• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

similar species (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Just looking at Black Redstart here - https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Black_Redstart and wanted to compare to Common Redstart. From that page I don't see a way to go to a) a similar/confusion species such as Common Redstart or b) the next or previous species in the taxonomy.

Am I missing something? I think both could be rather useful in some cases. Certainly under 'identification' a subtitle 'similar species' and then a link to the opus entry for Common Redstart would be great ...

... similarly for some other confusion species it would be a bonus/useful I'm sure (and only a small percentage of all entries I would think).

Worth a thought for the future? Cheers!

(I see at the bottom you can click on 'Phoenicurus', but that doesn't help in any id issues).

Last edited:
Hi Dan

Similar Species done: Please feel free to add any information into it that you think would be helpful. (just click the Edit button beside the subheading).

To reach the taxonomy, look above the Contents Box and you will see the scientific name, the first part of which is a link to the Genus page, All the related families and information about them are in there.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dan

Similar Species done: Please feel free to add any information into it that you think would be helpful. (just click the Edit button beside the subheading).

To reach the taxonomy, look above the Contents Box and you will see the scientific name, the first part of which is a link to the Genus page, All the related families and information about them are in there.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Delia, cool. I don't see an edit button though??

Dan, do you see an edit at the top of the page? What happens when you click it?

similar species is a heading added by the individual editing the page but not to every page. Please either add this yourself or alert like this if you feel one is needed
Niels

Dan, do you see an edit at the top of the page? What happens when you click it?

similar species is a heading added by the individual editing the page but not to every page. Please either add this yourself or alert like this if you feel one is needed
Niels
I don't see an edit button anywhere - where should I be looking?

Attachments

• br.png
    br.png
    329 KB · Views: 6
Hi Dan

I've circled where the Edit button should be in the page. Is it not there for you?

My understanding is that only New Members are unable to edit articles and it may mean Ollie has some more tweaking to do.

EDIT: LOL sorry Dan, seem to have cross-posted with you.

Attachments

• BF Black Redstart edit.png
    BF Black Redstart edit.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 2
I can see the 'Edit' button; what I can't see is the 'Move page' button that was present just after the upgrade. Obviously not needed for Black Redstart, but it is for a lot of site pages which have typos and missing accents, etc. in their page titles

I don't see an edit button anywhere - where should I be looking?
Hmmmm.... top left, where History and View Source is, should also contain an Edit tab. That one would open the whole article for editing. The one I showed you above is just for the section.

I've sent a report to Admin Dan, so hopefully the Edit facility should be sorted for you before too long .... mind it is the weekend and it is New Year holiday, so might take a bit longer than normal! ;) 🍺

Thanks Delia ;-)

No problem, hopefully they won't do it as an urgent matter because then I would feel I had to start editing asap lol ...

Good evening Michael,
The eligibility to move a page has been limited to the admin/approved Opus editors. Please provide proposals for move into this section of the forum.

Niels

Good evening Michael,
The eligibility to move a page has been limited to the admin/approved Opus editors. Please provide proposals for move into this section of the forum.

Niels
Thanks! How does one apply to become an admin / approved editor?

As for my qualifications, see the moves I did during the period just after the upgrade when page moves were open. Also I am an admin on Wiki Commons, and an admin & sysop on Wikispecies, so I am very familiar with wiki editing.

For one page move, Mockelmossen (Oland) needs to be moved to its correct spelling Möckelmossen (Öland). There are numerous more similar examples. It would be a lot easier if I can just get on with this, instead of having to post each one here and wait for someone else to do the move.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back