• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Signs of spring (1 Viewer)

mild winter weather

Not meaning to call you out, but included the link as thought I'd better double check and interesting enough to include ...

The odd WW gets reported overwintering (but still a major rarity), I'd guess if the id was indeed confirmed (primary projection etc), it must be more likely to be a wintering bird than a genuine sub-saharan migrant?

On the other score, saw a robin collecting nesting material two days ago too.
This weather seems to catch most wildlife out but even so
a pair of mistle thrush feeding young in the nest in january in a tree in leicester
royal infirmarys grounds i have never heard of one that early i wonder how
many if similar records exist here, i always wonder why crossbills nest so
early is their a need too.

This weather seems to catch most wildlife out but even so
a pair of mistle thrush feeding young in the nest in january in a tree in leicester
royal infirmarys grounds i have never heard of one that early i wonder how
many if similar records exist here, i always wonder why crossbills nest so
early is their a need too.

The original thread (First signs of Spring) is here -

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=275284

where we discussed early breeding birds, frogspawn and bumblebees etc.

Don't think there should be too much going on in terms of spring migration yet in the UK (at least in terms of sub-saharan stuff which we usually think of as harbingers of spring like Swallows and the like. Birds such as Lesser Black-backed Gulls wintering further south in Europe obviously starting to move, which could possibly be thought of as migration).

Crossbills feed on seeds which are probably going to be more of and in better condition in the winter (ie straight after they develop in the autumn) and before mould/invertebrates/squirrels/other birds etc can affect them?

Last edited:
Nor was your nest-building robin ;)

That was because I was responding in kind to 'ol Griswold's Wren post and trying to be positive after casting nasturtiums on his WW. I'll put it in the proper thread then where it belongs ...

;)

:cat:

:t:

(And any other additional inappropriate smileys)

That was because I was responding in kind to 'ol Griswold's Wren post and trying to be positive after casting nasturtiums on his WW. I'll put it in the proper thread then where it belongs ...

;)

:cat:

:t:

(And any other additional inappropriate smileys)

Less of the old.......... Oh no. Quite right too8-P

Early arrivals

Hi Dan, hope you're having a good time in France, hope this is the right forum, just wanted to say that at the mo Sat/Sun look good for some early arrivals into the UK, perhaps Sand Martin, Sandwich Tern, an early Wheatear, singing Chiffy, who knows? - Alpine Swift, Firecrests etc; things could change between now and then of course!
TTFN, Mike.

Swallow in Lancs yesterday.

Today - Garganey in Suffolk; Sandwich Tern in Dorset; Osprey in Sussex; Turtle Dove in Bucks; Whimbrel in Kent and Pembrokes;

CB

Cannot wait to be out birdwatching tomorrow - sunny, breezy, with winds from the south = displaying Goshawks and migrants. Oh how I love this time of year.

Today - Garganey in Suffolk; Sandwich Tern in Dorset; Osprey in Sussex; Turtle Dove in Bucks; Whimbrel in Kent and Pembrokes;

CB

Sorry but I think at least half of them are probably overwintering birds as opposed to actual migrants ( ;) )

Turtle Dove and 1 Whimbrel definitely are (imagine the other is too) and I would be surprised if there were no Sandwich Terns overwintering in the area.

On the other hand, a couple of Wheatear reported over the last few days.

Hi Dan, hope you're having a good time in France, hope this is the right forum, just wanted to say that at the mo Sat/Sun look good for some early arrivals into the UK, perhaps Sand Martin, Sandwich Tern, an early Wheatear, singing Chiffy, who knows? - Alpine Swift, Firecrests etc; things could change between now and then of course!
TTFN, Mike.

Cheers. Not sure if it is or not for the general exchanging of pleasantries - I guess there's the "Say Hello" subforum, or even the "General Chit-chat" forum???

Anyway, lovely and sunny (and warm) here - unfortunately not good for viz mig at all, apart from half a dozen Black Kites north the other day just some of the regular (but still nice) garden birds (including singing Chiff and Firecrest of course).

Last edited:
Cheers. Not sure if it is or not for the general exchanging of pleasantries - I guess there's the "Say Hello" subforum, or even the "General Chit-chat" forum???

Anyway, lovely and sunny (and warm) here - unfortunately not good for viz mig at all, apart from half a dozen Black Kites north the other day just some of the regular (but still nice) garden birds (including singing Chiff and Firecrest of course).

To see one black kite here on passage would be a highlight here in Derbyshire one species that seems to miss our county on passage
but pleased to say at least red kite showing more now.

CB

Sorry but I think at least half of them are probably overwintering birds as opposed to actual migrants ( ;) )

Turtle Dove and 1 Whimbrel definitely are (imagine the other is too) and I would be surprised if there were no Sandwich Terns overwintering in the area.

On the other hand, a couple of Wheatear reported over the last few days.

Garganey present since Mar 1st; No Sandwich Terns in that area for the last couple of weeks, only one at Christchurch a couple of times in February;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back