunday. Whilst it was too distant to get any detail on it, and by the time we'd got closer it had gone, it might be worth keeping an eye out for.

Ratlinghope Hill, viewed from the east, is good for the local Red Kite anyway.

Some interesting Starling-sized birds in the trees at the Heathgates island end of Sundorne Road this morning - the car behind was a bit close so I couldn't safely slow down and no time to pull over for a better look. There are almost always Starlings around there, so that's probably what they were. I'll try to have a proper look tomorrow morning. All the Starling-size birds around Heath Farm this morning were definitely Starlings.

Persistently hovering buzzards sized bird eh? As I'm sure you're aware, Common Buzzards do hover, but I can't say I've seen one doing it persistently. They normally realise how clumsy they look and go and do something else. Sounds worth a look for anyone down there this weekend. I'm out of the county.

How long to Ellesmere from Warrington (Birchwood, actually - 5 minutes to the M56)? I might be able to get two bites at the Ellesmere cherry (berry?) if my meeting finishes on time.

How long to Ellesmere from Warrington (Birchwood, actually - 5 minutes to the M56)? I might be able to get two bites at the Ellesmere cherry (berry?) if my meeting finishes on time.

Less than an hour yesterday via Chester and Wrexham. The berry trees are located at the far end of the car park from the entrance off the main road, around to the left.

Most of the Bridges' Common Buzzards seem too fat and lazy to bother persistently hovering, especially as Sunday morning was pretty calm in the valley there. I will keep an eye out for this one, but it was too distant on Sunday to get too excited about.

hi all,
The weather conditions on sunday could be the reason for a consistantly hovering buzzard, as a word of warning there is/was a very pale buzzard in the area which I ran halfway accross the moor at pole cott to get a better view of which was not the hoped for rough leg!!!
Which patrick I assume you were hoping for?
The berries on rowan road have all but gone now and the ellesmere birds have not been reported today alan heath & howard prince have put quite a lot of time in looking but no success, both today & monday+tuesday. in fact they would like to know who is seeing them??!!
cheers andy

Which patrick I assume you were hoping for?
... in fact they would like to know who is seeing them??!!

Andy

Indeed - but as you say, it was always a long shot. Hence my vagueness, but I thought I'd flag it! I do like that area, however, as there's good potential for raptors and a decent pub for lunch.

Jim's blog has some great photos of the Waxwings.

Some interesting Starling-sized birds in the trees at the Heathgates island end of Sundorne Road this morning ...

Stopped on the way in to work this morning - absolutley no birds about at all at 8 a.m. Along the whole length of the road up to the A49 I saw two Blackbirds and two Magpies! Even the Startlings weren't there.

The 8 Waxwings that were found yesterday afternoon on Featherbed Lane, Shrewsbury were still present this morning at 08:50, feeding in a small tree in the car park of Aldi, opposite the former Tesco site or sitting up in a Birch on the former Tesco site itself.

The Two-barred Crossbill near Leomister is temptingly close - haven't seen one for nearly twenty years!

The 8 Waxwings that were found yesterday afternoon on Featherbed Lane, Shrewsbury

Teasingly close to the birds I saw on Sundorne Road on Wednesday. Wish I'd had two minutes to have a proper look now.

Next time I'm in Shrewsbury in what might be considered daylight hours is Tuesday morning. I hope they're still around.

Good look if you go for the Crossbill, Patrick. I've never seen one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back