• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small sparrow-style Texas birds, and some sort of tail-fluttering black bird. (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
These were taken at a small low-water bridge over a shallow river. First picture is a different individual, 2, 3 and 4 are all the same one. They both looked about sparrow-sized, and were hopping around in a small tree, not doing anything too remarkable as small birds go. I lost track of them before I could get closer for better pictures. That second one is a yellow-rumped warbler, right?
What are some good resources for learning to tell the difference between various sparrow-like birds? Is there a book on something like "bitty striped American birds and how to tell them apart"?
1611275407700.png1611275416759.png
1611275446010.png1611275458296.png

This guy was in the top of a tree, shouting. He kept fluttering his tail around, rapidly fanning and closing it. I can't particularly describe most of his calls, but a couple of them sounded like the rusty-gate noises a common grackle makes. He looked about as big as a grackle typically is, but I didn't see others around and I've never seen a grackle flutter like this. He also didn't have the shiny blue head a common grackle has, and the tail looked a bit shorter. I couldn't see any other colors on him, just the black. Any thoughts?
1611275595930.png1611275603023.png

If anyone is near Austin, Mankin's Crossing might be worth checking out. I found it because of all these INaturalist sightings. I saw at least one species sandpiper-shaped bird, though not well enough to be sure if there was more than one species. There was a flock of about 10. I also saw a belted kingfisher, a couple of duck-shaped birds flying overhead, and a nice variety of assorted birds I didn't get a good enough look at.

Last edited:
#2, 3, and 4 in the first batch are Yellow-rumped Warblers. The first one might be too. Looking at the second photo in the second batch I think it might be a male Red-winged Blackbird.

I thought red-winged blackbird as well, but he definitely didn't have the red wing parts. I got a good look through my binoculars before taking the bad picture. Do they ever not have the red wings? A bit large for a starling, and I've never seen a starling fluttering its tail around that way.

Oh, you're right, there is a tiny sliver of red! I didn't see that in person. I wonder why he wasn't showing the patch off, since he was up in a tree being showy? Will have to see if I can spot him again when he's in a more display-prone mood.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back